Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Team v Doncaster

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#81 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

That's what I'm saying Keith , just got to swallow and go for it now with the tide flowing the way it is . Principles are great but you've gotta help yourself.

#82 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

it looks as though barrow and swinton are going to struggle, especially at the start of the season. i just hope we can pick some points up and put daylight between us and them before they hit there better form.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#83 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

Let's hope it was just a bad day at thr office. I had bad vibes about this one, they won the championship last year and have strengthened their squad, it was always gonna be tough.
Charlo summed it up when he said we have no problems getting from A to B, we just can't get to C !!!!
I suppose it's his and Oggys job to teach them how to get to C !!!
Losing Lupton so early didn't help, with him off we have no creativity in the side, we've being crying out for an halfback to take on the line for a few seasons now, we can't keep relying on Matty to take us forward. Unfortunately it doesn't look like Coyle is the man to do it, but it's early days yet, and he might improve.

We knew it was gonna be tough and it's last years champions up next, let's get down to DP and get behind them.

I hope the injuries to Stack and Lupton aren't serious, we need them .

Chins up boys, and keep the faith. :)

#84 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 681 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

New coach needed in my eyes maybe i am over reacting to this defeat.. Dont get me wrong I think Charlo and Oggy have done an awesome job getting us to were we are but we have no plan B and im not sure they can deliver that.. I hope they can!
i think we need a more experienced coach for this league.
Up the Town!!

Edited by Cato89, 17 February 2013 - 06:44 PM.

#85 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

I get surprised at quotes like ' we haven't done much ball work ' .... Why not , we've been training since November ??

#86 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 681 posts

Double post

Edited by Cato89, 17 February 2013 - 06:42 PM.

#87 LeeF

LeeF
  • Coach
  • 820 posts

it looks as though barrow and swinton are going to struggle, especially at the start of the season. i just hope we can pick some points up and put daylight between us and them before they hit there better form.

And these are 2 sides at the opposite end of the Partnership/ DR spectrum so doesn't really support one way or the other ?

#88 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

That's the great unspoken Cato , and it's something people are allowed to muse over . That's fair enough debate.

#89 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

New coach needed in my eyes maybe i am over reacting to this defeat.. Dont get me wrong I think Charlo and Oggy have done an awesome job getting us to were we are but we have no plan B and im not sure they can deliver that.. I hope they can!
i think we need a more experienced coach for this league.
Up the Town!!

Bit of a knee jerk reaction there I think Cato, we don't want to sound like our dear neighbours do we. A dissapointing result, but let's not call for peoples heads just yet. ;)

#90 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

Come on lads get things in perspective. It was disappointing not to get a BP but hardly time to hang the coaches. Remember it will be learning curve at this level for them too. If you remember we tried to sign Dallimore in the close season but he chose to stick with Oldham, these quick line breaking halves that can kick aren't exactly growing on trees!
I wasn't there today but from the radio it just sounded they were a bit smarter on our goal line. I think we are in for a long season if we start calling for player and coach culls after every game we don't perform to some high expectations.
If Lupton is out it may give us chance to use our link up to our advantage again.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#91 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

Oh yes fair debate but everyone deserves time in a very long season . It's still early days . But we need some reaction on the pitch , so lets take a breath and see what happens . These guys have earned the right to try and get things clicking offensively .

Edited by DavidM, 17 February 2013 - 07:02 PM.

#92 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 681 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

When i posted it i thought i sounded like a jam fan.
:/ but even last year we seemed to be found out too easy sometimes.Maybe it is a bit of a quick reaction but i feel we need just that little bit extra when we struggle to break down the opposition. Its asif we are easy to defend against.

I dont want to sound a dickhead,its just the way i feel.

#93 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

It's ok it ain't north korea

#94 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,915 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

Calm down, calm down, it is not the end of the world losing at Donny although no doubt the manner of defeat is hard to take.

If you look around the teams that have dual reg players they are using either all the allocation they are allowed or they are using older players despite protestations from other clubs about becoming reserve teams for SL.

Up to now we have only used young lads to cover for certain positions due to injuries but we have been crying out for half-backs for two seasons now and I cannot see any reason why we can't ask Widnes to help us out in those positions. They have some good young half-backs at Widnes who are not getting game time, so why not.

I'm sure widnesrlfc who posts on here will agree that young Gilmore and mellor could do with a bit more game time. The old saying is "if you don't ask, you won't get".

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#95 onandon

onandon
  • Players
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

2 tries in 3 visits to keepmoat, thats wat you call good defence :rolleyes:

#96 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:30 PM

Calm down, calm down, it is not the end of the world losing at Donny although no doubt the manner of defeat is hard to take.

If you look around the teams that have dual reg players they are using either all the allocation they are allowed or they are using older players despite protestations from other clubs about becoming reserve teams for SL.

Up to now we have only used young lads to cover for certain positions due to injuries but we have been crying out for half-backs for two seasons now and I cannot see any reason why we can't ask Widnes to help us out in those positions. They have some good young half-backs at Widnes who are not getting game time, so why not.

I'm sure widnesrlfc who posts on here will agree that young Gilmore and mellor could do with a bit more game time. The old saying is "if you don't ask, you won't get".

Gilly is playing regular in the 19's competition and Mellor has started all three SL games. After that Widnes are also short in the halves. Goulding(who is 19) was given all the time in the world on the left edge today and destroyed you. Cooke played at a stroll and it was all on the back of their forwards running harder and faster with the ball and there linespeed was much much quicker.Howevver we did create 4 or 5 overlaps with 4 & 5 on 2 on many occasions and on th eone time we got the ball out qucik to the left we strolled in

#97 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

Gilly is playing regular in the 19's competition and Mellor has started all three SL games. After that Widnes are also short in the halves. Goulding(who is 19) was given all the time in the world on the left edge today and destroyed you. Cooke played at a stroll and it was all on the back of their forwards running harder and faster with the ball and there linespeed was much much quicker.Howevver we did create 4 or 5 overlaps with 4 & 5 on 2 on many occasions and on th eone time we got the ball out qucik to the left we strolled in

Is that a lack of personnel who can see that overlap and execute the quick ball or not coached to do it in your opinion mate?

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#98 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 681 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

maybe when Mattinson is back Phillips goes 7 Forber 6 and Lupton 13 we may open up sides a bit easier?

#99 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

Maybe we could radically shift it now and go Gore and Phillips with Olstrum at 9 and Lupton at 13 . May be a bit livelier ? Can't do any worse if we can't get a Widnes lad . We need 3 ball players and not just one .

Edited by DavidM, 17 February 2013 - 07:47 PM.

#100 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

maybe when Mattinson is back Phillips goes 7 Forber 6 and Lupton 13 we may open up sides a bit easier?

That wouldn't be a bad idea I think we are missing Matty a bit down the middle and Forber in his first spell at town was class when he had a good partner in Liam Campbell (who I would welcome back with open arms) do maybe trying that with a young fast hb along side him might help cause I think Carl is more of a 6 then 7