Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

WCC - Expansion Agreed?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

just so we're clear what the plan is....

http://www.smh.com.a...l#ixzz2KrGCeVQD

[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color]

so that means

2014 - single game WCC played in australia

2015 - 6 team NRL V ESL "test series" played in uk

2016 - single game WCC played in australia

2017 - 6 team NRL v ESL "test series" played in uk

what a shambles...why #### about between the 2 types of "wcc" ?? also how can they say they are chasing a TV deal when the concept is different every year???

It's a step in the right direction.

The only concern I have with the Top 3 (though if Hetherington was involved in negotiations, I'm sure this has been thought of) is that the champions might not be involved in the comp

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#42 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

If the WCC's in the opposite hemisphere to the season's internationals, I suppose we can expect a 4 Nations up here in 2014. Thought it was pencilled in for Australia/ NZ.
There's no dignity in plastic seats

#43 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,552 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

exactly.....the 2017 world cup is being held down under.......

as is the 2014 4nations...the deal was sorted 6months ago when big nigel went down under

none of the WCC news makes any sense.........and the way i read it brooza....is that wigan,leeds & warrington have agreed to be the 3 teams that go down under for the 6 team NRL v ESL series........

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#44 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,596 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

The main reason I don't like the idea of 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 is that it reinforces the feeling that the WCC is just a meaningless friendly. By adding two COMPLETELY meaningless games to it, how is it meant to be taken MORE seriously? It is not a step in the right direction at all. It will do more harm than good IMO.

On top of this, it isn't even going to be a regular occurance. It's just an appalling strategy.

For those questioning the format (and thinking there's a possibility it wouldn't include the champions), I'm guessing when they mean 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 they mean after the play-off series, and not the league standings. So Leeds would be 1st (champions), Warrington 2nd (GF runners up) and Wigan 3rd (highest placed semi finalists). Coincidentally, that would be the SL Champs, the CC winners and the LLS winners.
Posted Image

#45 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

Don't understand the assumption that the Aussies would hammer us. Wire, Leeds, Wigan and maybe Saints and Hull would be able to compete against NRL sides.

In 1997, the far weaker side of the Super League Wars in Australia competed in the World Club Challenge.
The Super League Rebel Clubs gave it their best shot.
They made a good fist of it though but it had little interest or support in the pro ARL League community in Australia.

http://en.wikipedia....ub_Championship

Aftermath

The dominance of the Australasian sides in the competition led to the Rugby Football League appointing Joe Lydon to head a commission to provide an explanation.[2]

Its a wase of time in an already congested season in both Leagues.
With the end of quality players moving to English Clubs and the NRL Clubs cherry picking the best English players does anyone think it will get MORE competitive than it was then
Look at the scores, it was mass thrashings in many cases.

Edited by AndyCapp, 14 February 2013 - 01:10 PM.

#46 Brisvegan

Brisvegan
  • Coach
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

The main reason I don't like the idea of 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 is that it reinforces the feeling that the WCC is just a meaningless friendly. By adding two COMPLETELY meaningless games to it, how is it meant to be taken MORE seriously? It is not a step in the right direction at all. It will do more harm than good IMO.

On top of this, it isn't even going to be a regular occurance. It's just an appalling strategy.

For those questioning the format (and thinking there's a possibility it wouldn't include the champions), I'm guessing when they mean 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 they mean after the play-off series, and not the league standings. So Leeds would be 1st (champions), Warrington 2nd (GF runners up) and Wigan 3rd (highest placed semi finalists). Coincidentally, that would be the SL Champs, the CC winners and the LLS winners.

I don't see how it dilutes the WCC match itself - that will still be between the champions of each league. As the game is envisaged to be played in February in the following year I frankly don't get how the question of the SL champions not being involved even arises? If you're really determined to be negative and assume the two other matches will be pointless, fair enough. Personally I don't understand what's not to like about getting the chance to see the best NRL teams play over here and it just winds me up how some so called fans here aren't happy unless they're running down people like Hetherington who are trying to build something.
Give it a chance.

#47 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

You would be better off building up the Test Games where it would at least be competitive.

Would it be better to have a 3 Test series between England and Australia or...

Leeds V Storm
Warrington V Dogs
Wigan V Souths

If the Australian Clubs put out a full side and its Apples and Apples and whipped the English Clubs in Australia what then?
Will they get better next year?
It will have the Legs of the Exiles concept.

#48 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

You would be better off building up the Test Games where it would at least be competitive.
You have National teams playing and Media attention if it is competitive, Clubs like Warrington and Hull will have little pulling power in Australia with the media or Fans.

Would it be better to have a 3 Test series between England and Australia or...

Leeds V Storm
Warrington V Dogs
Wigan V Souths

If the Australian Clubs put out a full side and its Apples and Apples and whipped the English Clubs in Australia what then?
Will they get better next year?
It will have the Legs of the Exiles concept.

#49 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

I don't see how it dilutes the WCC match itself - that will still be between the champions of each league. As the game is envisaged to be played in February in the following year I frankly don't get how the question of the SL champions not being involved even arises? If you're really determined to be negative and assume the two other matches will be pointless, fair enough. Personally I don't understand what's not to like about getting the chance to see the best NRL teams play over here and it just winds me up how some so called fans here aren't happy unless they're running down people like Hetherington who are trying to build something.
Give it a chance.

