Alex Walmsley

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

Has been selected in the Saints 19 for tomorrow night.

#2 no1 saints fan

no1 saints fan
  • Players
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

Looking forward to watching him play against SL opposition. Will be a big test for him against Hull's pack.

Our injury situation means that he gets his chance. He could be with us for a few weeks. I'm sure he will be back with you guys soon because I don't think Nathan Brown will want to 'over play' him. Keep his feet on the ground and all that.

Be interested to know your opinions of him regarding the 2 games he has played this year. Has he improved? Is he playing the same number of minutes as last year?

#3 Bat Lad

Bat Lad
  • Coach
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:54 AM

Alex played really well against Keighley, didn't see the game v Sheffield, he will be a great asset for you, good luck to him against Hull.

#4 vitocorleone

vitocorleone
  • Coach
  • 678 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

Was excellent against Keighley, although admittedly poor opposition.

Didn`t have the greatest game last week, but who can perform at that level every week?

I think he is very raw, but has immense potential.

#5 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 554 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

He made his Saints debut off the bench against Hull.

Sorry to say that two handling errors from him are mentioned in the match report.

Edited by Bi11, 16 February 2013 - 10:37 AM.

#6 no1 saints fan

no1 saints fan
  • Players
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

He made his Saints debut off the bench against Hull.

Sorry to say that two handling errors from him are mentioned in the match report.

Overall I was very impressed. Came on and played about 15 mins in first half, and about 10 mins in second half. He ran the ball in really well. He was our best prop imo. Took the ball at speed and didn't slow down.

He lifted the players and the crowd when he came on. It was great to see. Tackled his heart out too and put in a few good hits. As you would expect, his biggest issue is fitness. But that will come in time. He should be better next season.

You mentioned the two handling errors. They where both identical. He fumbled the ball on 2 occasions when attempting to play the ball. He was obviously nervous and you can understand that. He was annoyed with himself and after the second knock on he just looked at the ground and shouted something to himself in frustration. You could tell that he was desperate to impress and was probably to eager. I felt abit sorry for him to be honest. But the players rallied around him and patted him on the back.

But apart from that he looked the part. Great potential.

#7 vitocorleone

vitocorleone
  • Coach
  • 678 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

Can you do that throughout the season please as I`m really looking forward to seeing how he progresses this year.

Cheers

#8 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 554 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

Overall I was very impressed. Came on and played about 15 mins in first half, and about 10 mins in second half. He ran the ball in really well. He was our best prop imo. Took the ball at speed and didn't slow down.

He lifted the players and the crowd when he came on. It was great to see. Tackled his heart out too and put in a few good hits. As you would expect, his biggest issue is fitness. But that will come in time. He should be better next season.

You mentioned the two handling errors. They where both identical. He fumbled the ball on 2 occasions when attempting to play the ball. He was obviously nervous and you can understand that. He was annoyed with himself and after the second knock on he just looked at the ground and shouted something to himself in frustration. You could tell that he was desperate to impress and was probably to eager. I felt abit sorry for him to be honest. But the players rallied around him and patted him on the back.

But apart from that he looked the part. Great potential.

Thanks for the reply, and pleased to hear that he impressed you. He really looked the part last season despite it being his first season in the Championship.

#9 no1 saints fan

no1 saints fan
  • Players
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:43 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

Can you do that throughout the season please as I`m really looking forward to seeing how he progresses this year.

Cheers

I think he is just starting to find his feet at SL level now. He's getting more confident with every game.

Just been looking at the stats from the game against Wakefield. At first I thought that Walmsley's stats can't be right. The amount of metres made was sensational. Given he was only on the field for about 35 mins they are quite amazing. Once we get him up to 40-50 mins, what is he going to be like then?

A lots of saints fans have been saying that we seem to have found the genuine metre maker that we have been looking for. His work rate with ball in hand reminds me a lot of James Graham's when he first broke through into the first team.

It was great for him to get his first try too. He won't have to do the naked run now for not scoring any tries. Last year, Josh Perry had to do it and he was promptly arrested by the police for suspicion of indecent exposure!!

#10 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 239 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:34 PM

Great to hear is doing so well knew he was too good for our level at times last season. Was hoping to see him in a batley shirt this season but had a feeling once he broke in to your team we might not see much of him good luck beast hope to see him back at the mount again this season with a little luck :-)

#11 BirstallDog

BirstallDog
  • Coach
  • 755 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:43 PM

Just my opinion.
Alex will do more for the saints than James Graham..- Given time
He has a brilliant attitude and his feet are placed firmly on the ground.

#12 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:07 PM

Just my opinion.

I dont think its possible to do more for saints than James Graham did he was absolutely collosal for them every game
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#13 mountieman21

mountieman21
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:46 PM

If Alex turns out to be half the player of James Graham we will all be very grateful
Saints,England,Batley whoever they will all benefit from him being in their team.

#14 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:10 AM

Just my opinion.

Early days. He is a decent player, but to begin comparing him favourably to Graham might be a little premature!

#15 bromleybulldog

bromleybulldog
  • Coach
  • 347 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

Looks like Alex made 173 yards in 17 carries to make more yards than any other player- and he only played 35 minutes! Wow!

#16 vitocorleone

vitocorleone
  • Coach
  • 678 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:04 PM

Yards or Meters?

#17 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:37 PM

Yards or Meters?

Does he play for Saints or British Gas?
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#18 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 554 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:48 PM

Does he play for Saints or British Gas?

No more British Gas than, say, a chap called Beswick looking like a Greek nymph!

#19 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 554 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

Todays Yorkshire Post says that the top ten average metres gained list for Super League this year contains nine backs (wingers and centres) and just one forward, that being Alex Warmsley.

#20 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

No more British Gas than, say, a chap called Beswick looking like a Greek nymph!

Nope, you've got me there Bi11.

Translation please?
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users