Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Double delight as Halifax hosts Northern Rail finals day

RFL media release

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#41 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

I can't help but feel whenever I go to or through Halifax it always seems a bit of a miserable place, so in a way it is perfect for the majority of fans.

(and yes, I know where I'm from, doesn't mean I like it either)

Halifax, like Bradford has been badly letdown by the people who are supposed to make it a better brighter place- i.e the Councillors who line their own pockets often at the expense of the people. A couple of Councillors have been found doing dodgy deals and getting sent down. Halifax has many problems under the surface which sadly never have been addressed- like a decent shopping centre under cover and decent safe car parks and proper leisure facilities. The scenery in and around Halifax as well as Bradford is very nice. Maybe one day Halifax and Bradford will be made better and run by people who care and do something properly.

#42 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

My choice would have been Doncaster or Rochdale as both are outsiders to make the final and are about the right size for the final. Its a shame Blackpool is so expensive but a neutral ground makes a final a bit more special for me and many others. I can understand why the decision to move away from Blackpool and its a shame their is not a Stadium big enough at Morecambe or Scarboro which is cheaper and offers something different. But lets just enjoy the game even if we dont think the venue is that good.

#43 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

While we're at it, lets have the Challenge Cup semis at Wigan and Headingley regardless of who contests them. They're the best two supported clubs and will generate the best possible crowds.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#44 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,858 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

Not sure if the RFL can win here. If they'd announced a SL ground this site would be full of posts telling us they are going to boycott the final because they don't want the money going to a SL club. Or the RFL are in SLs pocket and that's all they care about.

whilst im happy to slate the rfl for the direction they are taking the game, and for some of the (what I consider to be) ridiculous decisions made in our game, I have to say this is not the rfl's doing. The championship clubs have voted for this. They have decided the venue for the nrc final and grand fonal - NOT yhe rfl
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#45 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,796 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

I believe the GF is also going to be at a Championship club's ground. Apparently Blackpool and Warrington are too expensive to hire.

On another point, unlikely as it may be, what happens if one of the C1 clubs makes it to the final ? Are they going to play 2 games in an afternoon ?

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#46 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

My choice would have been Doncaster or Rochdale as both are outsiders to make the final and are about the right size for the final. Its a shame Blackpool is so expensive but a neutral ground makes a final a bit more special for me and many others. I can understand why the decision to move away from Blackpool and its a shame their is not a Stadium big enough at Morecambe or Scarboro which is cheaper and offers something different. But lets just enjoy the game even if we dont think the venue is that good.

If it still existed, the McCain stadium in Scarborough would have been a good fit.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#47 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:08 PM

Can't wait to see Leeds "A" in the final ;)

against bradford A
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#48 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,921 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:16 PM

2005, Hull KR v Cas, att. 9,400 was the first at Bloomfield Road
between attendances have been:
and the last was 2012, Fax v Fev, att. 6,691

The capacity at Bloomfield Road is 17,338 (It had to be increased in 2010 along with improvements to a lot of other facilities following the Blackpool club gaining a possible promotion spot if they met the Premier League criterea for membership.

The Shay has a capacity of 14,061, increased from aprox 10,000 following the final redevelopment.

Maybe this is part of an overall strategy that has been going on for a few years of trying to create demand for games by pushing games towards being sell outs, even if that means using stadia that are more accessible but smaller. There is of course the counter argument of who the hell wants to go were they normally go for a match. However Lancashire and Yorkshire Cup Finals were played at regular stadia and managed reasonable crowds at times without it being a 'day out'.

I think where Blackpool has failed is that it doesn't seem to have attracted the neutrals looking for a rugby day/weekend out. The attendances seem to have been only a bit above what both clubs combined could expect at their best attended games.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#49 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:04 AM

If it still existed, the McCain stadium in Scarborough would have been a good fit.

it does'nt.....half that stadium is being put up at featherstone

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#50 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:39 AM

I'm expecting the CC GF to be at LSV on the back of this decision.

Its abit of a joke but then again so is the organisation of the game outside SL.

Going to Blackpool in 2009 actually felt like a final and a special occasion knowing that we won't be there very often. I've been to the Shay multiple times (very nice ground) so it won't feel like a final to me, it'll just feel like another league game.

There is very few things to look forward to as a Championship club supporter, one of them though was a day out in blackpool which has now been taken away.

#51 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,921 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:51 AM

I'm expecting the CC GF to be at LSV on the back of this decision.

