Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

RFL shortlisted for the Sport Governing Body of the Year

RFL media release

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,130 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

Maybe the RFL are making the best out of a bad job. All the things you post are true. However, if they are supposed to be the stewards of the total game, destroying half of it to safeguards a small echelon at the top is hardly fulfilling their mission.

It's the small echelon at the top that..............

1. Attracts £90,000,000 from SKY every 5 years

2. Produces the vast bulk of professional players

3. Attracts 132,000 paying fans paying top dollar

4. Attracts very big TV audiences including admirers from all over the country

5. Attracts millionaires to come in and run their clubs.

6. Keeps the terrestrial TV's interest and respect

I really think that you vastly overestimate the importance of the championship clubs by a couple of hundred miles.

Edited by The Parksider, 17 February 2013 - 08:00 PM.

#62 mmp

mmp
  • Coach
  • 380 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

The failure to ensure targets were met to enable continuing Sport England funding and , as a result the retrenchment currently taking place in the amateur game, is a very bad outcome, for which the RFL, as architects of the player production plan put in place, are ultimately responsible.

whatever people think of the other points - this bit shows a real failure to understand the basics of the situation. a) what retrenchment? B) the Sport England monies and targets were not exactly helping the amateur game - our type of sport was not what the funding was designed for and as a result, we (or actually, the RFL!) did a very good job in securing the money in the first place! and c) the player production plan and its impact on amatuer rugby was damaging - because it tried to hard to keep pro-clubs (including the Championship clubs) happy.

too much on here is used a 'evidence' to justify a point. the same small group of people make the smae mis-informed points over and over again and then suggest its common knowledge that what the small group say is actually fact.
In Bury or North Manchester? Interested in Rugby League? Check out the Rugby League in Bury web-site: http://www.pitchero....bs/burybroncos/

#63 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,019 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

I really think that you vastly overestimate the importance of the championship clubs by a couple of hundred miles.

You missed probably the most important one out

7. Gets most kids interested in playing the game.

#64 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:01 AM

So. The RFL is still not looking out for a large part of its remit, i.e. anything below SL and therefore dont qualify for this award. Simple really.

#65 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,969 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:17 AM

So. The RFL is still not looking out for a large part of its remit, i.e. anything below SL and therefore dont qualify for this award. Simple really.

You better tell the people that decided otherwise, clearly you know more than they do.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#66 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,130 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:04 AM

You don't argue with the realities of what Superleague means to the game, including Bob's addition that Superleague gets kids interested/holds their interest in the game.

But to pretend that they don't bother with "anything below SL" is a contrivance, because you clearly don't want to mention that below the SL game is Championship clubs but below them are hundreds of Amateur and junior clubs that the RFL look out for in conjunction with SL clubs who are tied into many of these clubs and the inspiration for many of them playing.

In Superleague areas there are the bulk of the thriving amateur/kids clubs.

The past is the past and a wonderful thing it was but the RFL aren't going to let it drag them down as L'Ange says.

It's a tired old argument that the nasty RFL dont care. The reality is massive social and economic changes in sport have done for the smaller semi-pro clubs. If you want to reverse that then it's a free country, but you won't reverse anything contriving arguments with me.

#67 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

I'm more Northern and way more working class than you and want to know how you decide this shoe doesn't fit? Because they are not perfect? Nobody is.
A bunch of outsiders think so, and sadly for you they have a different opinion.

I've already given my reasons for the ill fitting shoe so you can go back and read them. Maybe the outsiders don't have the full picture on the RL's governance of the whole game as they probably are only aware that SL exists and are somehat unknowledgeable about the forgotten bottom half of the game. It's not particulalrly sad for me if the RFL win the award, it will make the game look good to the outside world and, given the paucity of coverage RL gets, the fact that they don't actually deserve to get it can be a family secret.

#68 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

You better tell the people that decided otherwise, clearly you know more than they do.

Clearly.

#69 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,130 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

Maybe the outsiders don't have the full picture on the RL's governance of the whole game as they probably are only aware that SL exists and are somehat unknowledgeable about the forgotten bottom half of the game.

What's the make up of the "bottom half of the game" then or are you inferring RFL only bother about Superleague? Which would of course be ridiculous.

#70 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

You don't argue with the realities of what Superleague means to the game, including Bob's addition that Superleague gets kids interested/holds their interest in the game.

But to pretend that they don't bother with "anything below SL" is a contrivance, because you clearly don't want to mention that below the SL game is Championship clubs but below them are hundreds of Amateur and junior clubs that the RFL look out for in conjunction with SL clubs who are tied into many of these clubs and the inspiration for many of them playing.

In Superleague areas there are the bulk of the thriving amateur/kids clubs.

The past is the past and a wonderful thing it was but the RFL aren't going to let it drag them down as L'Ange says.

It's a tired old argument that the nasty RFL dont care. The reality is massive social and economic changes in sport have done for the smaller semi-pro clubs. If you want to reverse that then it's a free country, but you won't reverse anything contriving arguments with me.

I'm not trying to reverse anything. I'm posting on a RL forum and your posting is contradicting my point so I am posting counter arguments to your point of view.

I'm not contriving anything.
That's your thing to make everything into a personal attack on you. You have done this countless times. You must be the most thin skinned person in the world of RL. Go on, get all huffy about that and re hash your point yet again ad infinitum.

#71 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,062 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

I think we've been here before.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#72 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,353 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

I think we've been here before.

Again and again and again and again...

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#73 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,019 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

I'm not trying to reverse anything. I'm posting on a RL forum and your posting is contradicting my point so I am posting counter arguments to your point of view.

I'm not contriving anything.
That's your thing to make everything into a personal attack on you. You have done this countless times. You must be the most thin skinned person in the world of RL. Go on, get all huffy about that and re hash your point yet again ad infinitum.

"re hash your point yet again ad infinitum."

Posted Image

#74 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,062 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

Again and again and again and again...

Yep, I suspect another thread to be locked thanks to these two.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#75 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,130 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

Yep, I suspect another thread to be locked thanks to these two.

If it get's locked I'll blame you for encouraging it :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users