Photo
- - - - -

17/02/13 - London Broncos v Wakefield Trinity Wildcats - KO 3pm

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. London Broncos (11 votes [64.71%])

Percentage of vote: 64.71%

2. Wakefield Trinity Wildcats (6 votes [35.29%])

Percentage of vote: 35.29%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,337 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

If it were one example of Chris Irvine tweeting a worthwhile comparison then I'd have no problem. If it were a set as part of a sequence where some are positive, some are negative - then, again, fine.

But it's not. It's yet another RL journalist putting up a "Oh look, rugby league's a bit rubbish isn't it ..." type tweet of the, "Look! Flashy lights at Ally Pally ... makes you realise how dull Friday Night SL is on Sky ..." type that they all seem to have on speedtype.

Absolutely correct.

#62 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

But that's the point. A decision was made - and it may have been the right one - for London to stand or fall as per any other club. When they fall - and it is now clearly a matter of 'when' - then that will be in part because of that.

Unavoidable though.

People have to face the fact that the RFL don't have the cash.

#63 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,378 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

I didn't read his tweet but arguably the fact that Fev had a bigger crowd is good news for them.

"Sorry can't avoid this comparison. Today's crowd at@LondonBroncosRL 1,887 - @InfoFevRovers crowd 2,389 ...#rugbyleague"
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#64 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,378 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

Unavoidable though.

People have to face the fact that the RFL don't have the cash.

And that is why, for the most part, I don't think anybody in London has been saying that the RFL should own or run the Broncos. But the club is mainly the victim of woeful mismanagement that has been allowed to continue for far longer than it should have - now, that may be true of other clubs too but with London having no assets, limited supporter base and no investors riding to the rescue there's a case that the 'hands off' approach is what will ulitmately kill the club.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#65 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

"Sorry can't avoid this comparison. Today's crowd at@LondonBroncosRL 1,887 - @InfoFevRovers crowd 2,389 ...#rugbyleague"

I think that's fair comment myself.

#66 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

And that is why, for the most part, I don't think anybody in London has been saying that the RFL should own or run the Broncos.

No, I've yet to hear from them asking for preferable treatment of any kind.

#67 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,337 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

I didn't read his tweet but arguably the fact that Fev had a bigger crowd is good news for them.

It is good news for Fev. But I fail to see what good it will do. I can only recall CI doing 2 upbeat sports tweets: about darts and speedway. An 8000 crowd at darts is more worthy of mention than a 20k one at a RL game it seems.

All in all, I think he should either get another job or cover another sport as he seems pretty fed up of RL.

#68 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

It's the job of a journalist to tell it as they see it rather than deliberately make upbeat stories "to do good".

#69 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,337 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

It's the job of a journalist to tell it as they see it rather than deliberately make upbeat stories "to do good".

So the only RL stories he comes across are all bad news are they? Isn't there meant to be an element of balance involved?

#70 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

So the only RL stories he comes across are all bad news are they? Isn't there meant to be an element of balance involved?

Obviously rugby league is not all doom and gloom and decent coverage should reflect that. Difficult to comment on his tweets as I don't do twitter.

My main issue with RL journalism is that to me it seems a very cosy world where everybody knows everybody else and most journalists do no more than reprint press releases and add their best personal wishes to all involved.

#71 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,337 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

Obviously rugby league is not all doom and gloom and decent coverage should reflect that. Difficult to comment on his tweets as I don't do twitter.

My main issue with RL journalism is that to me it seems a very cosy world where everybody knows everybody else and most journalists do no more than reprint press releases and add their best personal wishes to all involved.

It is very cosy affair and they close rank pretty fast too.

#72 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,647 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

The Broncos owner wants to get straight on the blower to Saracens and see about a groundshare at Barnet.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#73 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

The Broncos owner wants to get straight on the blower to Saracens and see about a groundshare at Barnet.

Why? Its in the middle of nowhere and has RU as the main tenant and who have done loads of marketing - the same as the Stoop. A crazy idea

#74 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

regardless of anything can somebody please tell me how they can afford to carry on with that crowd?

Assuming everybody spent £20 on a ticket that is is gate receipts of £37k before any costs!
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#75 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

Too close to Skolars and Hemel. Not good for them.

#76 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

The thing is what do you cut to give London the extra cash?

You can't cut back on Sky grants because the smaller M62 clubs can't get by on what they have. Cutting back on development officers would be suicide for the game as well.

That's fine, I understand that.

I haven't called for the RFL to buy the club or anything like that but I do think they could, and should, have been an awful lot more involved over the past decade at least. Giving guidance and advice on coaching appointments, marketing, media, fan relations, that sort of thing wouldn't have cost any money but would have helped enormously. Now, I may be wrong and they have offered this help and been turned down, but I've certainly not heard anything of it.

Even just a week or two ago I thought there might still be a chance for this club, if the right people were owning / running it. Now, I'm increasingly coming to the conclusion that it's too late. The club is staggering into A&E with a huge number of self-inflicted knife wounds and yet the medical staff are simply whispering to one another and checking their watches.

The wonderful sport of Rugby League will not see another top flight club in this city for an awfully long time. What the consequences of that are, for the game as a whole, we'll just have to wait and see.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#77 Magic XIII

Magic XIII
  • Coach
  • 226 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

Used for athletics in the summer and only limited number of rugby games allowed from what I understand - non starter. Doesn't matter where they play, if they continue to produce the sort of dross they did yesterday, no one will want to see it, my back garden would be big enough.

#78 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

13 years ago when the London Broncos started to play at the stoop RL was starting to become fashionable/trendy and the club were starting to attract young families to watch them.

Now sadly in London Harlequins RU and Saracens have cornered this market in north and west London taking someone who has never been before to watch the Broncos is embarrassing with the lack of atmosphere apart from a few hundred away fans at each match singing silly songs which only (To your average middle class londoner) stereotypes the game as one watched by the working class up north (This is not a dig but a sad fact)

SL needs to re-invent itself in London (And in many cases elsewhere) otherwise all the hard work with development expansion over the last few years will be down the toilet.

CM

totally agree with this
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#79 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,157 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

totally agree with this

Feels horrible doesn't it!

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#80 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

Feels horrible doesn't it!

While his posts can often come across as nonsense I do actually believe, in the main, he talks a lot of sense

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users