Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hunslet match

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#41 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

Judging by what I saw on Thursday, the Rams should have a little too much for Whitehaven. If Leigh hadnt stop playing after an hour I think they would have scored 40/50 points. Relatively big pack, and Jackson takes some putting down, but didnt seem to have much creativity and looked very vulnerable to quick play the balls. Ryan Wright and O'Brien could have a field day.

Sounds like Morrison just needs to decide on a settled pair of halves and things could look pretty for Dewsbury. Very early days but cant see you guys finishing any lower than 6th at the bare minimum.

#42 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

Judging by what I saw on Thursday, the Rams should have a little too much for Whitehaven. If Leigh hadnt stop playing after an hour I think they would have scored 40/50 points. Relatively big pack, and Jackson takes some putting down, but didnt seem to have much creativity and looked very vulnerable to quick play the balls. Ryan Wright and O'Brien could have a field day.

Sounds like Morrison just needs to decide on a settled pair of halves and things could look pretty for Dewsbury. Very early days but cant see you guys finishing any lower than 6th at the bare minimum.

Just waiting for Ben Johnston to recover from a hamstring injury. He will play scrum-half and Aaron Brown to carry on at stand-off. IMO we are still in need of a goal-kicker though.

#43 BROADEDDIE

BROADEDDIE
  • Coach
  • 154 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

thought the backs played well in the first half, but Coleman is not good enough, some say its his first full game but for me he tries to do to much, should stick to the game plan, thought the kicking from Brown wasn't too bad, scored two tries from them.
Don't think Pryce is interested he should scoring tries for fun in this league.
As for the referee lets not go there and the substitute ref was abysmal, credit to Hunslet they conned him several times.
Enough of the doom and gloom 2 wins out of 3 for a new team, onward and upward.

#44 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

Yes a win, is a win, but why did I and so many others return home feeling like we'd lost?

I didn't. We won, have seven points, two away wins and a narrow home defeat to the best team in the league. All this and we aren't really firing on all cylinders as yet. Things are looking up and if we win next week we will have made the best start we have made for many a year in this league. ok, it wasn't pretty, but defence was awesome and once we cut out the errors....? if Morton had Austins pace we would have had two more tries......Only disappointment was that we still don't know whether we should play Spaven or Jy-Mel. He made two good breaks today, but otherwise not much to choose between them.

#45 Rammo23

Rammo23
  • Coach
  • 205 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

Eddie Rombo seems as though you have a problem with quite a few of the players for this season, up to now you have had a go at Spaven, Coleman, Morton and now Pryce, I can only hope that Johnston when he gets to play reaches your expectations or he will be another one on your ###### list. Pray tell what is it like to be perfect, I can only imagine

#46 IRISHRAM12

IRISHRAM12
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:50 AM

i some times wonder if any one on this site has played rugby league ie mr rambo.its 3 games into a new season with a new team and coach.two win and a bp.Last week game will of taken plenty out of the players,a win awin in this leauge. jJudge this team after 5or6 games

#47 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:12 AM

i some times wonder if any one on this site has played rugby league ie mr rambo.its 3 games into a new season with a new team and coach.two win and a bp.Last week game will of taken plenty out of the players,a win awin in this leauge. jJudge this team after 5or6 games

I have played Rugby League, and since I go to the games I am entitled to my opinion.

I wasn't the only one at the game that couldn't believe how lackluster we looked. Yes, we are only 3 games in but Morrison himself was looking for an improvement going into the Hunslet game. I just wonder how happy he was.

#48 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:28 AM

Eddie Rombo seems as though you have a problem with quite a few of the players for this season, up to now you have had a go at Spaven, Coleman, Morton and now Pryce, I can only hope that Johnston when he gets to play reaches your expectations or he will be another one on your ###### list. Pray tell what is it like to be perfect, I can only imagine

Firstly, let me point out that I don't have a problem with ANY of the players in the current squad! All sports fans want their team and individuals to play well and to play to their potential. I wasn't the only one at the game yesterday who was frustrated. We all got told how fast Morton was supposed to be but as of yet Buchanan remains the fastest in our current squad. As for Pryce, when he made the break we thought it would be head back and try time, but that wasn't to be. Coleman made two breaks but tried to do all the work himself instead of parting with the ball for certain tries. Spaven was dire against Featherstone and deserved to be dropped. I don't have a ###### list as you call it. I am a realist.
On the other hand, Lillycrop, Spicer, Hepworth, and Brown, were stand out players again.

