League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

17/02/13 - London Broncos v Wakefield Trinity Wildcats - KO 3pm

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. London Broncos (11 votes [64.71%])

Percentage of vote: 64.71%

2. Wakefield Trinity Wildcats (6 votes [35.29%])

Percentage of vote: 35.29%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,178 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

Money is the big thing. Any sport/sports club would need it in abundance to make the required impact in London. The Bronco's don't have it, if they do they don't have the people in place to use it in the best fashion.

i've heard a number of people close to the club saying the people at the top really don't know what they are doing, a similar situation to what was happening with Salford.

Changes need to be made at the top, people need to be brought in who can run a sports club sensibly and successfully, and who can make the right decisions which will affect the team and how well the team can potentially play.

The Bronco's may well have invested a large amount of money in their current playing staff, but the vast majority of that investment has been seriously wasted as the players they've spent the money on, with one or two exceptions, just aren't anywhere good enough.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#42 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,790 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

The club needs to move away from the Stoop. A ridiculous place to play top class RL. Its almost as if someone within the club wanted to move the ub there knowing it would slowly destroy them.

It has always been a ###### place for RL with poor crowds. The crowds actually went down the year they came 2nd, after the silly move from Charlton in 96

#43 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

London were very poor today. We just cut through them at every opportunity today. Just really poor finishing saved their blushes. I think the similarity with Salford is a good one. They need someone with a decent bit of money and some real nous. It can't be that hard to make a success of the Broncos with all the groundwork that has been put in. Plenty of that team today were from the south, and there are more to come, but management at the Broncos seems to have been poor for a number of years, maybe because the owner has been out of his depth financially.

#44 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 488 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

I was at The Bridge and wish I hadn't bothered getting over to The Stoop.

I did intend to do the same. (I had my season ticket in my pocket). Unfortunately or fortunately I got distracted by an invitation to go to the Pelican by some very old friends!

#45 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 488 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

On a more serious note I think some should remember that it was only less than a year ago that almost all of the pundits on Sky were hailing the fact that we had a young ENGLISH coach of the quality of Rob Powell around. In regard to Brian Noble even if he were interested how long would he be likely to stay for?
To me what London needs is a period of success on the pitch. I thought there was a good buzz around at the beginning of this season but the results so far have poured some cold water on that. I hope Tony Rea can turn it around.
In regard to the attendance I don't think this has ever been a match with a big crowd.

#46 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,435 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

I am looking forward to seeing the game. Trinity are a decent side, while London have a lot of talent. I have loved watching hundreds of Bronco games over the years and would be sad to see them go, but I genuinely believe that we do not need a London team to keep up our profile in London. We should make sure there are half a dozen "events" in London every year - charity shield, an England game, millennium magic, a couple of on the road fixtures and an Exiles game (which would be an easier sell to London Anzacs than northerners). Londoners are more likely to turn out in numbers to watch Saints Wigan than Broncos against either of them. Virtually no Londoners associate themselves with London as a single concept. They are mostly from somewhere else or like their town within the city. The vichies get massive crowds for events involving no London teams with entertainment at the cheese rolling level solely because they are events.

sadly I find myself agreeing with this post.

#47 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,022 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

Not entirely sure why Chris Irvine had to tweet that Fev got a bigger crowd?

It's because he's a knobjockey.

HTH.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#48 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

It's all over bar the shouting for the London Broncos, I'm afraid. If anybody wants to watch SL rugby league in London then they'd better make the most of the remaining 11 home games. And when the club goes kaput the sport won't have another opportunity to establish itself at the top level for at least a decade to come, probably more.

Ultimately the responsibility for that lies with the game as a whole, because we weren't decisive enough to actually go for it, to make it happen despite the obstacles, to promote and defend the sport in difficult territory. No, it was far easier politically and financially to leave the club to stand or fall on its own. That's fine, priorities were made and decisions followed. But the game, as a whole, will soon see the consequences.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#49 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,022 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

It's all over bar the shouting for the London Broncos,

There's going to be some shouting?
- Severus, July 2012

#50 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

There's going to be some shouting?

Probably not. Even the most hardcore of Broncos fans, and I don't include myself in that company, seem to have given up. I believe that 'acceptance' is the final stage in dealing with a terminal illness.

There will, unfortunately, be some gloating in certain corners.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#51 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,022 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

Even the most hardcore of Broncos fans, and I don't include myself in that company, seem to have given up.

Indeed.

