Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Greatest Loose Forward

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Castleford Hawk

Castleford Hawk
  • Coach
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

So far we've got Kingy at 7 and Mannson at 6. Who gets the number 13 shirt?

I reckon we'll have quite a few contenders for this position. Johnny Wolford was an absolute magician with the ball, and his grubber kicks near the line brought many a try but my vote goes to Alan Griffiths. Strong running hard tackling, never took a backward step.

Hunslet: STILL the city's only club to win all competitions in one season.

#2 Hawkeye

Hawkeye
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

Wolford for me over Terry Webb and Alan Platt.

I can only go back to 1986.
Hawkeye
Posted Image

#3 Penola

Penola
  • 600 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

Wolford for me even if he now reminds me of Fred West.

Alan Griffiths to me always looked an old man when I was a kid but was probably only in his early 30s.

Terry Webb was great but I could never work out whether he was a hooker as Graeme Jennings Jennings and him seemed to have their numbers 9 and 13 swapped around.

Were Mick Hughes / Danny Rowe loose forwards?

#4 Castleford Hawk

Castleford Hawk
  • Coach
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

Great Fred West spot.

I'd forgotten Graham Jennings, he was a class act.

Hughes and Rowe were mainly second row for us, though Mick played there for Hull KR.

#5 Castleford Hawk

Castleford Hawk
  • Coach
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

Or am I thinking Mal Graham ?

#6 Penola

Penola
  • 600 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

Mal Graham - didn't he play for Oldham after us?

Was John Ackland a loose forward?

#7 Mycoe For Knighthood

Mycoe For Knighthood
  • Coach
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

Can just about remember Terry Webb... Paul Carr worth a shout?? He was unstoppable 5 yards from the line! Hard to think of any "modern era" great 13's, Fletcher was good but a big part of that was goal kicking... ill go with terry Webb.

#8 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,463 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

Modern era I'd say Gareth Naylor could have gone on to be a great player if not for his injury

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#9 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:10 AM

Wolford by a country mile
Posted Image

#10 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,096 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:48 AM

Terry Webb,obviously.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#11 hunslets iggy pop

hunslets iggy pop
  • Coach
  • 280 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

Wolford for me even if he now reminds me of Fred West.

Alan Griffiths to me always looked an old man when I was a kid but was probably only in his early 30s.

Terry Webb was great but I could never work out whether he was a hooker as Graeme Jennings Jennings and him seemed to have their numbers 9 and 13 swapped around.

Penola Mal Graham played for Oldham after us , in fact , he helped Oldham get to the Challenge cup semi final played at Elland Road against the mighty Wigan , Oldham lost, Graham played a blinder, even having a lot of stitches in his head , wrapped up in bandages and he played all the game. Pretty sure John Ackland played second row.

Were Mick Hughes / Danny Rowe loose forwards?

Think Mick Hughes was second row, cannot remember Rowe's position.

Penola , Terry Webb was a fantastic player for us, David Ward ( When he was our coach ) brought him to us from Leeds, of which we were very lucky to get him . And
yes your right pretty sure Terry played No 9 for us, as you said he did wear that number shirt.

Terry Webb,obviously.

Terry Webb is God ?, did Terry Webb play loose forward when he played for Leeds ? or Number 9 , thanks.

Right so I vote for Johnny Wolford , he won Div 1 championship medal with Bradford Northern, then played for Dewsbury, then we were lucky to have got him off Dews,which was straight after he dumped us out of the Challenge Cup with an outragous dummy and inch perfect kick for the Dews winger to score in the corner, looking back glad that happened now, as we signed him straight after that game. What a player , you always had a chance to win a game with JW in your team,he was the Darren Brown/David Blaine rugby league magician.

#12 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 434 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

The sad thing about this thread is that people only know players from 70's onwards & that's when hunslet has probably had its weakest teams.

Hunslet has had some of the best teams in the country at different times & has had one of the truly great rugby league team not only uk but the WORLD, which only a few other teams in the history of the sport can compete with.

It's kind of sad all these players are forgotten, if they were around today, they would be superstars!

#13 gabby

gabby
  • Coach
  • 750 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

Penola , Terry Webb was a fantastic player for us, David Ward ( When he was our coach ) brought him to us from Leeds, of which we were very lucky to get him . And
yes your right pretty sure Terry played No 9 for us, as you said he did wear that number shirt.

Terry Webb is God ?, did Terry Webb play loose forward when he played for Leeds ? or Number 9 , thanks.

Right so I vote for Johnny Wolford , he won Div 1 championship medal with Bradford Northern, then played for Dewsbury, then we were lucky to have got him off Dews,which was straight after he dumped us out of the Challenge Cup with an outragous dummy and inch perfect kick for the Dews winger to score in the corner, looking back glad that happened now, as we signed him straight after that game. What a player , you always had a chance to win a game with JW in your team,he was the Darren Brown/David Blaine rugby league magician.

Terry Webb wasn't as brilliant a rugby player as Wolford, but one thing he could do was organise the team so we gave nothing away. It wasn't him who wore number 9 but Jennings who played loose forward. The reason he wore No. 9 was that he played hooker one day and tore the sleeves off apparently so David Ward made him wear that shirt all the time with Gibson wearing No. 13. That's what I was told anyway.
It is far better to remain silent and be thought a fool
than to open your mouth and prove that you are.

#14 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,096 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:30 PM

He played at loose forward for Leeds
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#15 Willie the Pimp

Willie the Pimp
  • Coach
  • 532 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

The best I've had the pleasure of seeing play in any forward position for Hunslet was Brian Shaw. Played prop, second row or loose forward, played over 300 games for Hunslet and scored more than 80 tries, he was transferred to Leeds (who else) for a then world record fee in about 1960.

#16 CoventryHawk

CoventryHawk
  • Players
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

I would say Mal Graham was the best Hunslet loose forward I have seen. He only played one season for us but he was outstanding and won our player of the season award. Woolford was very good but by the time he joined us he suffered from a lack of mobility. Webb was good too but I think Graham was a stronger all round player and, if I remember correctly, a more prolific try scorer. It is difficult though to try to compare and remember players from some years ago.

#17 number9

number9
  • Coach
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

Modern era I'd say Gareth Naylor could have gone on to be a great player if not for his injury

Gaz was a centre when I played against and in the same team and if I remember he also played hooker don't hold me to that though.

#18 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

Danny Fearon would have been 1 of the best at this position if he'd have kept an eye on his diet , Roy had to move him to prop when that happen'd , very good player who could have gone on to bigger things.........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users