Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

17/02/13 - London Broncos v Wakefield Trinity Wildcats - KO 3pm

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. London Broncos (11 votes [64.71%])

Percentage of vote: 64.71%

2. Wakefield Trinity Wildcats (6 votes [35.29%])

Percentage of vote: 35.29%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,970 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#82 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

There's no dressing it up its a terrible crowd and a bad result. But we are only 3 games into the season, lets have a bit of perspective.

Not entirely sure why Chris Irvine had to tweet that Fev got a bigger crowd? Will this improve things somehow?

It's something to bear in mind when they are handing out the next batch of SL licences, especially if the Broncos don't sort out their ground situation as well.

#83 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

Why? Its in the middle of nowhere and has RU as the main tenant and who have done loads of marketing - the same as the Stoop. A crazy idea

You do know that this was their home ground once before.

#84 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,769 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

You do know that this was their home ground once before.

Yes mate. Went there in 1993 to watch them beat Leigh heavily. It was a #### ground/place then and difficult to get to.

London need to play somewhere where there is no major RU or football. There are plenty of heavily populated places where this is the case

#85 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,769 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

13 years ago when the London Broncos started to play at the stoop RL was starting to become fashionable/trendy and the club were starting to attract young families to watch them.

Now sadly in London Harlequins RU and Saracens have cornered this market in north and west London taking someone who has never been before to watch the Broncos is embarrassing with the lack of atmosphere apart from a few hundred away fans at each match singing silly songs which only (To your average middle class londoner) stereotypes the game as one watched by the working class up north (This is not a dig but a sad fact)

SL needs to re-invent itself in London (And in many cases elsewhere) otherwise all the hard work with development expansion over the last few years will be down the toilet.

CM

Sorry CM but I disagree with you on this. London were already trendy before they moved to the Stoop. In fact crowds were bigger at Charlton the year before tenancy 1 at the Stoop, despite only coming 4th as opposed to 2nd at the Stoop. If they had stayed at Charlton in 1996/97 the crowds would have been even bigger. The move to the Stoop was a huge mistake IMO, and the people that made that choice not only made a massive cockup, but they also allowed Harlequins to have a significant extra financial stream to get them where they are today. Quins creamed money off the Broncos and charged top whack rent despite have an awful stadium at the time.However they were just being astute. This was in the early days of SL when clubs burned the first wave of sky money without any long term vision

#86 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:41 PM

London need to play somewhere where there is no major RU or football.

i think london maybe out of the question then!!

#87 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,769 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:23 PM

i think london maybe out of the question then!!

Guess youve never been to London then

Here's a few gooduns:

Hackney/Stratford
Streatham/Mitcham/Tooting
Rotherhithe
Acton
Camden
Lambeth and Elephant & Castle
Brixton
Walthamstow

#88 Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein
  • Coach
  • 183 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:13 AM

Guess youve never been to London then

Here's a few gooduns:

Hackney/Stratford
Streatham/Mitcham/Tooting
Rotherhithe
Acton
Camden
Lambeth and Elephant & Castle
Brixton
Walthamstow

And how many suitable stadiums are there in those areas.

Might as well add Woodford, Upminster, Bromley and Hounslow while you're on your flight of fantasy

#89 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:00 AM

Im not one who doesnt want a London club indeed Id like to see them succeed, unfortunturnedly I fear their demise is reaching a critical mass that cant be turned around.

#90 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,611 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:14 AM

While his posts can often come across as nonsense I do actually believe, in the main, he talks a lot of sense

OK then, why does a London RL team have to appeal to the middle classes? Why can't they appeal to, say, West Ham fans? (genuine question here)
Isn't RL wasting its time trying to appeal to the people who might spend the amounts required to go to Twickenham? Aren't we better off trying to capture working class Londoners? (who in my experience, are sound as a pound)

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#91 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,852 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:27 AM

OK then, why does a London RL team have to appeal to the middle classes? Why can't they appeal to, say, West Ham fans? (genuine question here)
Isn't RL wasting its time trying to appeal to the people who might spend the amounts required to go to Twickenham? Aren't we better off trying to capture working class Londoners? (who in my experience, are sound as a pound)

There's no reason why it shouldn't appeal to everyone. But the thing is, and Lobby misses this time and again, is that soccer is the endemic working class sport in London and the south east. You might want to have a look at (say) the regional set-up of the leagues beneath Conference Premier - Gloucester are in Conference North for example. There are many leagues, many teams - including in each one of those areas that Lobby says is virgin territory. London has a dozen professional soccer teams and they are probably, spectator-wise, collectively more watched now than at any point in their history.

The gap RL could try to find - and this is only an idea - is the same one that the relatively few successful 'new' sports have found in towns when they can take the family, foam-finger market. There are a handful of settled basketball and ice hockey teams which could point to this working - and, many, many more that have utterly failed.

