RL Express

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,973 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

In Martyn Sadlers column today in the Rugby League Express he is pointing out that Widnes don't have a game next weekend due to Leeds playing in the World Club Challenge. He adds that there is nothing to stop Widnes sending up to Town, Kevin Brown, Ben Cross, Rhys Hanbury, Sean Briscoe plus one other to play against Sheffield. The dual registration rules allow for this to happen!!!!!

I think it would cause a few apoplexies if it did!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#2 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,269 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

Would we argue right now for this game ? Teams are really pushing the envelope .

Edited by DavidM, 18 February 2013 - 12:30 PM.

#3 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

some criticise the DR system as it may stop the permanent players getting game time but the simple fact is our creative players aren't creating anything at the moment so something as to be done.

#4 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

With them all being signed on Duel Reg ( apart from overseas and Hock) I wonder WHO gets the final decision on who plays and when.

#5 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,662 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

i would possibly take a couple of the half backs but the likes of briscoe i wouldnt take over carter.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#6 Luggsy the legend

Luggsy the legend
  • Players
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

The DR is not the answer for this league we have our fair share at the rams and you don't know who your gonna get week by week. Overseas players don't count as it against there visa application so you can count Cross, Hanbury out . At the rams the only guy we've had that's any quality is the guy from up there Donaldson. After watching prem sport on Thursday I think we will beat your neighbours but it will be a really hard struggle. Ps if your short of a player we will lend price he's the worst player I've ever seen in a rams shirt everything going for him but his heart

Edited by Luggsy the legend, 18 February 2013 - 02:10 PM.

#7 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

Thought the suggestion of Hulme at stand-off was an interesting one.

#8 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,973 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

I can't see that there would be too many arguments if we were to take an ex-England international with 100+ SL appearancesto his credit though, just to help us out mind you. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#9 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

I would like to think Charlton will play fair in a situation like this and not ###### about with the spirit of DR

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#10 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

Like everyone else does?

#11 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,269 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

Aye It's turned out to be total self preservation ... Join the party !

#12 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 845 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

I think even with a oood stand off we still dont have enough pace and power in the centre to take advantage of him at present??.

#13 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,662 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

mossop will be back on sunday whos arguably the best centre at the club. i would also swap calders onto the other wing to bring him into the game a bit more.

#14 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

One thing we most certainly do have is power in the centres, what we may be lacking is guile and the ability to actually get the ball into the centres enough. Over the past few seasons we have not used our 3/4`s anywhere near as well as we should have, and that for me is mainly down to the half backs and the likes of Stack not being used out wide enough.

#15 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

I would take some persuading to go and watch if we did take the 5 mentioned as I think we would be no better than Swinton. I'd rather watch our players lose if I'm honest. That's just my view of the situation and I respect everyone doesn't share them. If it was last match of the season and we needed a win it would be a hard one for the club but I'd rather not have 5 players who won't play for us again.

Edited by The Voodooguru, 18 February 2013 - 04:56 PM.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#16 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,662 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

i think we can all be safe in the knowledge that we wont be doing that. it was just a hypothetical situation

#17 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

TBF youve got to take your hat off to the coaches they havent jumped on the bandwagon and are using young lads from Widnes who are filling in positions due to injuries in the squad. If the team was downn to its bare bones in certain positions then I dont think nayone can critise a coach for opting to play widnes players - normally if a club was in that situation you would go out and get a loan deal for a month (which is costly). Using duel reg players when you have a fully fit squad is totally different though and I think Workington are currently doing it right

#18 Townvic

Townvic
  • Coach
  • 749 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

mossop will be back on sunday whos arguably the best centre at the club. i would also swap calders onto the other wing to bring him into the game a bit more.

Not sure he will be after talking to him last week. Ligaments
STILL Keeping the Faith in more ways than one...though others may fall away.... Oh yes I am

Posted Image

#19 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,662 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

charlton has said in todays paper that we arent going to be using anymore dual reg players than we have been. so thay will mean that the haven and barrow fans can sleep easy tonight, as it was obviously causing a large concern to them, as what town are up to is clearly more important than there own teams struggles

Edited by wonky, 19 February 2013 - 01:31 PM.

#20 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,662 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

Not sure he will be after talking to him last week. Ligaments

thats a blow if he is missing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users