Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Institutional Racism in RL

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

Still watching the game at Warrington but well aware of the Met Police definition on this issue.

I am aware that for some years the French have felt hard done by.

Do they have a point ?

Please engage........

#2 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

French isn't a race, it's a nationality.
People called Romans they go the house

#3 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

No more so than any other club.

Cummins Out.

#4 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:26 PM

There's probably a serious academic issue to be revisited here, focusing on empirical evidence.

A forum isn't the place for it though.

#5 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

What they are seeing is not so much refs against them, as for the "big" teams, because Les Cats can compete these decisions make more difference.

Wigan, Saints, Leeds and now Wire get the 50/50 calls going their way, its simple as that.

#6 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:01 PM

Didn't think Catalans were that hard done by tbh. Too much indiscipline from them when they got a couple of tough calls.

#7 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,921 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:03 PM

Top teams take advantage of the rules (cheat) better than lower teams, that's why they are the top teams (of course it is only one of many reasons but is a large factor).

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#8 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:04 PM

What they are seeing is not so much refs against them, as for the "big" teams, because Les Cats can compete these decisions make more difference.

Wigan, Saints, Leeds and now Wire get the 50/50 calls going their way, its simple as that.

And that's the point of the thread in the context of a non UK side.

But Pottsy is correct . It's an academic issue for proper investigation...
Meanwhile tell that to the Sang et D'or fans in the bars of the south of France.........

#9 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:49 AM

Didn't think Catalans were that hard done by tbh. Too much indiscipline from them when they got a couple of tough calls.

I agree. I know I can be accused of bias - but I genuinely like Catalan - but they can be frustrating as hell.

#10 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

Is Catalan a race?

rldfsignature.jpg

#11 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

Cats didn't get the 50/50 calls lastnight but if you've been to Catalan like I have a few times you know its a total reversal when they are at home. I remember Kirk Yeaman getting penalized once for getting punched and carried off with concussion.

#12 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,833 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

Perhaps one of the more eloquent posters could pose the question to Radio 4's "More or Less" they did a recent piece on "Fergie Time" so do cover sports issues from time to time.

#13 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

Catalans let themselves down last night and only had themselves to blame. Too bothered about niggling a the time, Elima just got himself wound up and lost focus, sane as Webb. I think they should have a look at themselves before complaining about any bias.

They actually have potential tho. Despite spending 80 mins moaning and trying to fight, then being down to 12 for 20 mins, making some basic errors, and being outplayed for large parts of game they only lost by a couple of tries. Imagine what they could if they really applied themselves!
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#14 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 637 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

Is Catalan a race?

No, but they are Catalan in only name. They are no more more Catalan then Perpignan football and rugby union clubs.

#15 Philius T Wilderbeest

Philius T Wilderbeest
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

Webb is a disastrous signing for them. The biggest liability in the game, despite the occasional flashes of brilliance he's capable of showing.

#16 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

Ignoring the 'racial' element of this thread for a moment, there is some basis to the idea that Catalans and London get unfairly treated by match officials. Phil Clarke did a piece on this a couple of years back and the difference between the number of decisions those two clubs get and the rest of the SL clubs was stark. Also, London took this issue to the RFL at around the same time and the response from Stuart Cummings was interesting. Shown the evidence that had been collected over a period of years, not just one game mind, he admitted there was a problem and then shrugged his shoulders and said he wouldn't be looking at it again.

Both expansion clubs get a raw deal in this regard. It's been well documented.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#17 Quinskolar

Quinskolar
  • Coach
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

If you look at the penalty stats for Catalans, Broncos and Skolars they do get more penalised when playing away. Why this is is open to debate. My view is that subjectively the refs do not like the long distances travelled to these teams and unconsciously penalise these teams. Also the home 'M62' teams have large crowds who influence officials and no away following.

#18 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

Racism is the discrimination of a person or persons who are different from the perpetrator. Therefore French is a race, and any kind of bias or discrimination against them could be construed as RACISM
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#19 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,681 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

If you look at the penalty stats for Catalans, Broncos and Skolars they do get more penalised when playing away. Why this is is open to debate. My view is that subjectively the refs do not like the long distances travelled to these teams and unconsciously penalise these teams. Also the home 'M62' teams have large crowds who influence officials and no away following.

Well, don't let's stop there. The Cumbrian clubs have had this for years longer than any of those clubs!!!!!

Catalans lost the plot a bit last night and I'm sure when they review the match they will see this. Mind you Ben Westwood is no angel either!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#20 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,986 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

i think last night had more to do with catalans being a disgrace than racism, the discipline was appalling and elima and webb should have been red carded for their constant niggling and foul play.

as for catalonia it is a region spanning the border between france and spain with barcelona as it's capital, much the same as the basques........
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users