Team v Doncaster

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#61 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,869 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

The balance of the team is all wrong, having a hooker and a half back on the bench isnt any good. If Stack went off we would have had no attacking threat as we attack that side all the time and only use Brett Phillips as a battering ram, the half backs may not be good enough but we dont have enough attacking options that we use

Spot on gilly, as I was saying we haven't got a plan B or C.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#62 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

the next 2 home games are huge now. sheffield are beatable especially at derwent park and barrow has to be nothing less than a win and to stop them getting a bp. lets just hope this a bad day at the office and the boys bounce back in style.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#63 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,947 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

FT Donny 26 Town 4

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#64 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

Something's gonna have to change to have any chance of knocking the champions over ...huge ask .

#65 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,947 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

sheffield are beatable especially at derwent park

Sheffield have put 52 past Swinton today away from home

#66 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

not one bonus point for the loosing teams this week.

#67 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

Wonder how many spare halves Widnes have ... I'll take two if they've got them . We've done the look at our players routine .

halves is certainly a problem. i always thought before the season started this was an area that town had to strengthen to compete in this tough league and I.M.O we aren't strong enough at 6&7 at the moment.

#68 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

Sheffield have put 52 past Swinton today away from home

ive just seen that. they were getting beat at half time as well. we might struggle then lol

#69 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

well a bad day at the office for Town,creativity seems to be the buzz word at the minute,but i am sure the lads can redeem tnemselves.
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#70 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,947 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

The thing is we all said last season we were lacking in the halves even at that level. Its ok having a big pack to take us forward but we have nobody behind them with the flair, speed and spark to turn it into points. Recruiting a quality half back should have been our top priority in the winter but for some reason we didn't and ended up signing Coyle quite late as a bit of a panic signing IMO.

#71 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

4pts and the champions next ... We all knew this was a whole new ball game , and we needed the creativity and zip to match , but unfortunately we haven't got it , and your not gonna roll these mobs over with plan A muscle and grunt . It's great telling us we have 5 good props , but all the other teams have them to . Forads will cancel each other out - its the guile and creation that decides the games . We hear lots about our fine pack , but to me we've neglected the point scoring and creating half of the team and its to often haunting us . Neither Forber or Coyle are gonna cut it , and if Luptons shut down were do we go ? Every team knows it . We don't have enough avenues of attack , only obvious threats for teams to nullify . Widnes may be a poor SL team but I'd get their help in that area if possible , it'll at least improve us.

Edited by DavidM, 17 February 2013 - 05:02 PM.

#72 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

The thing is we all said last season we were lacking in the halves even at that level. Its ok having a big pack to take us forward but we have nobody behind them with the flair, speed and spark to turn it into points. Recruiting a quality half back should have been our top priority in the winter but for some reason we didn't and ended up signing Coyle quite late as a bit of a panic signing IMO.

i agree with you 100% derwent. you need a little genral behind a big pack. it should have been a priority in the winter.

#73 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

In addition to the half back issue we have found ourselves short in other areas though. We have had one injury and have to use John Patrick on the wing. John is an excellant centre but an out and out winger with blistering speed will expose him on the wing but we have nobody else. Surely the point of the DR is to fill gaps in the squad in key areas because we cant go wide with speed that makes us much easier to defend against
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#74 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,947 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

In addition to the half back issue we have found ourselves short in other areas though. We have had one injury and have to use John Patrick on the wing. John is an excellant centre but an out and out winger with blistering speed will expose him on the wing but we have nobody else. Surely the point of the DR is to fill gaps in the squad in key areas because we cant go wide with speed that makes us much easier to defend against

I agree but a good scrum half who attacks the defensive line and sucks players in can create space and overlaps which can mitigate the lack of pace out wide. Our halves are too static and even when they do move it tends to be lateral which is easy to defend against if you move up and close the space down.

#75 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

If you ask me we need to sign a decent attacking and goal kicking half back to play along side Carl Forber

#76 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

I agree but a good scrum half who attacks the defensive line and sucks players in can create space and overlaps which can mitigate the lack of pace out wide. Our halves are too static and even when they do move it tends to be lateral which is easy to defend against if you move up and close the space down.

Thats exactly what Town need at half back but if teams know they can cover across in defence then there wont be as much space for the halves to work in. Either way the coaches need to pick a 7 and stick with them to get some continuity as there usually confidence players
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#77 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,869 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

I have a funny feeling that we will be saying similar things throughout the season. We got away with it at half=back last year but already in 3 games it is showing where our weakness is this year. What can we do about it, that is the question?

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#78 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

Well I say sign a good little half back that takes on the lines creates tries to play 7 and Forber 6

#79 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,869 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

Just realised that Donny today had 4 dual registered players from Wakefield and 1 loan player from Castleford. Other clubs are using dual reg and loanees in prominent positions so can we get Gilmore and Mellor next week from Widnes???

#80 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

Oh dear, reality check, time to rein in the optimism a bit. Town looked the better team for most of the first half but just couldn't take their chances whereas Donny did and grew in confidence. Start of the second half Town started well but just couldn't get over the line final passes just not sticking. Lupton didn't appear second half so probably injured and we just looked devoid of ideas. Dore looked OK and Forber shipped the ball on but that was about it. Jamie Acton had a strong game as did Patrick. Carter dangerous and so close to scoring on 2 occassions but not always comfortable under the high ball. Again not outclassed but not quite good enough.
BP next sunday I suppose is the hope.

Edited by Oneday, 17 February 2013 - 06:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users