Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Team v Doncaster

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#121 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 792 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

There is lots of talk on here about our half backs but i think at this time it is in the centre where we are weak. I just think morris has not got the pace for a centre.we are sadly missing rooney and mossop and miller and of course matty. But has i have said i think its in the centre we lack strength and pace????

#122 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

There is lots of talk on here about our half backs but i think at this time it is in the centre where we are weak. I just think morris has not got the pace for a centre.we are sadly missing rooney and mossop and miller and of course matty. But has i have said i think its in the centre we lack strength and pace????

need to able to get the ball out to them first mate - the quickest and strongest centre is useless without the ball

#123 rugbyman

rugbyman
  • Players
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:27 AM

Did you notice them playing a lad called "murphy" who came on in the second half. I maybe wrong but i think this was the same lad which played last night for the bulls v Cas. Im sure theres some rule about playing two pro games in a certain time frame??

We did not have a lad playing for us called Murphy, the lads on the bench were Trout, Emmett, Edwards and Robinson

#124 rugbyman

rugbyman
  • Players
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:28 AM

Thacks keeps getting took off and does keep getting peed off and I for one can't blame him as he's our most likely lad ... Yes anything else shouldn't occur though .

Thacks is a very good player but he is a penalty liability. Thought it was rather sad that he couldnt come across and applaud the fans at the end of the game who had made the long journey. Good luck for the rest of the season apart from when you play us.

Edited by rugbyman, 18 February 2013 - 12:33 AM.

#125 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:45 AM

We did not have a lad playing for us called Murphy, the lads on the bench were Trout, Emmett, Edwards and Robinson

Yeah was put right before it was Kyle Trout lokes very much like murphy - thanks anyway and well played today

#126 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:43 AM

Calm down, calm down, it is not the end of the world losing at Donny although no doubt the manner of defeat is hard to take.

If you look around the teams that have dual reg players they are using either all the allocation they are allowed or they are using older players despite protestations from other clubs about becoming reserve teams for SL.

Up to now we have only used young lads to cover for certain positions due to injuries but we have been crying out for half-backs for two seasons now and I cannot see any reason why we can't ask Widnes to help us out in those positions. They have some good young half-backs at Widnes who are not getting game time, so why not.

I'm sure widnesrlfc who posts on here will agree that young Gilmore and mellor could do with a bit more game time. The old saying is "if you don't ask, you won't get".

Mate we have Kev Brown and Danny Craven out injured who are good halfbacks.Hanbury and Mellor are the halfbacks the last few games.Young Gilmore has been playing u19s and is a real talent.How has Gore been playing as he maybe ok at halfback.

#127 homeandawayer

homeandawayer
  • Coach
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:03 AM

Well I say sign a good little half back that takes on the lines creates tries to play 7 and Forber 6

sounds like C Phillips to me.

#128 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:06 AM

Morris might lack a bit of pace but certainly doesn't lack for strength and what he is good at is holding off the tackle and slipping the ball to the winger as he did yesterday. Calders made good ground and the final inside potentially scoring pass missed the 4 supporting Town players to fall into the hands of their other covering winger. Good defence maybe but should have been a score, another day and it would have been. Someone earlier talked about Carter always trying to beat the defence; second half he went right through the amazing Donny defence to their 20 and on being tackled got the ball away to the supporting Stacky who once in his life knocks on with the line begging, should have been a score and another day would have been. It wasn't to be yesterday but I haven't lost the faith, we're not far off the running.

Edited by Oneday, 18 February 2013 - 09:07 AM.

#129 robt

robt
  • Coach
  • 716 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

stack was holding his shoulder after the first five minutes and I think Lupton went off with a hand injury . Also not sure if hes injured or just peed off but Thacks left after getting subbed with 20mins left ??

Strange, cos he was going backwards over the line with 10 minutes left, unless it was a stunt double??

Posted Image

Rob Terrace - Matchday Photographer / Highlights 'editor', Doncaster RLFC.

#130 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 792 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

That is right oneday morris as got strength but we do need pace in our back line with no miller. Maybe we should try to get a fullback and put Carter at stand of?.

#131 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

Morris might lack a bit of pace but certainly doesn't lack for strength and what he is good at is holding off the tackle and slipping the ball to the winger as he did yesterday. Calders made good ground and the final inside potentially scoring pass missed the 4 supporting Town players to fall into the hands of their other covering winger. Good defence maybe but should have been a score, another day and it would have been. Someone earlier talked about Carter always trying to beat the defence; second half he went right through the amazing Donny defence to their 20 and on being tackled got the ball away to the supporting Stacky who once in his life knocks on with the line begging, should have been a score and another day would have been. It wasn't to be yesterday but I haven't lost the faith, we're not far off the running.

morris is a little too static when receiving the ball IMO. he's a big lad and would be difficult to stop bursting onto the ball

#132 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,167 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

i think big andy should probably be playing in the pack, possibly even as a loose forward. its not so much him standing static but were not getting the ball to him quick enough, and by the time we get it wide to the backs the whole attacking line is a bit flat
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#133 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 792 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

If you have been to the games so far this year it seems to me that it is brett or stacky going for the line when the ball is moved I just think our centres should be more attacking minded near the line.

#134 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,329 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

It's an old chestnut with us ,this thing of not getting the ball out sharp enough and letting us see what our backs can do . How often do we see them getting time n space of quick shifts ? Chicken and egg isn't it ... Backs can't flourish if halves don't provide quality .

Edited by DavidM, 18 February 2013 - 07:20 PM.

#135 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,681 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

Strange, cos he was going backwards over the line with 10 minutes left, unless it was a stunt double??

Posted Image

Robert, just to calm our friends from Whitehaven down can you confirm that this photo, taken by you, was 10 minutes from the end of the match and therefore Thackray couldn't have left the ground 20 minutes from the end of the match. They have a full thread about this matter on their forum!!!!

Oh, and clarify that you have no connection with Town.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#136 rugbyman

rugbyman
  • Players
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

Robert, just to calm our friends from Whitehaven down can you confirm that this photo, taken by you, was 10 minutes from the end of the match and therefore Thackray couldn't have left the ground 20 minutes from the end of the match. They have a full thread about this matter on their forum!!!!

Dont know what time in the game it was but Robt is the official photographer for the Dons

#137 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

They love us really Keith, thats why they are so interested. Our friend BKM/H4E has also stated that we will all change our minds about the dual reg when we get 5 Widnes DR this week. This is comes after he states on here about how wrong it all is for older players to be used, then states on the jam forum that he would love Gardner and the other guy back. Not even a hint of irony!!

Edited by The Voodooguru, 18 February 2013 - 08:37 PM.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#138 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 792 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

Looking at the JOHN WALSH report in the news@ star keith that try was scored on the 69th minute and he will be right.

#139 robt

robt
  • Coach
  • 716 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:19 PM

According to the timecode on the DVD, it was 69 minutes played.

More for you happy people...

Rob Terrace - Matchday Photographer / Highlights 'editor', Doncaster RLFC.

#140 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

Sorry guys if I was wrong about the timing and if its caused a storm on the jameaters forum. I thought Thacks must have been injured with going early obviously 20mins left was a exageration looking at the clock.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users