Its abit of a joke but then again so is the organisation of the game outside SL.

Going to Blackpool in 2009 actually felt like a final and a special occasion knowing that we won't be there very often. I've been to the Shay multiple times (very nice ground) so it won't feel like a final to me, it'll just feel like another league game.

There is very few things to look forward to as a Championship club supporter, one of them though was a day out in blackpool which has now been taken away.

But it wasn't attracting many neutrals, so you pay a fortune to hire a ground, half fill it (sometimes far less than half) and lose money. The problem isn't the RFL's, its the fans' problem, if they had turned out in numbers and filled the ground then you could have your day out in Blackpool (which is a $h!th0le), as it is the game was generally supported by the the finalists good time gals.

It may be a strange concept, but, and its a big but, the RFL has to make money, something it has been good at for quite a while. If putting on a final in Blackpool is a cash loser the games supporters would be the first to be up in arms and challenging the RFL for losing money*.

*I don't know if it loses money or not, but I'll take a wild guess that it has, however I could be wrong and there is a different reason for the change in venue.

Edited by Padge, 14 February 2013 - 12:52 AM.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#52 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,858 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:11 AM

But it wasn't attracting many neutrals, so you pay a fortune to hire a ground, half fill it (sometimes far less than half) and lose money. The problem isn't the RFL's, its the fans' problem, if they had turned out in numbers and filled the ground then you could have your day out in Blackpool (which is a $h!th0le), as it is the game was generally supported by the the finalists good time gals.

It may be a strange concept, but, and its a big but, the RFL has to make money, something it has been good at for quite a while. If putting on a final in Blackpool is a cash loser the games supporters would be the first to be up in arms and challenging the RFL for losing money*.

*I don't know if it loses money or not, but I'll take a wild guess that it has, however I could be wrong and there is a different reason for the change in venue.

blackpool isn't a cash loser padge.
After years of the nrc being regarded as a "nowt compt", merely padding to lengthen the season in the champs, its profile was given a lift by a final beiing held in blackpool. Most fans loved it and it gave the day a sense of occasion.
However, blackpool cost 50k to put the final on. Discussions on how to keep more money in the game and get bettrr value for money were held and voted upon.
The shay was announced yesterday. The lsv will get the gf.

Cost effeveness is right but taking that option you lose some of the profile, the sense of a jolly up on a weekend away (I hate b'pool, most don't), and it devalues the competition in my opinion.

I can see why these decisions weere made....but I don't think they all ultimately in the competitions best interests.
A game at the shay will be just another game and the nrc will return to be viewed with the same ambivalence it once was.

#53 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,770 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

Perhaps Fev will no longer be favourite for a so-called promotion spot after this year, if Fax win the NRC and the home team wins the championship?

Then over to the panellists to decide who goes up - I wonder if it will be "eeny meeny miney mo...," or "ip dip dog shi*....."

What an utter joke

#54 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,858 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

Yup!

#55 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

Can't wait to see what the usual dozen will be complaining about tomorrow.No doubt something else that the Clubs have voted in favour of or more likely some rumour/gossip that one of them has heard from 'a very reliable source'.

#56 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

Play it at Featherstone then , most of the McCain stadium is there. :rolleyes:

#57 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

blackpool isn't a cash loser padge.
After years of the nrc being regarded as a "nowt compt", merely padding to lengthen the season in the champs, its profile was given a lift by a final beiing held in blackpool. Most fans loved it and it gave the day a sense of occasion.
However, blackpool cost 50k to put the final on. Discussions on how to keep more money in the game and get bettrr value for money were held and voted upon.
The shay was announced yesterday. The lsv will get the gf.

Cost effeveness is right but taking that option you lose some of the profile, the sense of a jolly up on a weekend away (I hate b'pool, most don't), and it devalues the competition in my opinion.

I can see why these decisions weere made....but I don't think they all ultimately in the competitions best interests.
A game at the shay will be just another game and the nrc will return to be viewed with the same ambivalence it once was.

On the plus side though, like the Giants ground, its in the centre of the M62 so an easy drive from both Yorks and Lancs with good motorway access and rail links.

#58 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,787 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

Posted Image

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#59 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

I can get to the Shay in about 20 minutes from mine. Dead handy. I'd never have gone to Blackpool. It's a winner!

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#60 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

it does'nt.....half that stadium is being put up at featherstone

Yeah I know. But it was in a decent location. It would have made a bit of a change and all that.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users