Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

NRC Madness?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 muddyfunster

muddyfunster
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

So our leaders see fit to make the NRC even more of a joke by having the final at The Shay! Good chance the home side will be in the Final again. Not only this but (having not been to the final) I got the impression those who did quite enjoyed a day out at the seaside.

Surely as it is the Championship's only cup competition (with the exception of finals day) they should be aiming to make a day of it?

The future's bright, the future's RED AMBER & BLACK!

http://www.jmgaskets-seals.co.uk/

name.png

#2 thehullram

thehullram
  • Coach
  • 228 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

I actually think it's quite a good idea to move it closer. Blackpool was a bit far and the novelty seemed to be wearing off

#3 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

I actually think it's quite a good idea to move it closer. Blackpool was a bit far and the novelty seemed to be wearing off

Is this ironic? Who was the novelty wearing off for?

#4 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,138 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

Attendances were declining probably due to the recession, a final in Halifax could cost you as little as the price of a ticket, a final in Blackpool was a damned more expensive affair for most

#5 legin

legin
  • Players
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

On RFL web it also states the Championship finals will be played at Leigh s ground .

#6 funkmaster flex

funkmaster flex
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

I'm with Gary on this one.

Blackpool was just not worth the effort or expense tbh. I will most likely go to Halifax.

Living life and loving every second

http://www.summerhol.com

#7 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

Attendances were declining probably due to the recession, a final in Halifax could cost you as little as the price of a ticket, a final in Blackpool was a damned more expensive affair for most

Where is your evidence that the attendances were declining? Last years was disappointing, but it can be argued that that was for other reasons rather than the recession. there is no real pattern to attendances for the NRC final. I understand the reasons for moving it, especially as it keeps the money paid out within the game (or does it go straight to Halifax council?) but declining attendances is not one of them.

#8 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,138 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

These are the Blackpool attendances

2012 - 6,691
2011 - 8.522
2010 - 8,138
2009 - 8,720
2008 - 6,328
2007 - 8,326
2006 - 7,547
2005 - 9,400

I suppose not really a downward trend but the last 3 years are worse than the first 3 years on average and none of these figures would suggest a 16,750 capacity stadium would be suitable, neither would the Shay at 14,500 to be honest, i would have thought the New Salford ground at 12,000 would be much better.

#9 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

Dont you think its more keeping rugby league money within rugby league.
be very surprised if blackpool was giving the ground for free...yet another cost cutting by the fools of the RFL.

#10 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

These are the Blackpool attendances

2012 - 6,691
2011 - 8.522
2010 - 8,138
2009 - 8,720
2008 - 6,328
2007 - 8,326
2006 - 7,547
2005 - 9,400

I suppose not really a downward trend but the last 3 years are worse than the first 3 years on average and none of these figures would suggest a 16,750 capacity stadium would be suitable, neither would the Shay at 14,500 to be honest, i would have thought the New Salford ground at 12,000 would be much better.

I agree that salford would be a good venue due to its inherent neutrality. I actually said it was a bad move, I am just disputng the argumant that declining attendences are the reason for moving.

#11 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,138 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:44 AM

I agree that salford would be a good venue due to its inherent neutrality. I actually said it was a bad move, I am just disputng the argumant that declining attendences are the reason for moving.

But then i never actually said declining attendances were the reason for moving it, i just said attendances were decling due to the recession, no mention as to that being a reason for the move and no inferrence meant either.

Posted Image

#12 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,953 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:51 AM

be very surprised if blackpool was giving the ground for free...yet another cost cutting by the fools of the RFL.

almost right coolio!!
B'pool cost 50k to the rfl for the day so different venues were debated and voted upon most certainly with a view to keeping as much money as poss within the game.
The clubs, not the rfl voted this change in!

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#13 muddyfunster

muddyfunster
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:19 AM

So we as clubs voted for this in order to put money back into the game, fair enough.

Surly a neutral venue such as Salford Headingley or the Halliwell Jones would have been a better options in this case. Why should one team get an advantage? Halifax have IMO a little extra incentive to reach the final and should they do so then you would think they already have the upper hand over their opponents.

I recall us beating Leigh in the Transpennine cup final at home 13 years ago, I'm not being hypocritical as it was wrong then and it is now.

This has been mentioned before but, why not have it as an opener to the Challenge Cup Final, after all the RFL have paid for Wembley on that day?!

The future's bright, the future's RED AMBER & BLACK!

http://www.jmgaskets-seals.co.uk/

name.png

#14 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,138 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

So we as clubs voted for this in order to put money back into the game, fair enough.

Surly a neutral venue such as Salford Headingley or the Halliwell Jones would have been a better options in this case. Why should one team get an advantage? Halifax have IMO a little extra incentive to reach the final and should they do so then you would think they already have the upper hand over their opponents.

I recall us beating Leigh in the Transpennine cup final at home 13 years ago, I'm not being hypocritical as it was wrong then and it is now.

This has been mentioned before but, why not have it as an opener to the Challenge Cup Final, after all the RFL have paid for Wembley on that day?!

Batley also won it the year before on home turf

Edited by Gary Coyle, 15 February 2013 - 09:54 AM.

#15 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

Lets hope its a bit cheaper than for regular Halifax games!!1 Those buggers dont half know what to charge and dont even have a £2 turnstile that absolutely everybody goes through... They could learn a thing or two from us....

#16 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,953 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

I think the shay and the lsv was much better value for money.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#17 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

If it was, they'd use a ground owned by a rugby league club - not one owned by t'council.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#18 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

Would the rent be the same if there were three games on that day ? We don't know that - though I'm guessing no. And then there's the issue of a six-way gate split. What would you suggest ? Unlikely that the Challenge Cup finalists would be happy whatever you suggest - they'd insist that the bulk of the crowd had come to see them. And - unlikely though it may be - there is the possibility that one of the Rail Cup finalists could be in the Challenge Cup final. In fact the Bowl finalists could be in all three. :wacko:
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#19 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 437 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

The challenge cup final struggles to sell out. So having the NRC final would help make it a sell out. This can only be good for the game & it's image while on national TV.

Having it at wembley would make it more of a incentive, it would be a chance of a life time for a part time player to play at wembley. Plus us supporters get to see your own team at wembley.

They did once for the plate final in 97, and by the 2nd half over 50000 people were watching.

#20 Rammo23

Rammo23
  • Coach
  • 200 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

Stanley Gene got a hat trick in that game it was HKR v Hunslet so does that mean Stanley was the first to score a hat trick at Wembley not Robbie Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users