Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Well done Paul Anderson!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 918 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

So far a great start to his coaching career, in general british coaches are doing well so far this season, is this the turning point which will see more british coaches coming through?

#2 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

Huddersfield always do well at the start of the season. If he's still getting this out of the team in August then I may well be convinced but until then I remain skeptical of Huddersfield's ability to see a season through.

As for the British coaches well one of them lost today in Shaun Wane so I'm not sure what you're getting at?

#3 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,079 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

Huddersfield always do well at the start of the season. If he's still getting this out of the team in August then I may well be convinced but until then I remain skeptical of Huddersfield's ability to see a season through.

As for the British coaches well one of them lost today in Shaun Wane so I'm not sure what you're getting at?

Given that the game had two British coaches ,in all probability one was bound to lose.
One team coached by a British coach won last night and two teams today.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 16 February 2013 - 07:48 PM.

Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#4 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 692 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

Given that the game had two British coaches ,in all probability one was bound to lose.
One team coached by a British coach won last night and two teams today.

Tony Smith is now the proud possessor of a British passport, so I make that two winners last night.
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#5 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 595 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:54 PM

Forget history this now,the giants blew saints of the park,have just beaten a very good wigan side,also they dont have Brown disrupting things, I hope that PA becomes a true Giant as a coach as he was as a player,

#6 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:44 AM

Saintslass, the reasons for the Giants annual collapse are many fold but by far and away the biggest cause is at your club now

Just imagine how bad it's going to get when Saints lose their early season form ;)

As for the Giants under Anderson there seems to be something more about them, I couldn't tell you what but they just seem tougher than previous years, like today - we'd have lost this game last season, and allowed Wigan to score in the last few minutes, probably multiple times

This time we weathered 11 sets on our own line

#7 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

Saintslass, the reasons for the Giants annual collapse are many fold but by far and away the biggest cause is at your club now

If you don't mind, I will wait and see on that one! Each year people make a similar comment about Hudds and each year they fade away (or collapse, as in last year).

#8 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,559 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

As for the Giants under Anderson there seems to be something more about them, I couldn't tell you what but they just seem tougher than previous years, like today - we'd have lost this game last season, and allowed Wigan to score in the last few minutes, probably multiple times

I await the "sack Anderson" threads come the end of the year!

Remember, Rob Powell and Richard Agar had good starts to the season once upon a time!
Posted Image

#9 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

Difference is they were coaching poop players at poop clubs ;)

#10 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

Don't under estimate the impact of KP at Hudds.

#11 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

Don't under estimate the impact of KP at Hudds.

You'd be nuts to do anything else

Edited by Amber Avenger, 17 February 2013 - 11:45 AM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#12 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,530 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

Just imagine how bad it's going to get when Saints lose their early season form ;)

I mentioned this during the week to my better half. Anderson seems to have brought in the ethos from his Bulls days in that the front row is heavily loaded. I commented during the Bradford game last night too of who are the goto players when you need some big go forward.

If you had to pick a player to run the first drive in after a brawl would be want to give it to any of the current Bulls pack. I wouldnt be convinced, Leeds had mcDermott, Bradford had the big 4 of Fielden/Mcdermott/Anderson and Vagana etc.

#13 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,613 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

I seem to remember Ant saying there was 'something different about the Giants this year', early in the season last year.

I hope there is, they seem to play a less dirty brand of rugby these days and at their free-flowing best are quite entertaining.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#14 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

I seem to remember Ant saying there was 'something different about the Giants this year', early in the season last year.

I hope there is, they seem to play a less dirty brand of rugby these days and at their free-flowing best are quite entertaining.

Did I? I remember being surprised at how well we were doing give our total lack of props

As for dirty rugby, those were the Tony Smith days, something he took to Leeds and now Wire ;)

#15 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

I'm pretty sure that Brian McDermot, when he was at London, bemoaned the fact that British coaches never seemed to get a chance at the top clubs and felt that given that chance they could equal the success of Aussie coaches, as everyone can see, when he was given his chance he proved his point.

Whilst it's very early days for Anderson and realistically I can't see him matching McDermot, I'd love to see him be successful and help prove the point. As a superleague neutral who goes to all the big games in recent years I have found myself supporting any team that has a British Coach.

Though there are exceptions, such as Maguire, generally the top Aussie coaches stay in Australia and we get the second rate ones who are no better than the British ones, if they are even that good.
100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#16 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

Paul is doing ok until his team meet the Mighty Trin next week.........Ok everyone I'm only joking... ;) :)
Posted Image

#17 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,079 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

Tony Smith is now the proud possessor of a British passport, so I make that two winners last night.

Yes I know,he's about as British as Rangi!
Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#18 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

As for dirty rugby, those were the Tony Smith days, something he took to Leeds and now Wire ;)

he shoots...he scores :lol:

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#19 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,433 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

Did I? I remember being surprised at how well we were doing give our total lack of props

Yes and a valid point..... But cups and titles mean more!!

Crowds are also up, no cheap tickets to get the fans in, just passion and pride makes us come alive

#20 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

Yeah, gotta love those glory hunters :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users