Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Huns 4 Dewsbury 14

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Penola

Penola
  • 604 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

Thought there was nothing between the teams.We just lacked creativity near their line. Happy with bonus point

#2 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

A case of what could have been, we conceded some poor tries first half on the back of our errors, then kicks, and everytime we had a chance to put points on the board we just didn't have the extra spark to cross or we coughed up possesion. We matched them up the middle all game, but we just didn't have enough shape and direction at half back to take the game by the scruff or the neck, Ansell was ok at best and Grimmer was really quiet and looked like he wasn't 100%, we improved second half, and looked the better team but couldn't turn pressure in to points apart from a great Grimmer try, all in all a chance wasted, Dewsbury were as poor as us but they took there chances we didn't so fair play! Bonus point and another point towards staying up which can only be a positve, Yates was MOM for me!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#3 pudsey hawk

pudsey hawk
  • Coach
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

Dewsbury were so dour and we huffed and pufféd with little talent or planned moves.yates was the pick for us but we drop ball more than our opposition.need a decent scrum half cos ours seem clueless

#4 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:30 PM

we need a scrum half badly but finding one is the problem, there is such a lack of talent out there.Once again our failure to defend kicks, cost us, quite what the full bk what was doing with that 2nd try i dont know.The number of times we battered their line from 5 yards out but were clueless getting over was ridiculous, we just dont seem to have any set plays to get over the try line bar a lucky kick on the 6th tackle, oh for a Chappy or a Robbo to set something up!
Posted Image

#5 MiBoy

MiBoy
  • Players
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

You need another half back...simple!!! The pack tried hard today but there is no direction from the halves and seems to be very little communication if any. Soft tries conceded and at times you played dumb rugby!!

#6 Castleford Hawk

Castleford Hawk
  • Coach
  • 126 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

Would have been happy with a bonus point before the game but thought it was there for the taking today. The positive is that Dewsbury aren't that far ahead of us. We just need to inject some urgency into our game, everything is a little too laboured at the moment.

Credit where it's due though, the lads stuck at it and we were the better team in the second half.

Hunslet: STILL the city's only club to win all competitions in one season.

#7 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 893 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

Well, coaches, players and seasons come and go but Hunslet-Dewsbury games seem frozen in time in the way they play out year in, year out. Low-scoring wars of attrition where we get outthought and outfought in just one or two situations, and end up losing by a score somewhere around the fringes of the bonus point.

I don't think we were really at the races in the first half, certainly seemed slow to respond to certain situations in both attack and defence, but to be fair we did turn it round at half-time and were probably deserved winners of the second half, though we never looked like turning round the 14 point half-time deficit, and the fact that the second half score was just 4-0 says everything about the strengths of both sides.

No real stand-outs today, though the battle of the number 8s, Yates vs. Lillycrop, was one of the more interesting matchups. Still don't know who's our best option at number 7 I'm afraid.

When the fixtures came out I suggested we needed 10 points out of 12 from the first four home games to keep away from trouble. So the next two homes against Doncaster and Whitehaven now have the look of very important fixtures indeed ...

#8 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

Would have been happy with a bonus point before the game but thought it was there for the taking today. The positive is that Dewsbury aren't that far ahead of us. We just need to inject some urgency into our game, everything is a little too laboured at the moment.

Credit where it's due though, the lads stuck at it and we were the better team in the second half.

Yes you were the better team in the second half as we were absolutely shocking!

#9 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 893 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

Yes you were the better team in the second half as we were absolutely shocking!

I wouldn't say you were shocking Eddie, it developed into a bit of a "grind" and your defensive organisation won you the match ...

#10 Hawkeye

Hawkeye
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

Sounds like Dewsbury think they need a number seven too, a position that there is a dearth of in abundance, so we either buy one (not an option), develop one, or bring in one from overseas, that's now not financially viable or with visa issues a very unlikely occurrence. So.........
Hawkeye
Posted Image

#11 pudsey hawk

pudsey hawk
  • Coach
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

Sounds like Dewsbury think they need a number seven too, a position that there is a dearth of in abundance, so we either buy one (not an option), develop one, or bring in one from overseas, that's now not financially viable or with visa issues a very unlikely occurrence. So.........

We dual reg Rob Burrows !!!!!!!!!!!!

#12 Hawkeye

Hawkeye
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:34 PM

That's for later Pete.
Hawkeye
Posted Image

#13 HunsletJosh6

HunsletJosh6
  • Coach
  • 688 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

How much would we need to club together to prize Mr Cooke away from the woodenspoonists Daz? ;)
Posted Image

#14 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

On yesterdays showing donny will be above you
and the only team below you will be barrow.

only thing i learnt from yesterdays match was

how poor barrow must be ;)

Edited by coolie, 18 February 2013 - 12:05 PM.

#15 Penola

Penola
  • 604 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

On yesterdays showing donny will be above you
and the only team below you will be barrow.

only thing i learnt from yesterdays match was

how poor barrow must be ;)

Maybe but on that showing Dewsbury will be in with a chance of relegation if that's the best they can produce against an alledgedly poor Hunslet side

Edited by Penola, 18 February 2013 - 12:19 PM.

#16 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

i thought both teams were relegation fodder tbh, the only difference was dewsbury nicked 2 tries off kicks we missed 2 by inches off kicks.Im afraid modern day RL is now down to who scores off kicks in most matches, we seem to have lost the art of offloading in the tackle and the great ball handling players are a thing of the past.Most games now at the SLS just seem to be a war of attrition and a flowing passing movement you can count on one hand in 90% of games.I thought Singleton went ok yesterday and looked a fair prospect but obviously no Richard Moore.
Posted Image

#17 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 893 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

Three games each is far too few to be going naming relegation certainties, but from what I've seen, what other fans have been saying, and the results so far, I have us ahead of Barrow, Swinton, York and possibly Keighley, and about the same level as Workington, Whitehaven and Doncaster.

Despite the Dewsbury lot's unhappiness at the grind-out yesterday, I reckon their coach will have been well pleased with their work in defence, which by itself puts them ahead of all of the above at the minute.

#18 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

We actually did the cardinal sin of RL yesterday after conceding a sloppy 1st try, kicking out on the full, therefore on the defensive in our own 25 4-0 becomes 10-0 a few mins later.It beggers belief sometimes what we do.However a bonus point could be vital come end of the season.
Posted Image

#19 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 437 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

It always seems to be the same old story against Dewsbury in recent years. Hunslet put on a dire performance and Dewsbury come out on top with majority of their tries coming from kicks. With this year being no different.

#20 blackhawk

blackhawk

boxer boy

• Coach
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

we need a scrum half badly but finding one is the problem, there is such a lack of talent out there.Once again our failure to defend kicks, cost us, quite what the full bk what was doing with that 2nd try i dont know.The number of times we battered their line from 5 yards out but were clueless getting over was ridiculous, we just dont seem to have any set plays to get over the try line bar a lucky kick on the 6th tackle, oh for a Chappy or a Robbo to set something up!

spot o9n with thar steve nothing can compensate for expirience said it when the afore mentioned players left the club not the quickest of players but you are right both knew where the try line is and could open up any defence from 5 or 10 yards out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users