The 'last chance' for London was in 2005. Realistically when they utterly botched the translation to being Quins that was it. Without significant new investment and new direction (not necessarily a move, but a proper spirit and focus within the club) we are now looking at what happens when you switch the life support off.

And that should be a cause of great sadness in rugby league. There are fans down here desperate for a team to support. Just not this cracked mirror version of what a Super League club should look like.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#92 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

Just to add to the general air of disbelief around the Broncos' behaviour it's now emerged that the club turned down the opportunity to play Melbourne Storm at the weekend because they didn't want to contribute to the costs of their visit to the UK. Because, you know, a game against the NRL champions, in front of 6-8,000 people, with all the attendant media and corporate opportunities that would entail, and the opportunity to make it a carnival of 'expansion' Rugby League - who'd want any of that?
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#93 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

And how many suitable stadiums are there in those areas.

Might as well add Woodford, Upminster, Bromley and Hounslow while you're on your flight of fantasy

You forgot Romford and Gidea Park, with all that seating capacity. :P . ;) :D

Edited by Spicer, 19 February 2013 - 11:23 AM.

#94 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

Just to add to the general air of disbelief around the Broncos' behaviour it's now emerged that the club turned down the opportunity to play Melbourne Storm at the weekend because they didn't want to contribute to the costs of their visit to the UK. Because, you know, a game against the NRL champions, in front of 6-8,000 people, with all the attendant media and corporate opportunities that would entail, and the opportunity to make it a carnival of 'expansion' Rugby League - who'd want any of that?

It would have been great and this does appear to be a little short sighted, but in fairness I don't remember the last game against Melbourne either (i) bringing in a huge crowd or (ii) having much of an effect on subsequent attendances.

Of course, the other side of that coin is that in their current position, the club ought to be trying something. I certainly would have gone had they been playing Melbourne last weekend, albeit principally to see the opposition players.

Edited by Kenny Bania, 19 February 2013 - 01:18 PM.

#95 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,850 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

Im not one who doesnt want a London club indeed Id like to see them succeed, unfortunturnedly I fear their demise is reaching a critical mass that cant be turned around.

Can't be turned around?

RL has a long history of clubs going into demise and turning around.

The only way they have operated is as they operate now. Not quite rich enough man at the top treading water.

The question is why is this happening???

The only logical answer to date is the RFL want the player pathway, Hughes want's his plaything.

#96 brooza

brooza
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

It would have been great and this does appear to be a little short sighted, but in fairness I don't remember the last game against Melbourne either (a) bringing in a huge crowd or ( B) having much of an effect on subsequent attendances.

I was at that game and don't recall it being particularly busy

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, KĂžbenhavn Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#97 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 637 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

The Broncos owner wants to get straight on the blower to Saracens and see about a groundshare at Barnet.

They cannot do that ground given over to the athletics in the summer. It would also need a lot of promises from Quins that they will take an interest in the local community something they do not have a great track record with.

#98 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

Is that true or bar room gossip? I heard a very different story about training sessions with Melbourne.

Edited by Manx RL, 19 February 2013 - 01:19 PM.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#99 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

I was at that game and don't recall it being particularly busy

it was quiet enough that I kept on bumping in to the same completely lashed-up Aussie throughout the afternoon. Which was a real pleasure.

I seem to remember he eventually got chucked out for dropping his trousers (and pants).

#100 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,142 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

From what i've heard its likely to be a switch to Orient, all being good with the Hearn's, which means its not definite at all. Gillingham was the prefered choice originally by the club, but fan reaction made them change their mind, which is ironic considering there aren't that many Bronco's fans who attend the games on the reg.

Orients ground is the only real possibility in east London. Sharing with West ham at the Olympic stadium is a no goer, West Ham wont want anyone there and the Bronco's can't afford it. All other stadia in the vicinity wont have good enough facilities or required capacity.

Best thing the Bronco's could do would be to move in with the Skolars and pool their resources, though i'm sure there are a few Skolars fans who would be against that.

The big thing east London has going for it, though thats not to say other areas in London don't, is its location to a station like stratford, which has great transport links to North, south and West London, as well as Essex and east Anglia.

Since Westfield opened it also boasts a huge amount of potential fans visiting the area on a daily and weekly basis. And due to the Olympics it also has a great deal of communications facilities left empty, which are now being occupied by a number of national and international media and communications companies. Ideal for a sporting club looking to engage with new and vibrant companies.

But a move to east London will also mean the Bronco's have to work harder than ever as they'll have to attract a lot of new fans from the surrounding area's. something they've failed to do in pretty much all area's since leaving Charlton, which was a time when they had Richard Branson backing them.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users