League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Barrow Raiders and Darren Holt stand firm on DR

dual reg/twinning/feeder

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Poll: Will this cost barrow a place in the championship? (31 member(s) have cast votes)

will barrow get relegated?

1. Yes (6 votes [19.35%])

Percentage of vote: 19.35%

2. No (10 votes [32.26%])

Percentage of vote: 32.26%

3. To early in the season to tell (15 votes [48.39%])

Percentage of vote: 48.39%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,865 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

I think Barrow fans are clutching at straws and looking to use the DR issue to deflect from their own very poor recruitment. Their squad is pretty weak IMHO and they have signed some players who were very average in the league below and simply not up to playing at this higher level. That has nothing to do with DR.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#42 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

Possibly right Derwent but all the clubs should be running with the squads they've assembled in the off season with a couple of DRs or loans if needed.

Edited by jpmc, 17 February 2013 - 04:17 PM.

#43 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,472 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

Well we'll have to see, but Superleague will devour anything outside superleague that will make it that bit more Super.

If we end up with only 14 clubs and then the economics dictate that has to go to 12 then 10 that will be a manifestation of the fact that less and less people don't want to watch, play or fund RL anymore.

I'm fine with that. If this country doesn't want Rugby League then fine. But as long as it does we need a Superleague as strong as possible to promote the game.

Sheeple don't know what they want (anymore) until the Television tells them what they want & Where to spend their money.

Sky TV's rating for SL are impressive compared to other more high profile sports who get a bigger financial slice of Sky's funding Pie meaning Sky are getting the better of the deal with RL, Could a very simple long term plan work for both SKY TV & RL ?

This may be a too simplistic idea here but here goes anyway, As Murdoc dominates the media on many levels why don't they "under instruction" simply "Big up League" through their mediums across the board ? Increase coverage by a set amount each year until it receives the same amount of exposure as Union & Cricket ? why not ?

As the games expands to Gloucester, Oxford, Wales, London & the Midlands etc expand the exposure right across the country thus bringing the games into peoples conscience, the more folk read, see (on TV) hear & begin to talk about the sport the more of them will fancy seeing the game in the flesh, the more they see the game in the flesh the more they will want.....................As we already know its a fast dynamite gripping manly sport who the others are not aware of yet !!

It would be cost effective for Sky and they then could raise the coffers of all clubs not just SL, As grass roots & semi-pro are the seedlings that produce the fruit that are SL players.

Win/Win scenario to me.

#44 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,472 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

I think Barrow fans are clutching at straws and looking to use the DR issue to deflect from their own very poor recruitment. Their squad is pretty weak IMHO and they have signed some players who were very average in the league below and simply not up to playing at this higher level. That has nothing to do with DR.

Despicable Des left Barrow shafted on many levels, so we had to cut our cloth accordingly, Our problem is compounded by the double whammy of having to upgrade the Floodlights or face another demotion in the same season its open house to flood your team with SL Players on the SL clubs whim, Now were faced with the problem of sticking to our values or selling out (so to speak, not having a pop at anyone or any club here jusy my opinion)

Getting destroyed at Fev today may make that decision for them.

#45 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

Sheeple don't know what they want (anymore) until the Television tells them what they want & Where to spend their money.

Sky TV's rating for SL are impressive compared to other more high profile sports who get a bigger financial slice of Sky's funding Pie meaning Sky are getting the better of the deal with RL, Could a very simple long term plan work for both SKY TV & RL ?

This may be a too simplistic idea here but here goes anyway, As Murdoc dominates the media on many levels why don't they "under instruction" simply "Big up League" through their mediums across the board ? Increase coverage by a set amount each year until it receives the same amount of exposure as Union & Cricket ? why not ?

Why not, it worked for football when the PL was created.

rldfsignature.jpg

#46 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,999 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

As the games expands to Gloucester, Oxford, Wales, London & the Midlands etc expand the exposure right across the country thus bringing the games into peoples conscience, the more folk read, see (on TV) hear & begin to talk about the sport the more of them will fancy seeing the game in the flesh, the more they see the game in the flesh the more they will want.....................As we already know its a fast dynamite gripping manly sport who the others are not aware of yet !!

It would be cost effective for Sky and they then could raise the coffers of all clubs not just SL, As grass roots & semi-pro are the seedlings that produce the fruit that are SL players.

Win/Win scenario to me.

I certainly do agree wholeheartedly that SKY are operating a false economy by not funding Superleague properly.

The product suffers.

Wether "semi-pro are the seedlings that produce the fruit that are SL players" we probably disagree on. Semi pro feed off Superleague and I don't see them producing hardly any SL players at all.

#47 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,865 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

Despicable Des left Barrow shafted on many levels, so we had to cut our cloth accordingly, Our problem is compounded by the double whammy of having to upgrade the Floodlights or face another demotion in the same season its open house to flood your team with SL Players on the SL clubs whim, Now were faced with the problem of sticking to our values or selling out (so to speak, not having a pop at anyone or any club here jusy my opinion)

Getting destroyed at Fev today may make that decision for them.

