Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hunslet match

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#61 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,194 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:40 AM

not saying you're wrong coolie lad, but just out of interest, which team do you think IS the best in the championship and why do you think that?
If your post isn't a 'wind up', (and I'm not sure it isn't :lol:), I'm genuinely interested to read your reasoning on this one

Everyone knows Coolies a closet bulldog

Edited by Piggy's mate, 19 February 2013 - 07:41 AM.

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#62 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:49 AM

coolie has senior moments now and again , featherstone are 12 points a better team than any other in the division and will finish league leaders by a comfortable margin . thing i cannot understand robin is when i put up a post on the fev forum stating that the odds on fev winning the league were immense at 6/5 my post was removed for some reason . that price was the bet of the year .

#63 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,950 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:49 AM

Everyone knows Coolies a closet bulldog

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I've heard rumours. You know, whispers n al that!!

Edited by Robin Evans, 19 February 2013 - 07:50 AM.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#64 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:18 AM

The best team is the current champions

yes your team came top and sheffield won
what is basicly a knockout comp.
fev were the more consistant team giving
you ammo on the best team argument
but sheffield won the major prize.
in super league...not that we care like
if you asked 200 people (this survey must be done over 2 home games at batley ;) ) who has been the best team for the last 2 years...answer would be leeda...yet leeds didnt win the league either year.....

best teams last year leeds & sheffield

:)

#65 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:46 AM

not saying you're wrong coolie lad, but just out of interest, which team do you think IS the best in the championship and why do you think that?
If your post isn't a 'wind up', (and I'm not sure it isn't :lol:), I'm genuinely interested to read your reasoning on this one

I hate myself for saying this, and it feels like I'm kicking myself in the alberts doing so, but looking at the contenders, man for man, I reckon the dogs could have the best players. What the dogs don't have is finn, kain, consistency (always play like girlies against the eagles) and the support - which probably makes fev the best team all round, but not by a lot. The scrap for the top spot could be very interesting this year, and the top dogs could even be .... :o the dogs :( .

#66 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:08 AM

Sheffield won the grand final last season so surely they are the best team in the league!

#67 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

Very nice to read that GOR but in my wildest dreams I don't think that will happen. The main reason being that I don't expect to see Alex Walmsley in a dogs shirt again and he is a major loss.

#68 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 437 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

Why is the best team in the league decided by who wins a cup competition, but to decide who is the worst team & gets relegated, Is the team that finishes bottom of the league?

#69 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,950 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

Sheffield won the grand final last season so surely they are the best team in the league!

Well I can see that Logic. But not surprisingly, I don't agree with it. The best team in the league..... in 2010,11&12 was Fev. They topped the league. End of.
The best team in the championship?? Well, again, depends how you view it. The term "champions" is used to describe the team winning the GF, and applying that criteria, you have to say Sheffield!
But that's not what is being debated....

So just for clarification... 2012 sheffield were the champions, deservedly winning the GF. You could argue that made them the best team in the championship....

But Coolie inferred that Fev 'weren't' the best team in the league in 2013. I just wondered who he thought was. Sheffield's performance in the 2012 was indicative of that game in 2012.... the world has moved on in that few months. Who are currently the best team in the league????

Not that it matters a jot like.... it's just me lunchtime and I'm a bit tired of doing nursing sheeeite!!!

#70 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,950 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

I hate myself for saying this, and it feels like I'm kicking myself in the alberts doing so, but looking at the contenders, man for man, I reckon the dogs could have the best players. What the dogs don't have is finn, kain, consistency (always play like girlies against the eagles) and the support - which probably makes fev the best team all round, but not by a lot. The scrap for the top spot could be very interesting this year, and the top dogs could even be .... :o the dogs :( .

I'm a very pragmatic soul Grumps. Not prone to glorification, pot hunting or the looking down on others histrionics that we so readily see. Last years Fev team were good, but unlike the 2011 performances, you could see gaps appearing that could be exposed - and so it came to pass!
I honestly believe that Fev have the ammo this year to plug those gaps. We'll see come final day (if we get there) :lol:
One man's arrogance is another man's confidence...... :lol:

Edited by Robin Evans, 19 February 2013 - 12:11 PM.

