Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Double delight as Halifax hosts Northern Rail finals day

RFL media release

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#21 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

How about freshening up the super league grand final, lets says headingley. Dont think rugby league will change any of the super league finals, just mess with the championship.

The Clubs voted for it due to the costs involved with taking it to a football or SL ground.

#22 Roysrolls

Roysrolls
  • Players
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

The Clubs voted for it due to the costs involved with taking it to a football or SL ground.

I stand corrected.

#23 Cardiff Cymru

Cardiff Cymru
  • Coach
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

Never mind all that. The Northern Rail Bowl has given a meaning to the Northern Rail Cup for Championship 1 sides. I'm hoping for a South Wales Scorpions v North Wales Crusaders final.
About time I updated this.

Join Rebtel for cheap international calls

#24 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

Blackpool is an absolute hole of a place. Glad all the clubs have selected to have the games at Halifax. Dare say its a reward as well for the work the council and the club have put in to promoting the RLWC.

#25 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

Right then. I had been tasked with organising a mate's stag do centred around the NRC Final. When it was slated for Blackpool, the weekend practically wrote itself.

I don't want to sound dismissive of Halifax and all that is has to offer but, erm, what does it have to offer? The groom is still up for the rugby, especially as there are now going to be two games so we're definitely off to Yorkshire for the weekend...

Halifax is not exactly short of pubs and does have a reputation for its nightlife! It has a number of Pubs that serve Real Ale if you are into that. It also has a number of nightclubs that stay open til early sunday morning. Depends what type of night you want. If its a classy night out then forget Halifax. If its a wild night then Halifax is probably one of the best around to spend the night in.

#26 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

Wait until the Grand Final stadium is announced, i for one am looking forward to seeing the debate on here

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#27 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

Blackpool is an absolute hole of a place. Glad all the clubs have selected to have the games at Halifax. Dare say its a reward as well for the work the council and the club have put in to promoting the RLWC.

Hope they start doing work on the North Stand soon. And hopefully it doesnt rain the week before as the pitch has very poor drainage. And the toilets in the Skircoat Stand are poor-ask Fev fans!!

Edited by Lounge Room Lizard, 13 February 2013 - 06:33 PM.

#28 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,379 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

I understand why Blackpool's been dropped, money going out of the game, etc.

Fax have a servicable ground.

But this is an appalling decision.

Apart from the question of final neutrality perhaps being compromised by the possibility of Fax playing a final at home (good luck to 'em but it would be rubbish) this is such an uninspiring choice.

It's not new/different/special. It's just a game at a Championship league ground which fans can visit anyway for league games. There will be no sense of ocassion at all.

A SL venue would've been my choice.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#29 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

Daft idea, it's not neutral and with respect to Halifax, it's not special either. Most of us will visit at least once this year anyway.

By all means keep money in the game, this is to be applauded, but surely there's a suitable SL ground we could use, Salford, Widnes, Hull KR, Odsal, Headingley etc.

No doubt the LSV will shortly be announced as the grand final stadium. LSV is by far the best RL stadium in the competition, but again it's not neutral or special.

#30 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

Bayern Munich played the Champions League final on their home ground last year. The competition struggles on.

Seems like decent team talk material for the other sides as well- THIS SHOWER THINK THEY'RE GOING TO HAVE A NICE DAY ON THEIR HOME PITCH IN JULY. THEY THINK THEY JUST HAVE TO SHOW UP blah blah

Still seems like a retreat to The Heartlands which isn't a good thing. That said, I might give it a look this year. The Shay being pretty rubbish on two sides is an issue too.

Edited by ArmchairRhino, 13 February 2013 - 07:06 PM.

There's no dignity in plastic seats

#31 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,716 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

On the plus side, I reckon The Shay is a decent stadium. Needs a bit of work but not bad really.
Not sure about the glamour though.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#32 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

like the idea of the bowl final....don't mind halfax being the venue either....as long as halfiax are'nt in the final..

personally id have opted for warrington or headingley...

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#33 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

A SL venue would've been my choice.

Cas?

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#34 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

Halifax is not exactly short of pubs and does have a reputation for its nightlife! It has a number of Pubs that serve Real Ale if you are into that. It also has a number of nightclubs that stay open til early sunday morning. Depends what type of night you want. If its a classy night out then forget Halifax. If its a wild night then Halifax is probably one of the best around to spend the night in.

Classy is definitely not on the agenda :)

#35 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

I can't help but feel whenever I go to or through Halifax it always seems a bit of a miserable place, so in a way it is perfect for the majority of fans.

(and yes, I know where I'm from, doesn't mean I like it either)

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#36 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

Cas?

No, he said an SL venue, not 1897

#37 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,991 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

Daft idea, it's not neutral and with respect to Halifax, it's not special either. Most of us will visit at least once this year anyway.

By all means keep money in the game, this is to be applauded, but surely there's a suitable SL ground we could use, Salford, Widnes, Hull KR, Odsal, Headingley etc.

No doubt the LSV will shortly be announced as the grand final stadium. LSV is by far the best RL stadium in the competition, but again it's not neutral or special.

Not sure if the RFL can win here. If they'd announced a SL ground this site would be full of posts telling us they are going to boycott the final because they don't want the money going to a SL club. Or the RFL are in SLs pocket and that's all they care about.

#38 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:50 PM

Not to mention the difference in ticket prices a la the WCC.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#39 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

Not sure if the RFL can win here. If they'd announced a SL ground this site would be full of posts telling us they are going to boycott the final because they don't want the money going to a SL club. Or the RFL are in SLs pocket and that's all they care about.

Do you recall any of that being said about the GF which has been staged at Warrington for a number of years? Isn't that a SL ground?
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#40 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

I think its a great idea, lets move it even further way from Cumbria to an area that is already saturated with top class rugby!!

Why couldn't they have taken it to Carlisle or Gateshead to try and help promote the game there, nothing against Halifax, but another game in Yorkshire just increases the perception that the game doesn't exist outside of the M62 corridor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users