Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tony Smith criticises Salford's approach for Morley

A bit rich?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,993 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

I was reading Tony Smith's criticism of Salford for pursuing Morley. This struck me as surprising given that:
- clearly Salford are going to try and get some positive publicity any which way they can, and could be applauded for that, or at least cut some slack;
- my memory may not be what it was, but not so long ago a Salford player went on strike when on his way to Wire, which rather suggests that Mr Smith hardly occupies the moral high ground generally or with Salford in particular; and
- despite having hit many heads over the years, his behaviour in the last few years makes me think Mr Morley deserves the opportunity to decide how he wishes to leave the stage without being squabbled over.

#2 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

Yeah I agree, (I didn't think it was thread worthy so posted elsewhere) but yes, I think it's rather ironic.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#3 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,704 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

I was reading Tony Smith's criticism of Salford for pursuing Morley. This struck me as surprising given that:
- clearly Salford are going to try and get some positive publicity any which way they can, and could be applauded for that, or at least cut some slack;
- my memory may not be what it was, but not so long ago a Salford player went on strike when on his way to Wire, which rather suggests that Mr Smith hardly occupies the moral high ground generally or with Salford in particular; and
- despite having hit many heads over the years, his behaviour in the last few years makes me think Mr Morley deserves the opportunity to decide how he wishes to leave the stage without being squabbled over.

I think your memory is out somewhat.

1) Salford should go for whatever publicity they want - but talking about signing a player publicly, before the date allowed and whilst he is under contract, is naughty and potentially unsettling. Warrington never did this (happy to be proved wrong if anybody has a link, but I'm pretty sure there is nothing out there).

2) No player went on strike at Salford. Warrington went through the correct channels and from memory, it was actually McRae who dropped Myler as he pretty much saw his backside with him. It was all blamed on lack of form, and naturally the fans turned on him and saw him as a traitor, but again, from memory, Salford were publicly talking about the Myler situation before Warrington ever discussed it publicly. No charges were ever levelled at Warrington, so we can assume they did nothing wrong, despite some claims here and elsewhere.

3) Morley will get to decide who he plays for - I'm not that sure of your point.

#4 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

Seems an odd comment from the head coach of a team that approached a player still under contract, without telling Salford or another player before the deadline for a player out of contract.

Didn't Warrington also get in to trouble over Wood and Westwood (pre Smith)

I,m sure it just slipped his mind.

Edited to answer Dave- Salford spoke to Warrington about signing Morley, but were refused permission.

Edited by Red Willow, 14 February 2013 - 05:06 PM.

#5 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,993 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

Seems an odd comment from the head coach of a team that approached a player still under contract, without telling Salford or another player before the deadline for a player out of contract.

Didn't Warrington also get in to trouble over Wood and Westwood (pre Smith)

I,m sure it just slipped his mind.

Edited to answer Dave- Salford spoke to Warrington about signing Morley, but were refused permission.

That's how I recalled it. Just seemed an unnecessary thing to make an issue of. It's not as if Morley is capable of being unsettled at his stage in life.

#6 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,704 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:03 PM

I dont recall Warrington ever getting into trouble for transfer business.
They went to a tribunal over Westwood or Anat Wood - completely different thing to doing anything underhand.

#7 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,704 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

I assume there is evidence of this RW as this is a very serious allegation.

#8 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,039 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

They should put in an offer for Garreth Carvell; I wish we could afford him.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#9 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

1) Salford should go for whatever publicity they want - but talking about signing a player publicly, before the date allowed and whilst he is under contract, is naughty and potentially unsettling. Warrington never did this (happy to be proved wrong if anybody has a link, but I'm pretty sure there is nothing out there).

No of course Warrington would never engage in any sort of activity like unsettling players with talk of signing them. How dare anyone make any sort of suggestion that a club like Warrington even dreamt of unsettling the likes of Myler & Ratchford while they were still under contract at Salford ;)

#10 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,704 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

No of course Warrington would never engage in any sort of activity like unsettling players with talk of signing them. How dare anyone make any sort of suggestion that a club like Warrington even dreamt of unsettling the likes of Myler & Ratchford while they were still under contract at Salford ;)

Did they?

MaCrae complained about the rules, but AFAIK there was never any allegation of underhand business (apart from fans of course).

Are you basically suggesting that any player who signs for a new club has been tapped up?

Edited by Dave T, 15 February 2013 - 12:17 PM.

#11 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

I assume there is evidence of this RW as this is a very serious allegation.

Not an allegation, simply I consider approaches to agents as approaching a player but the RFL wouldn't.

Any player who remains under contract but then signs for another has probably been tapped up via their agent.

Salford have had a few problems recently with this even before our financial worries became terminal.

#12 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,704 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

Not an allegation, simply I consider approaches to agents as approaching a player but the RFL wouldn't.

Any player who remains under contract but then signs for another has probably been tapped up via their agent.

Salford have had a few problems recently with this even before our financial worries became terminal.

This:

is definitely an allegation. Quite a serious one. You basically state that they have done something illegal.

#13 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

Jodie Broughton. Cough.

#14 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:06 PM

Has Tony Smith become Mr Grumpy of rugby league? Great coach but perhaps lost his sense of humour? Salford's "approach" for Morley was no more than Wakey's approach for Jason Robinson back in 2000 or so, tho' we got fined £10k thanks to Uncle Mo!!

#15 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

seems salford will be signing griffin from leeds so that may clear things up over wanting morley now
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users