Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

What we can take from today's game...

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Furryenzo

Furryenzo
  • Coach
  • 913 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

1. We are not battling for a play-off place, but to avoid relegation.

2. The officiating in our league needs to seriously be looked into.

3. Brad Dwyer is going to be world-class in 2/3 years.

4. We still have not got a clue in attack, and its almost embarrassing.

5. Josh Barlow is not a loose-forward, he is a second rower, a Dale Cunniffe. Bags of effort, commitment etc. but doesn't have a part to play in attacking moves.

6. No disrespect to any of the Warrington lads but none of them are a patch on Darren Hawkyard and seeing him on the bench is a joke.

7. We do, however, seem to be improving. I believe that with a better official we would have got a bonus point. Were doing now, what we should have been doing in the pre-season friendlies, but if we carry on, with a bit of luck, we might have it together for the second half of the season.

Edited by Furryenzo, 17 February 2013 - 08:23 PM.

Im only smiling because `no-one`'s found the bodies yet.

#2 GLENNGARY

GLENNGARY
  • Coach
  • 233 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

Some of the points you have made Furryenzo i agree with others i don't. Firstly i am mystifyed how a team that is well on top after 50mins. can capitulate so badly in the last half hour. It all started from an head high tackle from Josh Barlow which i'm afraid to say is becoming all to familiar He's starting to become a liability. From then on it was down hill at an alarming rate. Having said that though I think the Warrington kids are starting to show there worth Bridge for me had an outstanding game as did Ryan Shaw and Jordon Burke before he got hurt. One of the problems is we don't have a general to marshall them and take them round th park.Ive been a big admirer of Watson over the years but there is a time in a players life when its time to call it a day and move on i'm afraid to say that time as come. we need a young creative srum half who can move the ball faster across the park to bring the wings in play. Whats the point in having wingers like Ballard and Penny when fit when they never see the ball. Iwould give Dwyer a run at scrum half to speed things up. Anoter failing we have is we stand far to flat , the players have no momentum when they recieve the ball.Sheffield tore us apart when they started to run on the ball,why can't we do this we seem to have enough players ith pace to capitalise on this but we don,t seem to be able to utilise this pace why? A memo to Steve. You have got to turn this round sooner than later this club won't survive going back to chmpionship 1.

#3 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

Spoke to Steve after the game and he hopes to have Chaz I'Anson back for the Keighley game. Jordan Burke had gone for an X-Ray on his ankle so lets hope he is ok as he looked class today. Glenn Riley has a broken hand and will be out for a few weeks.
Was very impressed with Ben Currie and that full length try was outstanding.
Looking forward to Keighley now, we are due a win on that pitch.

See you there

Riggy

#4 Furryenzo

Furryenzo
  • Coach
  • 913 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

Some of the points you have made Furryenzo i agree with others i don't. Firstly i am mystifyed how a team that is well on top after 50mins. can capitulate so badly in the last half hour. It all started from an head high tackle from Josh Barlow which i'm afraid to say is becoming all to familiar He's starting to become a liability. From then on it was down hill at an alarming rate. Having said that though I think the Warrington kids are starting to show there worth Bridge for me had an outstanding game as did Ryan Shaw and Jordon Burke before he got hurt. One of the problems is we don't have a general to marshall them and take them round th park.Ive been a big admirer of Watson over the years but there is a time in a players life when its time to call it a day and move on i'm afraid to say that time as come. we need a young creative srum half who can move the ball faster across the park to bring the wings in play. Whats the point in having wingers like Ballard and Penny when fit when they never see the ball. Iwould give Dwyer a run at scrum half to speed things up. Anoter failing we have is we stand far to flat , the players have no momentum when they recieve the ball.Sheffield tore us apart when they started to run on the ball,why can't we do this we seem to have enough players ith pace to capitalise on this but we don,t seem to be able to utilise this pace why? A memo to Steve. You have got to turn this round sooner than later this club won't survive going back to chmpionship 1.

I think a key aspect in us falling apart after 50 minutes was Sheffield's attitude towards the game. We did play well to control the game in those 50, but if were being honest with ourselves, Sheffield clearly didn't take us seriously, most likely due to our previous results. Once they started playing they were simply far too good for us, and our heads went down. And with regards to Barlow, I did say a dale cunniffe ;) I agree about Watson, ive always defended him due to his leadership qualities on the field and without him I don't think we would have achieved what we have over the past two seasons. But the fact that he is our on-field general and assistant coach (and more than likely our attacking coach) I think he needs to take a lot of the responsibility for such things as not taking the two points (which, granted, we did today) and the line being to flat in the opponents 20. He needs to step down (as a player) or step it up a notch, because it simply isn't working as it stands. The Warrington lads were good today, especially burke I thought who made a couple of crucial tackles and interceptions. What I meant by that comment was that Darren Hawkyard was benched for these lads. Regardless of their own qualities, they are young inexperienced lads, who have apparantly taken the starting spot of a guy who I think started every single game last season. I think in the McCormack era, Hawkyard (along with Dana Wilson) has been our 'man of steel' if you will.

Edited by Furryenzo, 17 February 2013 - 10:26 PM.