It's hard to cheer on a corpse.
- Severus, July 2012

#52 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

Having sat through last years tosh and seeing how the first two home performances have
gone I am left almost hoping that they do clear off to Gillingham next year so I
neednt bother wasting my time any further by following them.
Whatever happens I will see the rest of the campaign out in the hope I may just see some
real effort from more than a few players, or a desire to do more than turn in one abject
performance after another at home.
I thought we were bad enough at home to Widnes but at least we managed to get near the
oppos try line occasionally.
Sad to say also that Nadera is quite right in that most of those I speak to of the circle of season
ticket holders I know believe that the decay has well and truely started.

By the way well done Wakey, fortunately for us you missed a few otherwise it would and should have been 40 plus.

#53 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

As stated I went to this game, courtesy of some free tickets from one of the players. However, I had no idea this game was even on

I live 37 miles from the ground and it is nearly all motorway so I can be there in 40 minutes, I have been approximately 6 times before and have had my son registered as a Junior Quin or whatever it was for 2 seasons. I have used their online facility to buy tickets in the past.

I have never ever received one bit of marketing from the club.

I went yesterday, because it was free and hoped my lad would enjoy it enough to want to go again. However, the spectacle, the crowd, the atmosphere and the overall experience was nothing short of pitiful. I was desperate for him to come away and want to go back as I really want him to take on RL as his chosen sport, sadly not to be.

This shouldn’t take away from Wakefields performance, as “nilling” any superleague team away from home is commendable but Christ what an awful experience as a neutral.

The Bronbcos fans started singing “all we want is a decent referee” – sadly I can think of about 15 things they need more than a “decent referee”.
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#54 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

Probably not. Even the most hardcore of Broncos fans, and I don't include myself in that company, seem to have given up. I believe that 'acceptance' is the final stage in dealing with a terminal illness.

There will, unfortunately, be some gloating in certain corners.

I'm in that camp. Seaso for three years quite recently, but have moved a bit further away so getting to games has become a bit awkward. If we were competing on the pitch, that probably wouldn't be an issue but it's becoming ever more difficult to give a ****. And following a rotten team isn't new to me - I've supported Southend United FC since 1985.

gingerjon has it about right with the "it's hard to cheer on a corpse" comment.

#55 brooza

brooza
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

Watching the highlights last night, the players just didn't seem to care, not chasing after the line has been broken etc

I'm really losing patience with them now

Edited by brooza, 18 February 2013 - 11:50 AM.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#56 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

It's all over bar the shouting for the London Broncos, I'm afraid. If anybody wants to watch SL rugby league in London then they'd better make the most of the remaining 11 home games. And when the club goes kaput the sport won't have another opportunity to establish itself at the top level for at least a decade to come, probably more.

Ultimately the responsibility for that lies with the game as a whole, because we weren't decisive enough to actually go for it, to make it happen despite the obstacles, to promote and defend the sport in difficult territory. No, it was far easier politically and financially to leave the club to stand or fall on its own. That's fine, priorities were made and decisions followed. But the game, as a whole, will soon see the consequences.

The thing is what do you cut to give London the extra cash?

You can't cut back on Sky grants because the smaller M62 clubs can't get by on what they have. Cutting back on development officers would be suicide for the game as well.

#57 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

It's because he's a knobjockey.

HTH.

He would be if we were in the era of automatic p & r. Teams earned their place on the pitch through tries and their crowd figures were irrelevent to anyone but the bank manager.

Now we live with licencing and Bronquins were given a licence as one of the 14 most deserving teams in Europe. I don't think it unreasonable that a journalist questions this. I think even Broncos fans find it hard to believe.

#58 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,022 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

He would be if we were in the era of automatic p & r. Teams earned their place on the pitch through tries and their crowd figures were irrelevent to anyone but the bank manager.

Now we live with licencing and Bronquins were given a licence as one of the 14 most deserving teams in Europe. I don't think it unreasonable that a journalist questions this. I think even Broncos fans find it hard to believe.

If it were one example of Chris Irvine tweeting a worthwhile comparison then I'd have no problem. If it were a set as part of a sequence where some are positive, some are negative - then, again, fine.

But it's not. It's yet another RL journalist putting up a "Oh look, rugby league's a bit rubbish isn't it ..." type tweet of the, "Look! Flashy lights at Ally Pally ... makes you realise how dull Friday Night SL is on Sky ..." type that they all seem to have on speedtype.
- Severus, July 2012

#59 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,022 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

The thing is what do you cut to give London the extra cash?

You can't cut back on Sky grants because the smaller M62 clubs can't get by on what they have. Cutting back on development officers would be suicide for the game as well.

But that's the point. A decision was made - and it may have been the right one - for London to stand or fall as per any other club. When they fall - and it is now clearly a matter of 'when' - then that will be in part because of that.
- Severus, July 2012

#60 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

I didn't read his tweet but arguably the fact that Fev had a bigger crowd is good news for them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users