Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Law Cup and the season Ahead

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 boro hornet

boro hornet
  • Coach
  • 772 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

Looking forward to our second pre season run out against our friends from over the hill Oldham.In what are two completely different teams to last season with new players ,new coaches and new partnerships for both clubs it should be an interesting and entertaining game.

Both teams will be wanting to carry on from their first run outs,and go into the new season on a high,and with the winner of the N R Cup group playing as a curtain raiser to the main match both teams will be aiming for top spot in the group.

Within the league itself,its not going to be easy with Hornets, Oldham and North Wales looking favourites to fight it out for the promotion places,with Skolars not being to far away, and who will be difficult to beat at home, as we have found to our cost in the last few years.Gateshead have recruited and have a partnership with Hull K R, and with South Wales and the new teams being unknown quantities it is going to be a really interesting and exciting season ahead with a lot of twists and turns along the way.

The club is going to need all the support we can get through the gates, to back the team every step of the way and starting on Sunday lets get up to Spotland and cheer them on and make some noise as im sure the Oldham fans will.

We also have the U20s side this year and if you can, please get to the matches,these lads will hopefully be the future of the club and with a lot of local lads in the team need our support to.

ONWARD HORNETS ONWARD
Success does not consists in never making blunders,but in never making the same one the second time.

#2 StarfireHypervixen

StarfireHypervixen
  • Coach
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

Good to see a positive post, best of luck to Hornets in the coming seasn.
Living life in such a way, that when my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan says "Oh *@$^! She's awake!"

#3 Heywood Tiger

Heywood Tiger
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

Any chance of getting these up somewhere? Ideally the club website?
Championships U20 Sat 2nd Mar 2013 Halifax RLFC U20s V Rochdale Hornets U20s KO:14:30 Sat 9th Mar 2013 Rochdale Hornets U20s V Oldham RLFC U20s KO:14:30 Sat 23rd Mar 2013 Salford City Reds U20s V Rochdale Hornets U20s KO:14:30 Sat 30th Mar 2013 Oldham RLFC U20s V Rochdale Hornets U20s KO:14:30 Sat 27th Apr 2013 Rochdale Hornets U20s V South Wales Scorpions U20s KO:14:30 Sat 4th May 2013 Keighley Cougars U20s V Rochdale Hornets U20s KO:14:30 Sat 18th May 2013 Rochdale Hornets U20s V Featherstone Rovers U20s KO:14:30 Sun 2nd Jun 2013 Rochdale Hornets U20s V Hemel Stags U20s KO:12:30 Sat 8th Jun 2013 Rochdale Hornets U20s V Oldham RLFC U20s KO:14:30 Sat 22nd Jun 2013 Rochdale Hornets U20s V York City Knights U20s KO:14:30 Sun 7th Jul 2013 Hemel Stags U20s V Rochdale Hornets U20s KO:12:30 Sat 13th Jul 2013 Leigh Centurions U20s V Rochdale Hornets U20s KO:14:30 Sat 3rd Aug 2013 Rochdale Hornets U20s V York City Knights U20s KO:14:30 Sat 10th Aug 2013 York City Knights U20s V Rochdale Hornets U20s KO:14:30

#4 boro hornet

boro hornet
  • Coach
  • 772 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

There has been a start to put the U20s fixtures on the website,you can find them under the fixture button and then put in which competition you are looking for.
Success does not consists in never making blunders,but in never making the same one the second time.

#5 boro hornet

boro hornet
  • Coach
  • 772 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

All fixtures now on the Hornets website.

#6 allroughyed

allroughyed
  • Coach
  • 944 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

I understand Hornets are playing Ade Gardener and two other Saints first teamers against us Sunday .

GIVE US A TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#7 Heywood Tiger

Heywood Tiger
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

Good stuff, 20's fixtures there for everyone to see cant wait to get down to see them. All home fixtures are at Mayfields as well arent they.

Didnt Ade Gardner play for the first team on sky the other day, that would be some fall from grace, cant see it myself.

Id like to see the monsterous guy they signed from the Championship having a run, Walmersley?

Plus Wheeler is a bit of a fringe player at the minute i think hes potentially one of the best players in the country. There are 32 players in the Saints 1st squad so we could have 6 of them playing and I wouldnt know

#8 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

Ade Gardner has turned out in the A teams before, and bust a gut for his side, he has still got pace and an eye for the try line...seems to have a great attitude to me! ( no dollies out of pram, unlike certain Premiership footballers).

#9 ArthurDaley

ArthurDaley
  • Coach
  • 493 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

The Obbie has Ade Gardner, and Gary Wheeler to play on Sunday.
Injuries rule out Wayne English, Paul Crook and Alex Trumper.
A large VAT Dave please.

Allso known as Teodozjusz Matuschanskavasky

#10 no1 saints fan

no1 saints fan
  • Players
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

Taken from the Saints website:

"SAINTS will have four players featuring for Rochdale in Sunday's annual Law Cup Fixture against Oldham. Gary Wheeler, Jordan Hand, Dom Speakman and Anthony Walker have all been ‘dual registered' for the match."