What would it be if it was diluted anymore than it currently is?
Whats less than water? if you live in Brisbane you would know the WCC gets very little coverage and barely a mention in a League mad City like Brisbane.
They play the game on TV at 1 am or something two days after its played on channel Nine.

#50 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

if you live in Brisbane you would know the WCC gets very little coverage and barely a mention in a League mad City like Brisbane.

Probably because Brisbane never play in it

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#51 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,596 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

I don't see how it dilutes the WCC match itself - that will still be between the champions of each league.

The match is already seen by many as just an exhibition (I don't see it that way). By attaching two ACTUAL exhibition games to it, it makes it appear more like an exhibition.

Sometimes less is more.

As the game is envisaged to be played in February in the following year I frankly don't get how the question of the SL champions not being involved even arises?

Because some people have perceived 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 to mean league positions. Leeds finishing 5th wouldn't qualify if that was the case.
It obviously isn't the case, but it needs clarifying for those that can't work it out.

If you're really determined to be negative and assume the two other matches will be pointless, fair enough.

It's not being negative, they literally are pointless. They are friendlies. You don't win anything. No league points. No qualification. No trophy. No prize money has been mentioned.

Personally I don't understand what's not to like about getting the chance to see the best NRL teams play over here and it just winds me up how some so called fans here aren't happy unless they're running down people like Hetherington who are trying to build something.
Give it a chance.

If it's a pointless game, it won't be the best teams. It'll be some pretty good teams going through the motions in a nothing game. It's a shocking format that will generate very little interest from both sides of the world.
If the games had some actual meaning, then it would be FANTASTIC news. But they don't.
Posted Image

#52 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

Probably because Brisbane never play in it

Do you think?

Only 5 times and I think they were deprived of competing a few times as the WCC was not held some years as its that flaky sort of game like the honour of the the Golden Boot recently where there is no rhyme or reason.

Edited by AndyCapp, 14 February 2013 - 02:10 PM.

#53 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

The leeds chairman or owner, not sure what he is appears to try and punch beyond his weight.
I do not think Leeds and what they want carries much weight with NRL heavyweights to be honest.
He says plenty about the WCC and has for years, how much has happened? when sales people do that people stop listening to them, its Spin at best and more likely ######.

Edited by AndyCapp, 14 February 2013 - 02:03 PM.

#54 Brisvegan

Brisvegan
  • Coach
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

I take your points Wellsy. I'm just prepared to give Hetherington the benefit of the doubt - I have to assume he's taken into account all your reservations.
The concept of a "test series" of 3 club matches is, it has to be said, a bit left field and this biennial aspect is only "experimental". Apparently.
I just hang onto to the very good news that NRL clubs are at last taking it more seriously and that the stand alone WCC fixture is returning downunder.

#55 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,596 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

I take your points Wellsy. I'm just prepared to give Hetherington the benefit of the doubt - I have to assume he's taken into account all your reservations.
The concept of a "test series" of 3 club matches is, it has to be said, a bit left field and this biennial aspect is only "experimental". Apparently.
I just hang onto to the very good news that NRL clubs are at last taking it more seriously and that the stand alone WCC fixture is returning downunder.

I just don't understand how this idea has come up though. It's not expanding the WCC at all. It's still one game between 2 teams. It's completely unnecessary and by the look of people's opinions unwanted. It just looks set up to fail.

The competition needs expanding to more than one game between more than two teams.
Posted Image

#56 GezH

GezH
  • Players
  • 92 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

What would it be if it was diluted anymore than it currently is?
Whats less than water? if you live in Brisbane you would know the WCC gets very little coverage and barely a mention in a League mad City like Brisbane.
They play the game on TV at 1 am or something two days after its played on channel Nine.

The point that the only time it was played in Brisbane 52,000 turned out at the old ANZ to see Wigan win. No interest? Doubt it myself look at how Lang park fills for games which would probably get 12,000 in the NRL-centric Sydney. What does the modern Lang park hold 50k+? My guess is 50k+ would turn out.
Continuing to fly the RL flag and introduce more and more folk to the greatest game in North Lincs
Posted Image

#57 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

I just don't understand how this idea has come up though. It's not expanding the WCC at all. It's still one game between 2 teams. It's completely unnecessary and by the look of people's opinions unwanted. It just looks set up to fail.

The competition needs expanding to more than one game between more than two teams.

Other than a suggested format last year, why are you assuming that the 1v1 2v2 3v3 is the format chosen?

#58 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,596 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

Other than a suggested format last year, why are you assuming that the 1v1 2v2 3v3 is the format chosen?

http://m.smh.com.au/...l#ixzz2KrGCeVQD

"The six-team comp in 2015 does not mean six teams have a chance of being crowned world champions. It means the game will be played as part of a Super League v NRL "Test" series."
Posted Image

#59 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

http://m.smh.com.au/...l#ixzz2KrGCeVQD

"The six-team comp in 2015 does not mean six teams have a chance of being crowned world champions. It means the game will be played as part of a Super League v NRL "Test" series."

Ah! Fair enough, must have missed that!

Not keen on that format but I would still love to go see Leeds v Souths/Dogs/Storm/Broncos etc even if that was 3v3.

#60 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,552 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

its a joke....and most of the aussies on the LU forum think its a joke too....

nothing more than a vanity project by leeds,wigan & warrington

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users