Barrow & Lake District Merit League

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

With the game pretty much switching to summer now would this be a good opportunity for a merit league to be set up for the Barrow & District.

Kendal
Windermere/Ambleside
Flookburgh/Grange
Heysham 'A'
Marsh Hornets

Its more a series of mutually agreed friendlies, however if a couple of the teams gains a bit of momentum then they could play against some of the Barrow teams or maybe even join the B&D league.
Barrow Raiders are wanting to widen there scope of people coming to games so it could be done in conjunction with them and the RFL.

Just a thought.
waddell

#2 robmac

robmac
  • Coach
  • 513 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

i would love to set up marsh hornets open age again but i do not think there is enough players around for the teams that currently running

#3 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

good idea, wish it would work, but people in kendal/grange/windermere dont even know what rl is. even though it is only 30mins away from them.

its all RU for them, and soccer.

if an rl club from any of these towns stated above was formed, that for me would be the biggest thing since sliced bread(i mean iPhone's :D)

#4 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

Absolutely, Joe. Given that the game is now supposedly a summer sport, time is ripe to offer such clubs the opportunity to play in summer in some form of informal competition. It even goes so far as an opportunity for Furness, Hawcoat Park and Millom RUFC, as well as the clubs on the other side of the Bay like Carnforth, Vale, Kirkby Lonsdale etc.

Kendal and Vale (at least five-ten years ago at committee level) are particularly conservative in the attitude to rugby league, but the "smaller" clubs have several rugby league fans amongst them. There is certainly awareness of rugby league as a spectator sport amongst these teams. Maybe start things off with a Lakeland 9s or something similar.
disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#5 UnionMan

UnionMan
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

Furness and Hawcoat Park provided a lot of Players to Roose and Barrow Island last year so in a way they are already involved. Don'ty know if those lads will all play next season after 12 months continuous rrugby you do need a break

#6 bangbang

bangbang
  • Coach
  • 528 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

Didnt you do this a few years back Joe with the Barrow Vikings based a Furness RU

No teams turned up but was a good pish up on away games
Rip the bludgers heads off!

#7 Gregga

Gregga
  • Coach
  • 102 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

I heard last night that there is a worry their won't be all 8 team represented in the Barrow & District this season!!
Anybody else heard this?
Ulverston A.R.L.F.C

#8 HP Beans

HP Beans
  • Coach
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

Which teams are struggling that you know of?

#9 Cents

Cents
  • Coach
  • 332 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

I heard last night that there is a worry their won't be all 8 team represented in the Barrow & District this season!!
Anybody else heard this?

Gregga I've heard this rumour as well, the teams that have been mentioned to me are Hindpool, Roose Pioneers and Millom, I find it hard to believe Millom will struggle.

This goes back to the suggestion from us at Walney to try and play some of the A teams game mid week, which was as follows
Allows first team fringe/substitute players to play a full 80 mins.

• Gives players the opportunity to watch the first game on a Saturday and the first team players to watch the A team.

• Free's up the weekend for other things i.e. family commitments, camping, days out, concerts, working

• Doesn't put first team coaches in a predicament for selection purposes i.e. taking 17 players for the first team and leaving the A team short.

• Should reduce the number of cancelled fixtures as clubs will have the ability to put first players in to make up the numbers if the A team are short.

• Allows first team coaches to watch the A team games.

• Allows supporters to watch 2 games for there club each week rather than having to choose between an A team or first team game on a Saturday.

We believe that it will improve the playing standard and enable the league to become more competitive by playing midweek.

Some potential negatives of playing midweek are:

• Some of the young players may be at night school.

• May clash with other sports such as cricket.

• Lad's working the half turns.

Whether games are played on a Saturday or midweek it is not going to be perfect for everyone.

#10 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

Gregga I've heard this rumour as well, the teams that have been mentioned to me are Hindpool, Roose Pioneers and Millom, I find it hard to believe Millom will struggle.

This goes back to the suggestion from us at Walney to try and play some of the A teams game mid week, which was as follows
Allows first team fringe/substitute players to play a full 80 mins.

• Gives players the opportunity to watch the first game on a Saturday and the first team players to watch the A team.
  • Free's up the weekend for other things i.e. family commitments, camping, days out, concerts, working
  • Doesn't put first team coaches in a predicament for selection purposes i.e. taking 17 players for the first team and leaving the A team short.
  • Should reduce the number of cancelled fixtures as clubs will have the ability to put first players in to make up the numbers if the A team are short.
  • Allows first team coaches to watch the A team games.
  • Allows supporters to watch 2 games for there club each week rather than having to choose between an A team or first team game on a Saturday.
We believe that it will improve the playing standard and enable the league to become more competitive by playing midweek.

Some potential negatives of playing midweek are:
  • Some of the young players may be at night school.
  • May clash with other sports such as cricket.
  • Lad's working the half turns.
Whether games are played on a Saturday or midweek it is not going to be perfect for everyone.

Ouch my eyes.......

i to find it hard to believe that millom would struggle to put a team in the B&D. maybe millom A are withdrawing there team from the B&D and entering them into the cumbria league? (crazy i know but maybe), that for me would make the millom team as a whole allot more competitive.

could millom run a team in 2 leagues?? cumbria league and ncl1?

as for the mid week games i dont think it will happen, this is amateur rl, even the pros dont like playing midweek.

Edited by shun, 22 February 2013 - 10:59 PM.

#11 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

I was just hoping to see a bit more strength in the Barrow & District League, i'v got a feeling this summer will see the strongest League for a while, i wouldn't worry too much about the rumours when the the weather warms up a little and the numbers in training start to creep up, which is the opposite of what happens in the winter.
It would be nice to see a vibrant Cumbria League this year which may push a few more of the Furness Teams to join it next season. I'm still bewildered as to the logic of the teams that have decided to stick with the North West Mens League. All the clubs could have had a mini resurgence this year under a very local division. The benefits far outweigh the negatives.
Fingers crossed for next season, as it could see a more unified approach as well to representative rugby for the players that want it.
waddell

#12 gary high

gary high
  • Coach
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

Ulverston have 50+ players signed on for the forthcoming season and as such are expecting a very competetive squad. A huge rejuvenation and loads of hard work have gone on behind the scenes and at training by everyone involved. We played an A team friendly against Dalton yesterday and had a load to pick from. Also a credit to Dalton in that they managed to comfortably field 2 teams for 2 fixtures.

The Prem & Div 1 of the NWML looks very strong and should be a success this year. As for the other divisions there will more likely be a load of 24 - 0. I cannot understand why Hindpool & Bamber Bridge aren't in DIvision 1.....Reward for the fullfilment of fixtures.

Edited by gary high, 24 February 2013 - 11:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users