I know all that mate and I'm not really knocking Barrow but the DR thing is a bit of a red herring. If you're honest the Barrow squad would struggle a bit even if DR didn't exist. Lads like Whitehead, Wiper, Kaighan etc were ok at CC1 level but not really good enough to play at this level.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#48 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

I know all that mate and I'm not really knocking Barrow but the DR thing is a bit of a red herring. If you're honest the Barrow squad would struggle a bit even if DR didn't exist. Lads like Whitehead, Wiper, Kaighan etc were ok at CC1 level but not really good enough to play at this level.

To be fair in all the games we have played (bar the featherstone one) an SL player has been the best player on the pitch and scored the decisive try in the game. Our squad isn't going to be challenging for honours people have accepted that, but when you've got SL players you don't have access to it really doesn't help you. I do agree some of the players though we have signed arnt good enough for this level though, I doubt we are spending near the cap and have gone for younger lads and local players to cut down on travelliing costs and paying excessive wages as we are still recovering from Dessies era plus are trying to make stadium improvements also.

We'll just have to see how the season pans out I guess, we're only 3 games in and with 23 games to go and still a lot of rugby to be played.

#49 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,472 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

I hear you Derwent, were just hopeful local pride and enough home wins will see us safe then try to rebuild slowly once we have some spare cash, PS You sound a decent fella want to buy some Floodlight appeal raffle tickets :)

#50 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,472 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

Why not, it worked for football when the PL was created.

NFL was on its ###### then they revamped it by (WAIT FOR THIS) showing the big hits in slow motion so you could see the ripple effect on the bodies as they were slammed & played classical music on the slow mo.......it was on a documentary over here (US) An English firm did it apparently many years back now.

Imagine seeing the players bodies / faces ripple on the big hits etc.........Look how popular WW whatever fake Wrestling is..........showmanship baby, Sheeple lap it up (sad isnt it) but it works.

RL would be a huge hit (pun intended) if shown in that hollywood showmanship way IMO

#51 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

I think theres more chance of the media promoting RU in such a way before they do it with league.

#52 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

Leeds have eaten Bramley and Hunslet and grown very well on it.

I suspect other SL clubs fancy a taste of their own Rugby League flesh.

But the total numbers watching in Leeds haven't changed significantly as demonstrated to you on another thread. Hunslet will be the next dodos in Leeds before long if they continue as they are... But as you seem to be the biggest proponent of contraction for RL on these boards that will no doubt make you happy..

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep, 17 February 2013 - 07:31 PM.

#53 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,999 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

You seem to be the biggest proponent of contraction for RL on these boards that will no doubt make you happy..

Go back to post #36 when I asked Deluded Pom not to attribute my observations, as my desires.

I asked him to do that because I knew someone would not like what I observed - that the power brokers in the game would try to contract the traditional game.

They tried to do it in 1996 (are you listening?)

They tried again by offering £1,000,000 to any pair of clubs that would merge c.2003

They are trying to do it again by making CC clubs "A" teams

I asked him not to interpret my observations as my hopes for the game because of people like you.

Now go away and find someone else to take out your frustrations on please.

For the record I do not run SL, I do not run the RFL, I do not give a flying fig what happens with RL, I will enjoy it whatever form it takes until either myself or the game ceases to exist.

But I will reserve the right to comment on what I feel is going on and why.

#54 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

Go back to post #36 when I asked Deluded Pom not to attribute my observations, as my desires.

I asked him to do that because I knew someone would not like what I observed - that the power brokers in the game would try to contract the traditional game.

They tried to do it in 1996 (are you listening?)

They tried again by offering £1,000,000 to any pair of clubs that would merge c.2003

They are trying to do it again by making CC clubs "A" teams

I asked him not to interpret my observations as my hopes for the game because of people like you.

Now go away and find someone else to take out your frustrations on please.

For the record I do not run SL, I do not run the RFL, I do not give a flying fig what happens with RL, I will enjoy it whatever form it takes until either myself or the game ceases to exist.

But I will reserve the right to comment on what I feel is going on and why.

i think you do!

#55 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,999 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:53 AM

i think you do!

Think what you want, just don't get abusive because this is what happens when fans get frustrated at how the game is going, then decide they want to have a go at fellow fans.

Everyone knows where the RFL are if they want to have a go. Ring your club and ask them what they are doing about what you don't like, go confront Hetherington he's always around at Headingley, stage a sit down in the middle of POR, LSV, Shay etc.

#56 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,661 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

You know what ? I wasn't worried about DR when it came in, I've seen the results of the clubs using it over the last three weeks (at a time when it's likely that there will be most DR players available) and I'm still not worried by it. <_<
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users