#71 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

I'm a very pragmatic soul Grumps. Not prone to glorification, pot hunting or the looking down on others histrionics that we so readily see. Last years Fev team were good, but unlike the 2011 performances, you could see gaps appearing that could be exposed - and so it came to pass!
I honestly believe that Fev have the ammo this year to plug those gaps. We'll see come final day (if we get there) :lol:
One man's arrogance is another man's confidence...... :lol:

I have to think that it will be fev's strength in depth that will win the day - well the campionship anyway, but having said that, it only takes a couple of injuries to key players like finny and kain to make things interesting. Still think it's a load of tosh though, that the most consistent team don't always end up as league champions - imagine that happening in football. Just to throw in a thought - should the two finalists for the playoffs be handicapped according to points difference ? ie. If the eagles, who finished 4th, had been handicapped by the 6 point difference in the clubs positions, then fev would have won and hence been rewarded for their consistency. Sounds contrived I know, but surely there should be some benefit to being top other than two bites at the cherry.
Alternatively, maybe it should be a two legged affair.

#72 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,194 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

We wont know the best team in 2013 until the end of the season! But I am going with GOR & Coolie ..... BATLEY RLFC

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

#73 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,950 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

nah, we have what we have. Fev weren't smart enough on finals day for a sheffield team well up for it. C'est la vie.
I'm a "top of the table wins it" bloke, but if we have to have the play offs - and the telly and the RFL like it, and most fans like a jolly up at the end of the season which seems to me that most seem happy with the system we have.
Be honest I'd prefer a top 4 or five play off rather than the current complex and daft system which to me, rewards mediocrity.
Finishing top gives us the easiest route through the play offs. It's then up to us to capitalise on it.
Personally in 2013 I think it's too early to tell who's the best team... but Fev are probably in most people's thoughts when/if it's being discussed. As I said, we'll see.

#74 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

The top three will be Leigh, Fev and Halifax just based on what they have spent. Sheffield had a good run of form at the end of last season and could upset anyone on their day as they proved in the GF, but lack depth in comparison. Likewise Batley will probably make up the top 5, beyond that its fairly open.

At the moment Fev look the best squad and their result against Leigh supports that. Personally I don't think Fax are as good as last season.

The good news for Rams is that at the moment it looks like we won't be in the relegation mix.

Edited by Wakefield Ram, 19 February 2013 - 06:40 PM.

#75 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,950 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

Rams will be in the play off mix

#76 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,194 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

Rams will be in the play off mix

I too think they will make top eight

#77 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:26 PM

I too think they will make top eight

Top 8 and the double over Batley :D

#78 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

Well I can see that Logic. But not surprisingly, I don't agree with it. The best team in the league..... in 2010,11&12 was Fev. They topped the league. End of.
The best team in the championship?? Well, again, depends how you view it. The term "champions" is used to describe the team winning the GF, and applying that criteria, you have to say Sheffield!
But that's not what is being debated....

So just for clarification... 2012 sheffield were the champions, deservedly winning the GF. You could argue that made them the best team in the championship....

But Coolie inferred that Fev 'weren't' the best team in the league in 2013. I just wondered who he thought was. Sheffield's performance in the 2012 was indicative of that game in 2012.... the world has moved on in that few months. Who are currently the best team in the league????

Not that it matters a jot like.... it's just me lunchtime and I'm a bit tired of doing nursing sheeeite!!!

And after all your spending (and scouting the best Rams players) to be part of the 'best' team in the Championship what happens when you eventually get denied a Super League place?? :rolleyes:

#79 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,950 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:54 AM

I would continue to watch fev as I have done for the last 40 years? Why would that change for me?
We'll see. I am happy to predict that you will probably engage "gloat mode"!!
How on earth will you cope if we do get a place?

Edited by Robin Evans, 20 February 2013 - 08:31 AM.

#80 John North

John North
  • Coach
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

Ideal scenario would be Featherstone up and Wakefield down :rolleyes:
Red Amber Black - Its that simple

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users