#5 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 919 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

I take on board what's been said. Burke was doing well and maybe his injury turned the game a little for them. We already had Clarky out of position in the centre and Jordan's loss meant another out of position, although Currie took his try like a centre!
If we had taken our chances in the first half we would have been in a better place to attack from in the second.
Agree Hawkyard was excellent when he came on. So was Ritchie today.
Seeing as Sheffield are the current champions and have a squad which has been together for a while, we did really well and I really believe we will start to play some great football with time and improvement in the weather.
Also agree though we're are (and have been for years) clueless in attack from 20 yds out and I made my views known about Watto a long time ago. Thanks Ian and please stay with us but we need someone else. Where he comes from I don't know!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#6 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:26 PM

I think Watto can still do a job for us, but at hooker like he did for Wales in the 4 nations a few years ago. He has class he can read a game, but I would rotate him and Smith at 9. Dwyer is far to good to spend 40 mins warming the bench!

I felt sorry for Ballard today as he could have had a hat trick in the first 20 mins with slightly calmer heads.

I think today has shown me that we can compete at this level but we need to work at things.

As for staying in the league I think that Saturday is the acid test for us. Its a 6 pointer already I fear!
Dont worry, it will soon be Christmas!

Posted Image

#7 OneKing

OneKing
  • Players
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

A game of two halves! if the "lions" would have taken their chances and had "a little bit of luck" on their side then the game should have been over by half time. Experience definately triumphed over youth in the second half. I question the starting lineup, why have four Swinton "veterans" on the bench with four young Warrington lads taking their places? Dale Cunnife is far too good a player to have on the bench as is Martin Ainscough to have sitting in the stand! Sheffield bided their time but once into full game mode really made the "lions" pay.
I agree its time for Watto to hang up his boots or make a play as a substitute hooker. Ainscough should be given free reign to run things from stand off with perhaps Dwyer or I'Anson as his partner. Steve Mc needs to use his experienced players (being that most of them are still in their twenties!) and select (with the exception of Watto and perhaps Mills ) the team according to squad numbers thereby having a nucleus to build a team around and slot in the younger players where and when necessary. Ritchie Hawkyard is brave and did well yesterday, however, he does not have the physical presence for being the last line of defence and is far to easily targetted and despite his bravery looses too many crucial one on one situations( he too could do a job as a sub hooker)
With regard to the ref yesterday: how can you stop the game for a Sheffield "leg" injury disallowing a Swinton try, yet let play go on when there are two Swinton players down with "head" injuries and allow a Sheffield try?
One last point, the "added fitness and conditioning" from the wonderful Warrington facilities was little evident yesterday, prhaps its time to get out of the gym and back to basics in training ,starting with tackling practice and some basic passing to men running onto the ball!

#8 MALCOLM WHO ?

MALCOLM WHO ?
  • Coach
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

I thought Dale Cunnife was sat on a beach in Aus ? not on the bench in Leigh .

We always sign the wrong brother.

#9 OneKing

OneKing
  • Players
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

Sorry for Dale Cunnife read Daz Hawkyard !

#10 Furryenzo

Furryenzo
  • Coach
  • 913 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

I thought Dale Cunnife was sat on a beach in Aus ? not on the bench in Leigh .

What was Dale thinking when he made that move!? :lol:

#11 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

Ainscough surely was injured and not left out
Please tell me that's true

#12 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

As far as I am aware Ainscough was not injured.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#13 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

I think he was supposed to be elswhere.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#14 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

Ainscough was 18th man wasn't he?

Ridiculous. Let's face it, the majority of fans would have both Hawkyards and Ainscough in our starting line up. Barlow has been a liability so far. He's guaranteed to go over the top in the tackle and give away at least one pen, we'll see how he improves but so far it's been awful.

Currie was good yesterday as was Burke and Shaw. Burke has apparently suffered ligament damage (twitter), which isn't good news.

How we didn't score 3 or 4 tries in the first 40 mins is beyond me. The second half defence was even more baffling. From conceding 6 to conceding 46. That needs sorting out ASAP.

#15 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

Ainscough first name on the team sheet every week for me

#16 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

To be fair i thought Mills had his best game for us. He showed some real power and class.

Posted Image

#17 Furryenzo

Furryenzo
  • Coach
  • 913 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

Does anyone know how far penny is from coming back? Burke was good but surely we have enough cover on the wing with Ballard, Ormsby, Penny and Joel Monaghan. ;)

I agree about Mills, I just hope he knows hes got to perform to get a place and get paid, and it wasn't just another of his random good performances that we don't see enough of.

My ideal first team would be:

1. R. Hawkyard
2. Penny
3. Shaw
4. Reay (where has he gone?)
5. Ballard

6. Ainscough
7. Dwyer

8. Morrison
9. Smith
10. Wood (although it doesnt look like we will be seeing much from him)
11. Bridge
12. Hawkyard
13. I'Anson

14. Watson
15. Currie
16. Mills
17. Riley

#18 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

Who was the lad that played at 17 yesterday. he seems to be full of running and found a few gaps.

Posted Image

#19 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 919 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

Think 17 was Shaw. Can't see Ainscough on the bench if fit and Clarke in the centre!
So that's Smith, Dwyer, Watson, Hawkyard and Hulme fighting for the hooking role?

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#20 hilly

hilly
  • Players
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

Does anyone know how far penny is from coming back? Burke was good but surely we have enough cover on the wing with Ballard, Ormsby, Penny and Joel Monaghan. ;)

I agree about Mills, I just hope he knows hes got to perform to get a place and get paid, and it wasn't just another of his random good performances that we don't see enough of.

My ideal first team would be:

1. R. Hawkyard
2. Penny
3. Shaw
4. Reay (where has he gone?)
5. Ballard

6. Ainscough
7. Dwyer

8. Morrison
9. Smith
10. Wood (although it doesnt look like we will be seeing much from him)
11. Bridge
12. Hawkyard
13. I'Anson

14. Watson
15. Currie
16. Mills
17. Riley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users