Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

WCC - Expansion Agreed?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,554 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

For me, if we are to go past the World Champions and have a notion that there is more to our game than England, Australia with a bit of New Zealand, any expanded comp should have space for the French Champions, PNG Champs amongst others, even if these are jsut as bit part qualifying matches.

thats pretty much out the FIFA world club cup is done.....the european & south american champions go straight into the semi final..with the other 2 spots decided by qualifications games between the other regional club champions..

Edited by roughyedspud, 13 February 2013 - 01:01 PM.

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#22 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,554 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

double post

Edited by roughyedspud, 13 February 2013 - 01:01 PM.

OLDHAM RLFC

#23 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,151 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

if they are going to make a competition out of it i'd suggest both grand finalists from each comp, plus the minor premiers. If one of the grand finalists is the minor premier you then go down to the next best finishing team in the league.

play the games home and away throughout the season (won't happen i know), in a round robin tournament and the top two teams play off in the final, played a few weeks prior to the SL/NRL play-offs starting.

English refs in the games played in Aus. Aus refs in the games played in England.

would probably lead to players/clubs complaining about too many games, but would be the best and fairest in my opinion.

for such a thing to happen though we'd probably see any International competitions planned suffering, which is why any expanded WCC wont go beyond the mentioned 1v1, 2v2, 3v3..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#24 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,602 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

For me, if we are to go past the World Champions and have a notion that there is more to our game than England, Australia with a bit of New Zealand, any expanded comp should have space for the French Champions, PNG Champs amongst others, even if these are jsut as bit part qualifying matches.

Surely European entry (France, Wales, etc) would come through the Super League? Having the French Champions over Catalans would be farcical.
Same in Australasia via the NRL.

It should only be available to fully professional sides qualifying in fully professional leagues, otherwise it would be completely unworkable.
Posted Image

#25 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,602 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

if they are going to make a competition out of it i'd suggest both grand finalists from each comp, plus the minor premiers. If one of the grand finalists is the minor premier you then go down to the next best finishing team in the league.

play the games home and away throughout the season (won't happen i know), in a round robin tournament and the top two teams play off in the final, played a few weeks prior to the SL/NRL play-offs starting.

English refs in the games played in Aus. Aus refs in the games played in England.

would probably lead to players/clubs complaining about too many games, but would be the best and fairest in my opinion.

for such a thing to happen though we'd probably see any International competitions planned suffering, which is why any expanded WCC wont go beyond the mentioned 1v1, 2v2, 3v3..

You'd have to cut the domestic season here to fit it in (NRL is already pretty short so no issue, especially if the money is right).

But if you cut our domestic season, what do the other clubs do for 3-4 weeks to bring in revenue?
You'd need some sort of competition for them to bring up the number if games.
Posted Image

#26 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

If this is the ridiculous 6-team format that Gary Hetherington came up with, then it'll probably do more damage to the WCC than good.

Can anyone see the benefit of 1v1, 2v2, 3v3?!

They're obviously looking at the runaway success of last year's Anglo-French comp. Seriously, what a load of ######.

Good news that it looks like they're finally taking the game down under though.

Still think the one-off pre-season game could be a winner but mucking about with it like this won't help.
There's no dignity in plastic seats

#27 rhino1984

rhino1984
  • Players
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

I dont understand all the abuse this idea is getting on here.
Whatever concept they go with its a step in the right direction for raising the profile of the game, especially in this country as the world club challenge is loved by fans and players and draws in a huge sky audience.
We know that our top teams can compete against there aussie counterparts and the result is normally a fantastic game of rugby.
Great idea for me im just not sure of the logistics of it all, especially when we take the games down under, as our season kicks off a few weeks before theirs.

#28 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,554 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

work this problem out.....3v3,2v2,1v1...

sounds a great day out,a triple header in the australian sun....great....ok what happens when we host it?

unless we book the millennium stadium...forget about it....due to the 6 nations i doubt we could book it in feb anyway .

OLDHAM RLFC

#29 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

Surely European entry (France, Wales, etc) would come through the Super League? Having the French Champions over Catalans would be farcical.
Same in Australasia via the NRL.

It should only be available to fully professional sides qualifying in fully professional leagues, otherwise it would be completely unworkable.

Yep fair point there but was trying to give an exanple to meaning World.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#30 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

work this problem out.....3v3,2v2,1v1...

sounds a great day out,a triple header in the australian sun....great....ok what happens when we host it?

unless we book the millennium stadium...forget about it....due to the 6 nations i doubt we could book it in feb anyway .

Why does it have to be a triple header?

Three seperate games at the home of the host team is fine. 20,000 at Leeds, 20,000 at Wigan and then 15,000 at Warrington for example (or wherever the teams would want to play) Great spectacles!

#31 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

Won't the idea be that the three teams play each other over three weekends? Following that the Final?
If 2012 is a guide then surely Leeds & Wire as Grand Finalists plus Wigan as League Leaders.

Very easy to take games out of the season.
Take Magic out the League and transfer it to the C Cup at the last 16 stage.
Have SL clubs enter the C Cup at the Magic Weekend.
Reduce the play offs to two or three weekends. With a top 8 it's 1v8 2 v7 in a straight knockout over three weeks rather than four.
If you reduce the play offs to two weeks then a top thre or four play off.