Edited by Eddie_Rombo, 18 February 2013 - 05:30 AM.

#49 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:57 AM

Nick
the game is not about winning
the performance is important
you may just go watch batley to see them win.
i go to take it all in....and today was boring and poor.

Glad I wasn't the only one to observe this.

#50 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:12 AM

Im not rubbishing any players

im talking from a entertainment value
it was a poor game from that aspect
no real highlights with no stand out performances

yeah we shouldnt complain 2 away wins and a bonus point against the man city of the championship (wont say best team cos there not)
yeah eddie maybe over critical about yesterday at times.

but yesterday i dont think for one minute glenn will be entirely happy at what was served up 3 points or not.

Edited by coolie, 18 February 2013 - 07:13 AM.

#51 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:30 AM

Glad I wasn't the only one to observe this.

ER I have followed your posts about how poor the rams are with interest but by quoting Coolie's wisom I now realise you defo have a screw loose!

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#52 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

Don't think Pryce is interested he should scoring tries for fun in this league.

To be fair, he scored two tries in two minutes yesterday, but had them both wrongly disallowed. I think you need to keep an eye on his tackling too. He has this ability to single handedly wrap opposing players up.

#53 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

yeah we shouldnt complain 2 away wins and a bonus point against the man city of the championship (wont say best team cos there not)

but yesterday i dont think for one minute glenn will be entirely happy at what was served up 3 points or not.

Went and wished I'd stayed at home - left ten minutes early because it was a deadly dull game. After the fev performance I expected so much more, and although I suppose this time last year I would have just been just happy with the win, this year I feel disappointed. While I admire GM's stated desire to play expansive rugby, I can't see him being able to achieve that with the current squad (looks the slowest since Andy kelly's first year), and I think we need to concentrate on our strengths which lie in the pack. On the up side, a wins a win, Brown, spicer and lillycrop again had outstanding games and merrick got his comeuppance so it wasn't all bad. One observation though - although neither wright nor o'brien have done much wrong, they have identical game styles (can't tell them apart TBH), and I'd like to see tebby replacing one of them to add some zip at dummy half. Don't think we will struggle to avoid relegation this year, but I can't see us making the playoffs either - time will tell.

#54 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

Get yer self upto Love Rugby League.com stadium, its like watching the Harlem Globetrotters :D

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#55 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

Get yer self upto Love Rugby League.com stadium, its like watching the Harlem Globetrotters :D

Sooner have my remaining teeth pulled - wouldn't mind having one or two of your surplus sprinters on loan though. :o

#56 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

Are batley now playing friday afternoon ?
i see countless loads of batley folk decending
on mount unpleasant on friday afternoons
clutching a mat to sit on and a book to read at
halftime.

hope you can cope with attendences over 700 ;)

dont throw stones piggy...youll only get them thrown back ;)

#57 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

I'd rather watch union....

#58 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

This really was a poor performance, well on attack anyway. The defence was the better team, but just couldn't keep them at nil. I don't think even the referee's injury lightened the gloom. As a game it was certainly dour. As someone remarked 'I'd forgotten what mediocrity was until today' (or words similar), but that denies the quality of mefiocrity, which is 'ordinary', or 'moderate ability'.

I do hope the Whitehaven game is better.
Legs, Dews, Legs.

#59 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:58 PM

ER I have followed your posts about how poor the rams are with interest but by quoting Coolie's wisom I now realise you defo have a screw loose!

Coolie is our leader na na na na oi! :lol:

#60 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,042 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:08 AM

not saying you're wrong coolie lad, but just out of interest, which team do you think IS the best in the championship and why do you think that?
If your post isn't a 'wind up', (and I'm not sure it isn't :lol:), I'm genuinely interested to read your reasoning on this one

Edited by Robin Evans, 19 February 2013 - 07:09 AM.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)