Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

15/02/13 - St Helens v Hull FC - KO 8pm

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. St Helens (4 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. Hull FC (6 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. Draw (2 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:39 AM

Given that we were leading for most of that match I'd say Hull won a point and we lost one! Good game in the first half but progressively worse in the second, and I rather think that whatever Brown is doing with us, it is killing us in the last 10 minutes. We are not fit enough and I want to know why Brown thinks that Saints are Canterbury Bulldogs?? We don't have the talent to pass at the line. Only two forwards actually ran forward and did so to make yards; the rest ran like crabs.

I'd of thought you'd better thrush - ing forwards. Must be very irritating so far this season being a saint !!

#22 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:23 AM

I'd of thought you'd better thrush - ing forwards. Must be very irritating so far this season being a saint !!

Arf arf. ;)

#23 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

Couldn't make it lastnight but it sounds as of Holdsworth is going to be our signing of the season.

Edited by westhuller, 16 February 2013 - 08:49 AM.

#24 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:53 AM

If so, is that a bit under whelming?

#25 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:59 AM

Why he set 3 of our four tries up and did the same against Bradford I wouldn't say that was under whelming.

#26 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

But he is still rather less heralded than Ellis?

#27 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:17 AM

But he is still rather less heralded than Ellis?

But he's doing the business on the pitch, he has had more pressure on him than Ellis has had.

#28 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,718 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

Given that we were leading for most of that match I'd say Hull won a point and we lost one!

By the sounds of it, you were lucky to hold in at the end. Didn't Briscoe get a try disallowed for a forward pass that most agree wasn't?

You should be greatful for the point.
Posted Image

#29 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,374 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

We fans have been underwhelmed by many of Peter Gentle's signings.

He's proved us wrong time and time again.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#30 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

We fans have been underwhelmed by many of Peter Gentle's signings.

He's proved us wrong time and time again.

Sounds as if Johnson could fall into that bracket apparently he was absolutely outstanding last night.

#31 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

By the sounds of it, you were lucky to hold in at the end. Didn't Briscoe get a try disallowed for a forward pass that most agree wasn't?

No idea whether it was a forward pass. I couldn't even tell the difference between players at that end of the pitch so far away from the action are the West Stand fans. I would imagine there were only a relative handful of speccies able to judge as there are two empty sections in the north stand at that end and those behind the posts won't be able to tell (lose depth of field behind the posts). The only people able to judge will have been in the south east corner. So 'most' really means 'a small percentage of the crowd at the stadium'!

We were playing well until we lost Wello to injury. That meant we had to rely on Turner (wing) and Soliola (centre) for defence. Funny how you scored two of your late tries down that side. That's all I'm sayin!

#32 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,718 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

No idea whether it was a forward pass. I couldn't even tell the difference between players at that end of the pitch so far away from the action are the West Stand fans. I would imagine there were only a relative handful of speccies able to judge as there are two empty sections in the north stand at that end and those behind the posts won't be able to tell (lose depth of field behind the posts). The only people able to judge will have been in the south east corner. So 'most' really means 'a small percentage of the crowd at the stadium'!

We were playing well until we lost Wello to injury. That meant we had to rely on Turner (wing) and Soliola (centre) for defence. Funny how you scored two of your late tries down that side. That's all I'm sayin!

I didn't see the game, I'm just going off the convo I had with my mate from St Helens.

But it is amusing how much you're trying to justify the opinion that you can only tell a pass is forward if you're sat in a specific part if the ground!
Posted Image

#33 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

But it is amusing how much you're trying to justify the opinion that you can only tell a pass is forward if you're sat in a specific part if the ground!

No justification needed. If you are watching a match from behind the sticks you lose depth of field. Therefore you can't see in which direction the ball is travelling or how the hands are placed adjacent to the body. You can see whether players are standing behind each other but that doesn't necessarily mean a pass isn't forward. If you are sitting along the touchline then you do have depth of field. That is why it is touch judges who should be calling the forward passes: they have the best sightline.

Have you visited Langtree Park yet? If you have then you'll know just how far away from the action the players are when you are behind the sticks and they are at the opposite end of the field.

#34 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,374 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

Sounds as if Johnson could fall into that bracket apparently he was absolutely outstanding last night.

He's a very good example. Last night's star larker according to today's HDM.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#35 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,718 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

No justification needed. If you are watching a match from behind the sticks you lose depth of field.

My word!

Have you visited Langtree Park yet? If you have then you'll know just how far away from the action the players are when you are behind the sticks and they are at the opposite end of the field.

I have. It doesn't mean your depth perception has gone!
Posted Image

#36 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

I have. It doesn't mean your depth perception has gone!

Er no. It doesn't. It means either your eyesight is knackered or the players are simply too far away. But then I didn't suggest that being far away from the players had any impact on depth perception did I. :rolleyes:

#37 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,718 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

Er no. It doesn't. It means either your eyesight is knackered or the players are simply too far away. But then I didn't suggest that being far away from the players had any impact on depth perception did I. :rolleyes:

Yes you did.

If you are watching a match from behind the sticks you lose depth of field.

Posted Image

#38 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

Yes you did.

No I didn't.

I said that if you are watching from behind the sticks you lose depth of field, which you do.

I also said that I couldn't tell who the players were because at Langtree Park you are miles away from the action (not my exact words but that's the gist).

Either you're being obtuse or you have conflated my two statements.

#39 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

Wellsy and Saintslass, sitting in a (Lang)tree...

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#40 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,718 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:58 PM

No I didn't.

I said that if you are watching from behind the sticks you lose depth of field, which you do.

I also said that I couldn't tell who the players were because at Langtree Park you are miles away from the action (not my exact words but that's the gist).

Either you're being obtuse or you have conflated my two statements.

You're saying that you can't judge a forward pass unless you're in line with them, which isn't strictly true. They'd have a better view, and they'd have a better say, but that doesn't mean you can't if you're elsewhere.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users