That's three or four weekends out of the League season to accomodate the six club WCC.

#32 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,679 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

Apart from Cookie getting the spelling wrong - it should be "Roughyed ....ruining the game," not "running the game", this thread is true to pattern. i.e whatever it is, even though we don't know what it is, it is rubbish.

#33 Brisvegan

Brisvegan
  • Coach
  • 177 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

yeah yeah....6 teams, producing 2 meaningless games is bleeding stupid...

Why so damned negative? Hetherington has apparently had some successful negotiations with those selfish NRL evil-doers who've been holding the game back for years. But no, you just assume the bloke who has successfully run the Rhinos for years doesn't have a clue.Thank heavens it's people like him who have the most say in how the English game is run and not professional whingers like you.

Edited by Brisvegan, 13 February 2013 - 03:05 PM.

#34 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 364 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

For me I would have top four from each with a straight knock out quarters would be (A)SL1 V NRL4, (B) SL2 V NRL3, ©NRL1 V SL4 AND (D)NRL2 V SL3. The semis being winner of match A v winner of match D and winners of match B v winners of match C .
Chief Crazy Eagle

#35 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

Great idea for me im just not sure of the logistics of it all, especially when we take the games down under, as our season kicks off a few weeks before theirs.

We could look at a Challenge Cup bye in the current format, bit trickier for the six team format (which is rubbish).
There's no dignity in plastic seats

#36 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

The question is, which 6 teams?

Top 3? That could exclude champions
Grand Finalists plus in the league would probably be the best bet

But should there be a slot for the Challenge Cup winner?

yes I think it will rejuvenate the comp
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#37 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,554 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

Why so damned negative? Hetherington has apparently had some successful negotiations with those selfish NRL evil-doers who've been holding the game back for years. But no, you just assume the bloke who has successfully run the Rhinos for years doesn't have a clue.Thank heavens it's people like him who have the most say in how the English game is run and not professional whingers like you.

whats the point of 3v3 & 2v2??

we struggle massively to convince the australia fans & media that the wcc is more than just a trial game.....adding 2 pointless games is'nt going to change their opinion....

if we are to add 2 games to the concept...add 2 semi finals....leading too a final....turning it into a meaningful competition with 3 massively meaningful games....

apparently wanting the WCC to be a competitive COMPETITION makes me a bad person....GOOD

OLDHAM RLFC

#38 Brisvegan

Brisvegan
  • Coach
  • 177 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

I just don't see what's not to like about about some extra games of rugby league
between the best club teams in the game? What do you make of this?

''It's all meant to integrate with the international calendar. If there's an international tournament in one hemisphere, then the World Club Challenge will be in the other.''
Expanding the competition to six teams in 2015 - in the UK - will make it 18 years for the concept to have recovered from the disastrously lopsided 1997 competition.
Hetherington said a schedule for five to six seasons had been agreed on, moving between hemispheres and between two- and six-team formats. While he has been pushing for an expanded WCC for some years, it's understood this time the Australasian clubs are on the same page. ''Down the track, we see this becoming a valuable TV commodity and hopefully a vehicle for promoting rugby league in new markets, such as Dubai or Hong Kong,'' Hetherington said."

It's not clear what the format will be, but maybe the intention is that some of the qualifying ties will be played in Dubai or Hong Kong? As far as the concept being taken seriously in Oz is concerned it's good news the game is returning there.

#39 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,554 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

the format is 3v3,2v2 & 1v1.....

OLDHAM RLFC

#40 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,554 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:36 AM

just so we're clear what the plan is....

http://www.smh.com.a...l#ixzz2KrGCeVQD

Every year Leeds play in the World Club Challenge, their CEO Gary Hetherington offers to play it in Australia and calls for the concept to be expanded.
Every year, nothing of the sort happens.

But things are different this time. In the middle of last season, South Sydney chief executive Shane Richardson flew to England for talks with Hetherington, Warrington "pop impresario" Simon Moran and Wigan's Ian Lenagan.

They agreed to play the WCC in the opposite hemisphere to internationals in each season for the next five, and to trial an expanded competition every second year.

The six-team comp in 2015 does not mean six teams have a chance of being crowned world champions. It means the game will be played as part of a Super League v NRL "Test" series.

On a single weekend in February 2015, Super League will be paused and on Friday night the third-finishing teams in each comp will meet, followed by the second-finishing on Saturday – with the WCC on Sunday.

This concept has the backing of NRL clubs – but the key is selling it as a separate television product and building it up to the point that states and cities bid to host it.

Playing the WCC in Australia next year will have no impact at all on the All Stars or the planned Auckland Nines – instead the pre-season will start to generate some real momentum (throw in the Charity Shield as well).

Although the clubs support these ideas, they still need to be signed off on by the Australian Rugby League Commission and the Rugby Football League.

so that means

2014 - single game WCC played in australia

2015 - 6 team NRL V ESL "test series" played in uk

2016 - single game WCC played in australia

2017 - 6 team NRL v ESL "test series" played in uk

what a shambles...why #### about between the 2 types of "wcc" ?? also how can they say they are chasing a TV deal when the concept is different every year???

OLDHAM RLFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users