24/2 3pm

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#41 PopStander

PopStander
  • Coach
  • 276 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

A lot closer than I thought it was going to be in all honesty.

Surprised so little mention of the crowds, given Halifax made up a decent proportion they've got to be a worry?

#42 Simon Hall

Simon Hall
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

A lot closer than I thought it was going to be in all honesty.

Surprised so little mention of the crowds, given Halifax made up a decent proportion they've got to be a worry?

Why would we mention the crowds rather than a superb performance from every man that was on the pitch? No point dwelling on the negatives. This team will win games, we'll get into the playoffs and the crowds will come back, nowt to worry about.

Printing & Graphic Design - Nationwide
Leaflets | Flyers | Matchday Programmes | Business Cards | Letterheads | Brochures | Posters | plus much, much more!
T: 01904 765334 | E: info@alldesignandprint.co.uk

Official Matchday Magazine print & design partner to York City Knights, Hunslet Hawks & Dewsbury Rams

alldesignandprint.co.uk

#43 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

Why would we mention the crowds rather than a superb performance from every man that was on the pitch? No point dwelling on the negatives. This team will win games, we'll get into the playoffs and the crowds will come back, nowt to worry about.

This.
Posted Image

#44 PopStander

PopStander
  • Coach
  • 276 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

So we can only post if we mention the positives?!
It was a superb performance and hopefully plenty more to come. But i'm also beginning to worry about attendances too. My memory isn't as short as some, I was there for the last Wasps game so i'm sorry, but to me it's worth mentioning.

Edited by PopStander, 24 February 2013 - 08:51 PM.

#45 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

So we can only post if we mention the positives?!
It was a superb performance and hopefully plenty more to come. But i'm also beginning to worry about attendances too. My memory isn't as short as some, I was there for the last Wasps game so i'm sorry, but to me it's worth mentioning.

We've got brass bands, kids for a quid, cheerleaders, junior game curtain raisers, and a decent competitive team that will hopefully win a few games this year.

We are now trying to interact with the fans as much as we can on twitter, facebook, the forums and by giving them a voice in the matchday magazine, so any suggestions are always welcome. Other than control the weather and hopefully get a few wins under our belt, what else can the Knights possibly do?
Posted Image

#46 DEANO

DEANO
  • Coach
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

don't think it is a york thing. generally crowds are poor and after winning a few games in the last 2 or 3 seasons, it will take time to re-build the fan base.no p and r last season and duel reg this won't help as rl is slowly losing its credibility. on top of that 14 quid is a lot of money
sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

#47 barlby knight

barlby knight
  • Coach
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

Typical York sports fans , would rather go glory hunting 25 miles down the A64 than support their home town team , always been the same have Yorkies , very fickle , I've lived in a few different places over the years but always supported York RL teams & City , proud of my City roots but indifferent to its residents , a lot who seem to think they come from Leeds , I work there & believe me I'd take York anyday !

Edited by barlby knight, 24 February 2013 - 09:05 PM.

LOVE THE KNIGHTS , LIVE THE KNIGHTS

#48 Simon Hall

Simon Hall
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

So we can only post if we mention the positives?! I was there for the last Wasps game so i'm sorry, but to me it's worth mentioning.

I was too. We're light years ahead of that sorry excuse for a club and you know it. We've got a decent team and everything necessary to underpin that, sponsorship is doing well and an excellent youth set-up, we've even got a new stadium on the horizon in the next couple of years. We got 900 odd there today regardless of whether they were York or Fax fans on a freezing day in February. Hardly panic stations is it?
Any suggestions to increase crowds would be greatly appreciated though, I'm sure of that.

Leaflets | Flyers | Matchday Programmes | Business Cards | Letterheads | Brochures | Posters | plus much, much more!

