Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Institutional Racism in RL

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 796 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

Looking at the French forum on here, it does seem that that there is a difference in outlook between French and British approaches to the game. The French forum tends to focus on a much narrower range of topics, with less creativity in their titles and a more deferential approach when one of the game's leaders give a statement. As soon as the RFL make an announcement to the English speaking world, there is a default assumption by some posting on here that the idea will automatically have no merit and is designed to disadvantage their club in some way.

I do think there is something in the national psyche of both nationalities that does mean there is mistrust of the other. The French revel in paranoia over Anglo-Saxon conspiracies, the English take a sly delight in French misfortune. At London 2012 I was watching the fencing, and sat behind a group of noisy French supporters, it therefore appeared natural to cheer whenever the Americans registered a hit. As most of the Superleague refs are English speaking, it is quite likely they will subconsciously bring this attitude into the game. Coupled with the pressure brought by the home crowd, it is possible that this does have an influence on decision making. However if a side plays the game in a way that makes the referee's life more difficult, then they should not be surprised when the decisions start to go against them.
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#22 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

cant see a race problem as the ref penalised the australian players in the team as well not just the french players
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#23 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

Don't limit it to those already mentioned, Leyth have been slaughtered in big games all my life - never has a 50/50 gone our way and imo that will be the case as long as Cummins is involved. He hates us and encourages those refs wanting to progress to hate us too - that must be racist in todays society especially with Leyth being far more important than London, French and Cumbria combined.

#24 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

leeds never get the rub of the green from robert hicks or tim roby because of course in leeds we area different race to them .

time for the tin hat i fear <_<
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#25 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

Don't limit it to those already mentioned, Leyth have been slaughtered in big games all my life - never has a 50/50 gone our way and imo that will be the case as long as Cummins is involved. He hates us and encourages those refs wanting to progress to hate us too - that must be racist in todays society especially with Leyth being far more important than London, French and Cumbria combined.

Leyth=Leigh?

Not heard them called that before.

#26 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,952 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

Racism is the discrimination of a person or persons who are different from the perpetrator. Therefore French is a race, and any kind of bias or discrimination against them could be construed as RACISM

Err... No it isn't. You've defined racism using the definition of discrimination. Racism is one kind of discrimination, not all kinds. By your definition, calling Gareth Thomas a homo would be racism (when clearly it isn't).

Racism tends to cover race, ethnicity, descent, nationality and colour. There is no agreed definition however, since the subject of what constitutes a race is still open.
Posted Image

#27 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,952 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

I'm hoping to God that this is tongue in cheek!
Posted Image

#28 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

Maybe he has his tongue in his craiq.

#29 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,134 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:51 PM

Maybe he has his tongue in his craiq.

*giggles* :D

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#30 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

. The biggest liability in the game, despite the occasional flashes of brilliance he's capable of showing.

Reminds me of some one else First name R second name C

Edited by shun, 16 February 2013 - 09:37 PM.

#31 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:42 PM

Reminds me of some one else First name R second name C

go on give us a clue rubbish at crosswords

Edited by westhuller, 16 February 2013 - 11:00 PM.

#32 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 796 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:22 PM

Remi Casty?
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#33 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,134 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:47 AM

Roman Catholic?

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#34 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

What was the give away?

#35 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

The OP has set up this thread really badly with his reference to 'institutionalised racism' when really he was asking whether Dragons get a fair crack of the whip from refs.

There is lots of historical research about actual institutional racism in sport, including the practise of 'stacking' in junior teams, and it'd be interesting to see a proper study into this in rugby league in 2013 to see whether our talent development systems are working efficiently.

#36 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,023 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

Cats didn't get the 50/50 calls lastnight but if you've been to Catalan like I have a few times you know its a total reversal when they are at home. I remember Kirk Yeaman getting penalized once for getting punched and carried off with concussion.

I'm tempted to suggest your memory might be letting you down there mate.

I recall a controversial incident when a brawl broke out and after it had quietened down, Yeaman and a Cats player were sin binned in spite of Yeaman being around 40 yards away during the entire scrap.

If you're referring to another game, I offer my apologies.

RyanBailey_2640424.jpg

"Nobody told me there were two teams called Rovers, I thought I'd signed for Fev..."

#37 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

I'm tempted to suggest your memory might be letting you down there mate.

I recall a controversial incident when a brawl broke out and after it had quietened down, Yeaman and a Cats player were sin binned in spite of Yeaman being around 40 yards away during the entire scrap.

If you're referring to another game, I offer my apologies.

You might be right I had been on that cheap french wine for two days before the game hic !

#38 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:18 PM

The OP has set up this thread really badly with his reference to 'institutionalised racism' when really he was asking whether Dragons get a fair crack of the whip from refs.

There is lots of historical research about actual institutional racism in sport, including the practise of 'stacking' in junior teams, and it'd be interesting to see a proper study into this in rugby league in 2013 to see whether our talent development systems are working efficiently.

Maybe the headline was a touch OTT Pottsy., but it has encouraged forum interest

I started the thread at half time and was just trying to work out how the 50 / 50 calls were going , to me , a neutral , seemingly one way. I didn't know that Phil Clarke had raised it previously....

That said google the definition according to McPherson . The bias can be unwitting , not deliberate at all but born out of our own northern almost tribal roots , battered for a century by outsiders......

If I were a Masters or even Doctors researcher there is a serious piece of work to be done for the benefit of the whole game. That would make a surely supported dissertation.

How could the RFL not support it .? We lead in so many areas and are again promoted as one of the best run games nationally . We have led in overt racism, Respect , Ethnicity and Diversity .

Time to lance this boil ( if it is one ) as well ?

#39 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

I don't think any suggested bias against Catalans or London for that matter is racially motivated in any way shape or form and, as has been pointed out, strictly speaking French isn't a race anyway.

If you're really interested in finding out about institutionalised racism in sport, I'd suggest 'stacking' would be a more worthwhile focus for research as I'd be genuinely interested to see whether rugby league (particularly at junior/grassroots level) has made any real progress in this regard.

#40 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,799 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:53 AM

And what is 'stacking'?

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users