Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

RFL shortlisted for the Sport Governing Body of the Year

RFL media release

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

The RFL is delighted to announce that it has been officially shortlisted for the prestigious 2013 Sport Governing Body of the Year Award, part of the Sports Industry Group’s Annual Awards ceremony sponsored by the Daily Telegraph.

It is the third successive year that Rugby League’s Governing Body has been shortlisted for the award, which recognises standout performances from the UK’s leading governing bodies across four key pillars of governance, comprising Performance, Leadership, Community and Ethics.

Following one of the most exciting years in the history of British sport, The RFL have been shortlisted alongside British Cycling, British Olympic Association, UK Athletics, British Horseracing and England Hockey with the winning organisation to be announced at the star-studded Sport Industry Awards ceremony on Thursday May 2.

“It is an outstanding achievement to be shortlisted for this prestigious award for a third consecutive year and recognises the hard work from everyone involved with the organisation and the wider sport in making major changes like the successful switch of the playing calendar and ground breaking initiatives like the ‘Tackle It’ campaign. Achievements like winning the Stonewall Sports Award for 2012 have demonstrated that we have continued to reinforce our position as a forward-thinking and progressive governing body,” said RFL Chief Executive Nigel Wood.

“This news is a welcome boost at the start of the biggest year for Rugby League in two decades, with Rugby League World Cup 2013 in England and Wales this autumn. The Rugby League World Cup will be the next home international sporting event after London 2012 and, with the new season underway, there is a real sense of excitement about the year ahead, brilliantly captured by the iconic promotional film featuring Tour de France winner and multiple Olympic Gold Medallist, Sir Bradley Wiggins, in which the most popular sportsperson in the country declares that, `deep down I would love to be a Rugby League player’.”

Nick Keller, Chairman of the Sport Industry Group, commented: “ Being named on the Official Shortlist for the Sport Industry Awards is definitive proof that a team, brand or organisation's work has been amongst the very best in its field across an entire year.”

The six organisations shortlisted for the Sport Governing Body of the Year Award, sponsored by the Daily Telegraph are:
  • Rugby Football League
  • British Cycling
  • British Horseracing Authority
  • BOA
  • England Hockey
  • UKA
The six governing bodies join the other brands, campaigns and organisations that have been shortlisted after a rigorous steering process involving more than 45 key figures from across the industry and 50 hours of intensive judging fully overseen by Deloitte, the Official Independent Scrutineer of the Sport Industry Awards, to ensure absolute transparency and impartiality, the list of nominees represents the best the industry had to offer in 2012.

With entries up by more than 30% year-on-year, reaching the shortlist in 2013 represents a stellar achievement. The results will be announced at the Sport Industry Awards ceremony on Thursday May 2, 2012.
-ends-

Mark Covell
Head of PR

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 brooza

brooza
  • 4,295 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

I blame the RFL
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#3 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,075 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

That news should cause a fair amount of apoplexy on here! :D

Edited by Futtocks, 15 February 2013 - 09:52 AM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#4 brooza

brooza
  • 4,295 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

Incidentally, this will go to one of the Olympic bodies
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#5 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,991 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

One word FARCE

#6 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:09 AM

I blame the RFL

Haha! :lol:

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#7 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:09 AM

we have a Head of PR.. excellent.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#8 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

My only issue with this is, while the RFL obviously must be doing somethings very, very well, will it lead to complacency. I'm not having a dig, and I'm certainly not one who rages against the RFL, but they aren't perfect and worry they may not listen or embrace any changes.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#9 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,131 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

They'll win if the y bring back P&R
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#10 clement

clement
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

Jesus Christ.Ha Ha.

#11 clement

clement
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

Who's nominated the RFL,Mr Hetherington?

#12 bimbo101

bimbo101
  • Coach
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

How can a sporting body that looks after only a third of it's members be nominated for an award?

#13 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,831 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

Omnifarce, omnishambles,omnidisgrace, omnistitchup, omniomniomnikickintheteethforalldecentfansandespeciallythechampionshipclubsiblamemauricelindeybringbackpandrlicencingisbolloxletdownsolddowntheriver RFL

#14 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,905 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

Omnifarce, omnishambles,omnidisgrace, omnistitchup, omniomniomnikickintheteethforalldecentfansandespeciallythechampionshipclubsiblamemauricelindeybringbackpandrlicencingisbolloxletdownsolddowntheriver RFL

well aye!!
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#15 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,831 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

How can a sporting body that looks after only a third of it's members be nominated for an award?

The answer is they can't, so that gives a lie to al the ###### that has been spouted on here by the RFL haters

#16 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,905 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

The answer is they can't, so that gives a lie to al the ###### that has been spouted on here by the RFL haters

you have a view john. I have another. C'est la vie.
Not that I hate anyone like!!!

#17 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,831 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

Not aimed at you!

#18 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,905 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

I gathered! :lol:
Keep smiling... it's a lovely day!! :lol:

#19 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,715 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

Loving the feed from @RLMeltdown on this.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#20 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,966 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

Loving the feed from @RLMeltdown on this.

I'm amazed you get so many variations on 'brewery' into 140 characters.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users