Official Matchday Magazine print & design partner to York City Knights, Hunslet Hawks & Dewsbury Rams

alldesignandprint.co.uk

#49 ANDYPK

ANDYPK
  • Coach
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

Typical York sports fans , would rather go glory hunting 25 miles down the A64 than support their home town team , always been the same have Yorkies , very fickle , I've lived in a few different places over the years but always supported York RL teams & City , proud of my City roots but indifferent to its residents , a lot who seem to think they come from Leeds , I work there & believe me I'd take York anyday !

Well said Nigel, I travel all over with my job and never fail to think what a nice place York is to live whenever I am driving back home. Although not sure you can tar us all with same brush, Just not enough of us these days who will stay true to a struggling club so only when we put a few consistent performances together will we have any chance of attracting the fan base we had in 2003-2005, still think a dour 2006 started the rot. Already results showing there are no whipping boys in the league and we simply have to stay up, would like to see any funds saved from Kingy and Hardbottle spent even on one player to add to the squad, Bowden has some real go forward as did Tonks and Ambler for Fax, we need a running forward in the mould of Friendy.
Posted Image

#50 andyacko

andyacko
  • Coach
  • 4,102 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

Just to say what a really entertaining game today. Both sides put a lot of effort in, in a great spirit helped by a generally superb refereeing display. Sir Ronnie, I salute you.
Churlish to pick individuals out but Tom Carr and Jack Aldous were excellent, closely followed by Ed Smith, Josh Bowden, Dean Hadley and Jack Lee.
We matched Fax up front, which is a tough ask. One defensive glitch where a misunderstanding between Hadley and Browny let Handforth walk in but otherwide the defence was good.
GT said afterwards that he was disappointed that the Knights couldnt just pull off the win. Said the Kingy thing is dead in the water and hoping Fordy will be fit for Friday. Special mention for Austin Bell, who virtually played on one leg, against advice but knew his side were short of bodies.
Dont forget Friday is at Bramall Lane not Don Valley ( Acko's dodgy head for heights on that ruddy roof gantry !! ).
Meant to ask GT if he'd enquired as to whether Brett Seymour is available for DR ? :rolleyes: ;)

#51 andyacko

andyacko
  • Coach
  • 4,102 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

Always a ton of ifs and buts in a game but just had another look at the late chip over the Fax defence by Browny which Tom Carr collected and offloaded to Jack Lee and Jack had got less on his kick through and could have directed it left, Jack Latus would have been favorite to be on the end of it..

#52 Simon Hall

Simon Hall
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

Talking of Latus, been very impressed with him from what I've seen, I think we should be looking at signing him now his trial period is over

alldesignandprint.co.uk

#53 ANDYPK

ANDYPK
  • Coach
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

We've got brass bands, kids for a quid, cheerleaders, junior game curtain raisers, and a decent competitive team that will hopefully win a few games this year.

We are now trying to interact with the fans as much as we can on twitter, facebook, the forums and by giving them a voice in the matchday magazine, so any suggestions are always welcome. Other than control the weather and hopefully get a few wins under our belt, what else can the Knights possibly do?

Gav

Where were the band today ? Thought we had them all season ? If they have gone why not invite local school/student bands (not just brass bands) to perform at half-time , might attract a few parents, brothers/sisters, you could get them competing each week at half time over a few weeks say two bands perform one song max 5mins each and then the crowd judge best song/tune by a 'clapometer' type scoring system, winning band goes through to an end of season 'battle of the bands' at a KISS event thus bringing club, community and KISS closer.

Just a suggestion could we not try a joint deal with York City whereby whenever either rugby or footy team is playing away then footy fans get into the knights for £10 and vice versa, might attract a few extra fans.

Give away some of the special '5 match tickets' to local businesses to pass round/reward employees, just might hook a few extra fans and they may bring a paying guest or kids.

Set up a Knights Junior Supporters club or Mascot club whereby if they attend so many games with a paying adult they get names in a hat to be match mascot and lead the team out, run out with Norris etc - not a new thing this but attracts parents to watch the kids could this be linked to the community work the Knights do already.

Need something different at half-time, cross bar challenge is no longer exciting as no one ever gets close, why not sell tickets simply for a go at the cross bar but with a smaller prize the closer you are.

