TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

The embarrasing apathy of Dewsbury people

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

Yeah i am proud !!!!

im proud ive opened my mouth in a constructive
manor to try to bring ideas to the table for raising cash...but yet no fans join it to add ideas
givening proof to the title of the thread.

and my last comment just shows keith just might have a point about the fans he complains about.

#22 alienboy

alienboy
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

WR makes some good points. The fact that the DREMA and squadbuilder exists may not be apparent to many fans. Why not do more team sheets with details of these on the reverse side. Posters in all the bars would help too. DREMA results on the web site would be a good idea.

#23 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

All decent ideas coolie but you cant impliment none of it without a group of dedicated individuals with the required skills and mind set to make it work, Batley were lucky, when i formed it we had someone who had someone with some financial experience and knew an Auditor so he was a shoe in for treasurer, we had myself with photographic and desktop publishing experience who could produce the flyers/newsletters, we had Colin who runs a printing business who could print all out promo materials, we had Peter who was prepared to give up loads of time as secretary and chase up leads, do the minutes, contact new business investors, and sponsors etc, etc, all in all the first 3/4 people on board were an amazing collection of skilled like minded individuals who worked well as a whole and those who drip fed in later also added something unique to the mix.

I would say first of all you need the right people, get those right and the product will follow.

And it must be 100% independant from the club, the only club official who should have any input at all into how any of the money is used in the coach

One of the most sensible posts ever seen on this forum. Well done Gary. I would love to help more. I do already spend a fortune on the club, but what we need is capable people who are able to donate "time". For me this is more difficult than putting into squadbuilder, buying season tickets etc..

Raffles, etc are not what is needed in the long term. Its having the people Gary describes to take things forward and this is difficult. I note with some disappointment too that despite the appointment of the media team the information direct from the club and posted on this forum seems to have fallen since Tom left. I dont know the details of what happened with Tom, but its people like him we need to get on board and help drive the club forward. There was one young man we needed to keep.
As others have said its easy to "slag" people off, but I dont ever think we have been as commercially savy as Batley. One example was holding the Terrace building dinner on the second week of January. Another is increasing the charge for season tickets by 43%, selling less and potentially missing out on money form Eric France . I cant believe that this was thought through and in all likelyhood could have cost the club more than a few bob.

#24 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:32 AM

I do not remember seeing the offer from Eric France for this season. If someone could confirm whether this offer was made it would end the debate

We have sold 460 season tickets, not substantially less than last season, yes a 43% rise but still the cheapest in the division and overall the club has generated more revenue.

The club has to generate income to keep the club running and to pay for players. The less money the club gets the smaller the playing budget the poorer the team and then "fans" will be demanding more money to be spent on players.

But agree about not thinking things through is right. Holding the dinner mid-jan was not the best timing.

Since Tom has left, the communication from the club has pretty much dried up. If the club want the fans to engage and join DREMA and Squadbuilder then the club needs to engage with the fans.

Edited by Wakefield Ram, 16 February 2013 - 08:40 AM.

#25 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

Fair enough on the season ticket front. The last figure I heard was 380. 460 is good enough.

#26 Wilsden Ram

Wilsden Ram
  • Coach
  • 245 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

Nick D - As already explained the Fundraising Dinner was held on 18th January to accomodate availabilty of personnel and the Royal suite. I suspect that 'Fans' will always
compain about the timing as it will be

Too near Christmas
Too near Easter
In the Holiday Season
Etc Etc Etc

The Club is proposing to hold a Legends Function on Friday 17th May - hope that this will be enough
time to plan to attend and save up the money. Or will it be too near the May Day and Spring Bank Holidays?

GFDU is right and despite what fans believe, there are quite a number of people who volutarily give a great deal of time
to helping the club and overcoming various setbacks which are never made public.

The Eric France offer did not apply to Season 2013.

Update on the Terracing Project.

Planning Permission was granted on 31st January 2013 BUT there are further conditions to
satisfy in respect of Emergency Lighting and Construction Method which should be overcome
by the end of Next Week.

The Original target Date of 17th March is therefore not acheivable and I think that the April 28th Fixture
against Workington will be the likely opening Date. Unfortunately the Easter Monday game with Batley will be too
soon as the build may be almost complete by then but the Council Inspection, Load Testing and Certification will
not be performed until full completion of Construction. Incidentally, the delay is as frustrating for me as it will be to all Fans
but I have dealt with matters associated to this project almost daily since the beginning of December.

#27 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

Wilsden Ram - thanks for the update.

"GFDU is right and despite what fans believe, there are quite a number of people who volutarily give a great deal of time
to helping the club and overcoming various setbacks which are never made public."

