Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Gambling

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#41 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

If you start with a fiver and keep re-investing your winnings, slowly increasing your stake you can soon build up a healthy pot. If you can get just six successive winners (at 10/11) and have the nerve to re-invest everything each time your £5 will become £241.84. If you can keep your nerve and keep re-investing everything up to 12 times then your fiver would become £11680 or thereabouts. Mind you on the last three bets you are placing a four figure sum :).

I used to start with £20 in my kitty and bet 25% of the kitty (a fiver at the start of the season). Then each week win or lose I would take a quarter of the kitty and invest it. Even doing it that way the kitty grows a lot by the end of the season and the most you can lose is your original £20. By just putting on 25% you are mitigating against getting a run of losers. I use to reckon I had a "hit" rate of 7 or 8 winners from every ten selections. I still do in fact but no longer can I bet. However last weekend I picked out three "naps" and they all came in. The current handicappers don't seem to have found their feet yet.
As I said in my earlier post though choose your bets carefully and don't bet just for the sake of it. Make sure (or pretty sure) the handicapper has (in your opinion) screwed up. Trust me he does this at least once a weekend (sometimes he does it a lot).

A professional gambler also once told me never to bet when it is raining as this screws up the form. Experience has taught me he was correct :).

I might have to take this piece of advice! I've already learnt the one about not betting on your own side.

I'm tempted to use my winnings for more regular handicap betting, as long as you pick and choose I think it's an area where the fan can know probably as much as the bookie does. Take the Saints -8 from last week, that was purely based on the historical Saints rather than their form of the first 2 games.

#42 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

£10 on Bradford City to win at 6/1, and £10 on Bradford City to win 2-0 at 40/1 with William Hill.

I'm a bit narked that online the odds (which I checked first) are 8/1 and 50/1. But nevermind, I won't be signing up. Although sod's law says lil bro probably has an account with them...

Still, first bet for years.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#43 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,000 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

£10 on Bradford City to win at 6/1, and £10 on Bradford City to win 2-0 at 40/1 with William Hill.

I'm a bit narked that online the odds (which I checked first) are 8/1 and 50/1. But nevermind, I won't be signing up. Although sod's law says lil bro probably has an account with them...

Still, first bet for years.

I got 13/2, which is practically the same.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#44 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

I might have to take this piece of advice! I've already learnt the one about not betting on your own side.

I'm tempted to use my winnings for more regular handicap betting, as long as you pick and choose I think it's an area where the fan can know probably as much as the bookie does. Take the Saints -8 from last week, that was purely based on the historical Saints rather than their form of the first 2 games.

I quite stupidly left this until today, and the handicap has gone up to +6 for Leeds, which is not nearly as appealing. Still gonna go for Melbourne but I think I'll stick to the tenner.

#45 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

I've asked lil bro to stick a tenner on 2-0 on his betfair account at 75-1... he better pay up!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#46 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

I've asked lil bro to stick a tenner on 2-0 on his betfair account at 75-1... he better pay up!

I have bet on Football games before in this way but to be honest I don't think I've ever won one so it doesn't really appeal to me!

This week I've gone for Melbourne -6, Wire -2 and Wigan -28 in separate bets. Whilst pre-season, Melbourne have been here for a good while and have played Leeds twice within the past 5 years winning the last one. They know what to expect and have Slater, Cronk and Smith all playing. I think it'll be near the handicap but still think they'll win by maybe 8 or so. It of course depends on which Leeds turn up.

Wire is such a small handicap it is basically about whether they will win or not and I think they will at Hull. The Wigan one looks like the riskiest but -28 is the same as 34-6, 40-12 or 46-18. I suspect Wigan will manage this and probably hit 50, unless they are complacent a la Widnes away last year!

#47 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,892 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

Used this logic yesterday re. Sam Tomkins being unavailable for Wigan.

Had a fiver on Hudds to win by 11-15 and a fiver on them to win by 16-20, @ odds of 12/1 and 16/1 respectively.

I owe Ferres a beer or two. :D

To balance this out, had a tenner on Melbourne to win by 13 or more last night @ 7/2.

Thaler owes me a beer or two. :angry:

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#48 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

To balance this out, had a tenner on Melbourne to win by 13 or more last night @ 7/2.

Thaler owes me a beer or two. :angry:

Not just you, I had Melbourne on the handicap at -6. Rather frustratingly as I even pointed out earlier, it was -2 earlier in the week and I delayed placing the bet.

After seeing Wire's team sheet, I'm concerned for my other bets now!

#49 metallithrax

metallithrax
  • Players
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

I play the Lottery at work, and occasionally buy a ticket myself. Been to Vegas 3 times and probably spent a total of $20-$30 on the slots. I have placed exactly 1 bet on the Grand National, and never placed any other bet.

#50 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

Someone owes me £30! <_<

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#51 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

£10 win on lottery yesterday, first this year.
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#52 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,000 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:21 PM

Anyone having a bet during Cheltenham?

Any tips?

#53 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

Any tips?

1) Yes
2) no
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#54 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,800 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

Any tips?

Ask the guy driving the big flash car.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#55 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,000 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

Ask the guy driving the big flash car.

Who me? B)

#56 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:06 PM

Who me? B)

Flash, not flashing car.

Nee naw nee naw.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#57 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,910 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

Any tips?

Today should be a favourites day - Simonsig and Quevega should be absolute certs, especially Quevega who you could just about risk your mortgage on, but both will be fairly short odds, and Hurricane Fly will take all the beating in the Champion Hurdle.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#58 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:27 AM

I agree with Simonsig, also I have ZARKANDAR in the 3.20

#59 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,000 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

Been hearing Simonsig is a good bet today in the Arkle @2.05. Assuming it isn't snowed off that is..

#60 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,000 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

Today should be a favourites day - Simonsig and Quevega should be absolute certs, especially Quevega who you could just about risk your mortgage on, but both will be fairly short odds, and Hurricane Fly will take all the beating in the Champion Hurdle.

Is that you Stevo? ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users