Reward season ticket holders by running a monthly half time draw with a 'sponsored' prize, would rely on donated prizes

We used to have Minster FM doing kids games in front of pop stand before the game, could we not attract something like this again ?
Posted Image

#54 ANDYPK

ANDYPK
  • Coach
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

Talking of Latus, been very impressed with him from what I've seen, I think we should be looking at signing him now his trial period is over

Can't pick all new names out yet was Latus playing 27 ? If so I agree, always wanted the ball and ran his heart out today.
Posted Image

#55 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

Gav

Where were the band today ? Thought we had them all season ? If they have gone why not invite local school/student bands (not just brass bands) to perform at half-time , might attract a few parents, brothers/sisters, you could get them competing each week at half time over a few weeks say two bands perform one song max 5mins each and then the crowd judge best song/tune by a 'clapometer' type scoring system, winning band goes through to an end of season 'battle of the bands' at a KISS event thus bringing club, community and KISS closer.

Just a suggestion could we not try a joint deal with York City whereby whenever either rugby or footy team is playing away then footy fans get into the knights for £10 and vice versa, might attract a few extra fans.

Give away some of the special '5 match tickets' to local businesses to pass round/reward employees, just might hook a few extra fans and they may bring a paying guest or kids.

Set up a Knights Junior Supporters club or Mascot club whereby if they attend so many games with a paying adult they get names in a hat to be match mascot and lead the team out, run out with Norris etc - not a new thing this but attracts parents to watch the kids could this be linked to the community work the Knights do already.

Need something different at half-time, cross bar challenge is no longer exciting as no one ever gets close, why not sell tickets simply for a go at the cross bar but with a smaller prize the closer you are.

Reward season ticket holders by running a monthly half time draw with a 'sponsored' prize, would rely on donated prizes

We used to have Minster FM doing kids games in front of pop stand before the game, could we not attract something like this again ?

All good ideas mate, I will certainly pass them on!

The Brass Band are very busy, but they will be back when they can be!
Posted Image

#56 huntington26

huntington26
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:05 AM

don't want to be negative but when the kids for a £1 was done earlier in the season, still saw hardly any kids around the ground as usual, the key to this is promotion and all the schools need to know about it and hopefully get in there newsletter or something which goes in their book bags. I am not convinced all schools knew about the previous promotion? facebook/twitter are good tools for promotion but to some degree you already need to be engaged by liking the knights page or following them on twitter and I am convinced the best way to get kids engaged is a strong presence in schools.

#57 steve56

steve56
  • Coach
  • 374 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:36 AM

Well done to the Knights for yesterday keep up this level of performance and we won't be concerning ourselves with relegation.

#58 shades2

shades2
  • Coach
  • 3,285 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:06 AM

Agree with most of that, Press & 1 RL paper give Dean Hadley MOM which I agree with,
outstanding effort from all 17, turning point was Sam Scotts injury.

Impressed with the commitment from the Hull lads & a lot has been said about D/R etc,
but think 3 young York lads deserve a special mention.
Ed Smith - best game for 18 months,
Kris Brining - within seconds of coming on, put 3 massive hits in on some big Fax lads,
Ben Dent - hardly put a foot wrong (and did little wrong at Batley last week).

Overall, really impressed. One word of caution though, in this division we need that kind
of intensity in defence every single week, otherwise you get taken apart, so we need to
continue that Friday night which will be an even harder game than yesterday.

Edited by shades2, 25 February 2013 - 08:07 AM.

#59 Big Ron

Big Ron
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:30 AM

great to watch after last week and as people have said ronnie kept the game flowing for a change if we can repeat that on friday i will be amazed and PROUD

#60 SuperYork

SuperYork
  • Coach
  • 169 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

I thought the player were great yesterday! Really thought they were going to take all 3 points. Need to keep that level of performance for home and away games now.

Anyone tell me why JP try didn't count? other wise the ref had a good game!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 24/2, 3pm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users