According to your twitter they will replace English, trumper, brown,mcclurg and crook.

Wheeler is a utility player (stand off or centre most likely).
Hand is a prop.
Speakman is a hooker. Would of played in our U19's yesterday if he wasn't on dual reg this weeked.
Walker is a prop. Played for Whitehaven last week and was impressive. He was 18th man for 1st team last night.

No mention of Gardner.

#11 no1 saints fan

no1 saints fan
  • Players
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

Didnt Ade Gardner play for the first team on sky the other day, that would be some fall from grace, cant see it myself.

Id like to see the monsterous guy they signed from the Championship having a run, Walmersley?

Gardner hasn't played first team this year. Played for Whitehaven last week. No mention of him playing for you this weekend.

Also, I know that both of our clubs are in a partnership this year, but Walmsley cannot go on dual reg with Rochdale. He has a dual reg deal with Batley. So when not in Saints first team, he will play for them.

#12 Heywood Tiger

Heywood Tiger
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

Sure I saw Gardner playing, but I stand corrected. Looking forward to seeing Wheeler playing as I think he could easily be in the Saints first 17

#13 PooingDog

PooingDog
  • Coach
  • 976 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

Roll on three bells, can't wait.
Memento mori

Who cares -Wins!!!

Carpe Cerevisi

AKA. Winston Smith

Give 'em a fair trial..........and then hang 'em"

#14 rugbyman1

rugbyman1
  • Coach
  • 207 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

Enjoyed the day, game could have gone either way.Thought Rochdale best spells were just before half time and towards the end.Good luck for the season lets hope we're both in the championship next season. :)
One for all and all for the one

#15 fillipo del toro

fillipo del toro
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:51 AM

Yeah a decent but scrappy battle, i thought Dave Hull, Gaz Langley and Baines where Hornets stand outs. Oldham seemed to hold on to the ball better and ask a few more questions when they had the ball in hand. I suppose thats how it goes, if Hornets had of looked after the ball better when in possesion we could of had at least 2 maybe 3 more tries. Oldham have played as many games as us pre season but seemed a liitle more fluid in there play, at times like in attack our defence was good then others times we just switched off.
We didnt come out for the second half and a direct enthusiastic Oldham made us pay. We only seemed to come to life in the last 5 minutes and if Roper had of pinned his ears back instead of stepping he would of been in, i think that sums Hornets day up really. Im not blaming Roper as i said it just puts our day in a nutshell.

Im not overly concerned as you could see flashes of quality, its about putting the training practice onto the pitch and that will come.
Whilst loosing to any Oldham side is hard to take, i think sat here in October after taking 6 points off them in the league will compensate for any Law Cup defeat.
As i mentioned i enjoyed watching Langers (Langley) play full back bursting through gaps. I thought Dave Hull looked strong at centre when he came on and Baines looks to have added a little size this pre season and was solid both in defence and attack.
Dallimore looked sound for Oldham, although i feel our half backs could of pressured him a little more. But Oldham fullback (Richard Lepori) shone for me, he loved a gap and shifted when given the opportuinity.
Im sure both sides will be up there at the end of the season, closely followed by North Wales.

Got to mention th ref - a steady game by the man in the middle, messy ruck and a few forward passes missed by both sides and the usual strange (only the ref saw) decision.

Bring on Gateshead and hopefully a winning start.
Phil Bull.

Hopefully my post are viewed as positive, and I cannot be held responsible for causing any offence to anyone associated with this message board

#16 Lakeside

Lakeside
  • Players
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

Although the cup has gone back over the hill Hornets won't be too disappointed. English and Crook would have seen us win comfotably with thier experience.

Sat behind the dug out Hornets seem to be over loaded with backroom staff, but where was Matt Calland and Malcom the kit man?

I hope we are not in the midst of a total St Helens take over

#17 ornit4ever

ornit4ever
  • Coach
  • 431 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

Thoroughly enjoyed the whole game, played in a good spirit, with both sides playing some expansive rugby league and a good referee. Both sides can take heart from this game and its already obvious that if both teams remain injury free they will be there or there abouts come the end of the season.

One of the greatest sights of the day was to see Steve Prescott on the touchline, how does this man have so much enthusiasm with all his health problems, he is truly an amazing person.

Matt Calland, by the way, was sat in the main stand with Ian Talbot.
RUGBY LEAGUE WITHOUT ROCHDALE HORNETS IS LIKE AN UNSHARPENED PENCIL, THERES NO POINT?

#18 fillipo del toro

fillipo del toro
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

Yes he was, I also spied Nathan Brown & Jon Wilkin at the game
Phil Bull.

Hopefully my post are viewed as positive, and I cannot be held responsible for causing any offence to anyone associated with this message board

#19 Lakeside

Lakeside
  • Players
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

Great that Matt is in the first team set up then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users