Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Short term Dual Registrations

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ProBono

ProBono
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

Should short term Dual Registrations be allowed in order to cover the loss of a player due to suspension?
Chase does it again so C@S sign a Warrington stand-off for a month.

#2 IanFalkiner

IanFalkiner
  • Coach
  • 132 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

The Warrington lad (O'Brien) has signed on loan. The minimum time a player can spend on loan is 1 month. This as not changed and is different to D/R.

#3 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

Says a lot about player development in Super League if theyre loaning other teams reserve players.

Dont Cas have than Johnston and Milner who can play 6?

Cummins Out.

#4 ProBono

ProBono
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

For "Short term Dual Registrations" read Short Term Loans. My point was bringing in a replacement from another club to cover the absence of a player due to suspension.

#5 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,614 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

For "Short term Dual Registrations" read Short Term Loans. My point was bringing in a replacement from another club to cover the absence of a player due to suspension.

Yes, of course. Nobody complained before the dual reg issue came up and it's been happening for a lot of years.

If you don't allow teams to strengthen temporary weaknesses - whether due to injury or suspension - you're back to the "integrity of the competition" issue again. "Cleckhuddersfax only won the Championship because they beat Heckwykethorpe when they had two star players out injured"

Which is exactly what opponents of DR keep trotting out.

Edited by Griff, 15 February 2013 - 09:26 AM.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#6 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

Yes, of course. Nobody complained before the dual reg issue came up and it's been happening for a lot of years.

If you don't allow teams to strengthen temporary weaknesses - whether due to injury or suspension - you're back to the "integrity of the competition" issue again. "Cleckhuddersfax only won the Championship because they beat Heckwykethorpe when they had two star players out injured"

Which is exactly what opponents of DR keep trotting out.

I can remember Rovers getting relegated from NL1 in 2005 when they had to beat Doncaster on the last day of the season to have any chance of staying up. Half the Doncaster side were loan players from Super League Widnes, who were facing relegation from SL and wanted Donny to win the NL1 Grand Final because they hadn't applied for Super League, and if they had won it, Widnes would have been reprieved.
We need safeguards against this type of thing happening again. For a start, I would make a rule whereby DR or loan players can only be registered for one set of play-offs, either SL or Championship!

Edited by Steve Slater, 15 February 2013 - 12:28 PM.

#7 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

To be fair Steve, that year Donny could have played their rsserves and wed still have struggled to get what we needed.

Cummins Out.

#8 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,614 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

Well, I didn't say half of that. <_<

I agree - nobody should be registered after a certain date. We used to have a rule like that - last Thursday in March or summat.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users