What you and others are doing actually proves that fans are not apathetic, but one of the things the club should do is publicise what people do.

I have been a member of DREMA and Squadbuilder from the start and would have to say have been told nothing about where the money goes, which players Squadbuilder has helped sign etc... It is not surprising that fans lose interest and in the day of e-mail and websites, it costs nothing to put this information on a forum/Rams website.

Edited by Wakefield Ram, 16 February 2013 - 01:58 PM.

#28 creditwhereitsdews

creditwhereitsdews
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

I'd been a member of the DREMA draw from day one but pulled out on principle when the dual registration with Bradford was announced last autumn. I would reconsider were that arrangement to end. A few years back I also submitted two forms, via the club shop, to pay a monthly sum into Squadbuilder. However, both times after doing so I heard nothing from the club and no money ever left my account. So no apathy on my part there.

#29 Flying 5

Flying 5
  • Coach
  • 122 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

Just read the above. A lot of rhetoric and some good ideas. I'll be the first to say. I'll help. We all have contacts we can use (I know Tom quite well, I'm sure I could talk him into helping)), we might not be Richard Branson or even an accountant, we can talk about it all day long on here and get nowhere, or agree to move this idea forward.
So, where to start? A show of support on here would be good, so far we've got 1.
Next, an informal meeting. A pub is probably the best place, perhaps not at the Rams, I agree, independence is important.
Next, arrange a slightly more formal meeting, again at a neutral venue, publicise this well....... I suppose we'd have to discuss what comes next.
I see this as being great fun if it's done with the right ethos.

#30 PockRam

PockRam
  • Players
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

I think the problem lies in having the right people to run something that would raise money. A lot of good ideas on here but it takes time and committment to ensure that a scheme like this is successful. Gary, do you know how many man hours the BISSA organisers spend on doing the type of tasks you mentioned?

You need someone who is great with IT to set up a website. Facebook and Twitter is free. From that you can publicise any proposed events. I'm sure the Reporter and Press would allow the 'Supporters Trust' a monthly column to promote what's going on etc.

Have the club looked at hosting an amateur Rugby 9's at the stadium? Once overheads are covered all profit from the bar and a BBQ run by the Squadbuilder goes into the pot. Charge people to enter (cpl quid etc) and you can easily make a decent amount of money. I've seen first hand what a succesful 7's tournament can do for an amateur club.

#31 Flying 5

Flying 5
  • Coach
  • 122 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

Again, great idea Pock Ram. I accept that it might be a challenge, especially initially. But let's have a go. we'll never know until we try. Let's say we get half a dozen or so to start with, part of our first few tasks will be to swell numbers. If we make it a social event as well as a fund raiser that shouldn't be too hard. Then as our numbers swell we could be a bit more ambitious.
If we share the work I think we can achieve a lot.

#32 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,268 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

Gary, do you know how many man hours the BISSA organisers spend on doing the type of tasks you mentioned?

How long is a piece of string, seriously the amount if time individuals put in depends on what you want to get out of it

I might be talking out of turn but im pretty sure if you have a chat with the guys who now run BISSA they will offer much advice freely, after all when i/we kicked it all off i/we asked for advice from Hunslet and Leigh squadbuilder officials and they were more than helpful, Batley want to see a strong and competitive Dewsbury (but not as strong as themselves)

Go for it guys

#33 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

Nick D - As already explained the Fundraising Dinner was held on 18th January to accomodate availabilty of personnel and the Royal suite. I suspect that 'Fans' will always
compain about the timing as it will be

Too near Christmasi
Too near Easter
In the Holiday Season
Etc Etc Etc

The Club is proposing to hold a Legends Function on Friday 17th May - hope that this will be enough
time to plan to attend and save up the money. Or will it be too near the May Day and Spring Bank Holidays?

GFDU is right and despite what fans believe, there are quite a number of people who volutarily give a great deal of time
to helping the club and overcoming various setbacks which are never made public.

The Eric France offer did not apply to Season 2013.

Update on the Terracing Project.

Planning Permission was granted on 31st January 2013 BUT there are further conditions to
satisfy in respect of Emergency Lighting and Construction Method which should be overcome
by the end of Next Week.

The Original target Date of 17th March is therefore not acheivable and I think that the April 28th Fixture
against Workington will be the likely opening Date. Unfortunately the Easter Monday game with Batley will be too
soon as the build may be almost complete by then but the Council Inspection, Load Testing and Certification will
not be performed until full completion of Construction. Incidentally, the delay is as frustrating for me as it will be to all Fans
but I have dealt with matters associated to this project almost daily since the beginning of December.

Have we finally been given the go a head to start work on the terracing behind the sticks? Hope we can see the work started by the time of our next home game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users