Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dual Registration - could be interesting!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,705 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

In todays RL Express, Martyn Sadler points out that Widnes have no game this next weekend as they should have been playing Leeds who are in the World Club Challenge. He adds that several Widnes players could do with a bit of game time and says there is nothing in the current rules to stop Widnes supplying Workington Town with Kevin Brown, Rhys Hanbury, Sean Brsicoe, Ben Cross and one other player to play against Sheffield.

As a Town fan I don't think for one minute that that would happen and I don't really want it to happen but surely this points out to the RFL, who have said they will not alter it this season, how silly this whole thing has become!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#2 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

guess we'll see later this week how many of its players widnes send north......it would'nt surprise me one bit if most of the players you've mentioned turn out for workington...

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#3 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,486 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

It would me !!

Why would Widnes risking their players getting injured in a game at Workington that means nothing to them ? :huh:
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#4 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

to get them match fit...

OLDHAM RLFC

#5 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 479 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

They may send squad players who haven't had run out so far this season.

#6 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

They'd have to most likely £1,500 a pop.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#7 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

I'd guess who turns out for Workington would be down to the Workington coach; Widnes can make them available, but he will pick his side with regard to what it is best for Workington not what is best for Widnes.

I'd guess that most coaches would take a longer term view of what is best and not just bite their hands off to stuff his side with a few SL players for one match.
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#8 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,486 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

to get them match fit...

Of course !! :lol:
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#9 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,902 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

I'd guess who turns out for Workington would be down to the Workington coach; Widnes can make them available, but he will pick his side with regard to what it is best for Workington not what is best for Widnes.

I'd guess that most coaches would take a longer term view of what is best and not just bite their hands off to stuff his side with a few SL players for one match.

Give me a call, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

#10 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 479 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

Give me a call, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#11 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

aaww bless....

if widnes want players x,y & z to get game time...they will get game time

OLDHAM RLFC

#12 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

aaww bless....

if widnes want players x,y & z to get game time...they will get game time

Town have played it the right way so far and we have turned some offered players down. We have only used DR to cover for injured players (Mattinson & Miller) and one of the DR players Declan Hulme has played in every game so no different to a loan signing really. It's not like we've chopped and changed every week to suit Widnes. I'd be very disappointed if we change that approach now.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#13 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

Does Ben Cross have a visa to play for Workington then?
Posted Image

#14 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,705 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

Spoil sport. You have now spoiled the illusion/delusion. :rolleyes:

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#15 noname6

noname6
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

is ben cross good enough to play for workington :lol:

#16 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

In some ways, I hope that they do field 4 or 5 genuine ringers.

It will further help to expose the absurdity of the current rules and hopefully speed up a big re-think of the whole idea.

#17 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:27 PM

is ben cross good enough to play for workington :lol:

i'd swap him for brett phillips any day of the week....................
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#18 brummie-eagle

brummie-eagle
  • Coach
  • 794 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:54 AM

Pick them all, we'd still beat them!
why dont they just give andy farrell his medal now?- ray french before the challenge cup final 1998

#19 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,164 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

We often hear people complain about players having too many games, im not sure why Widnes would give sime star players an extra game.

#20 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,876 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

I wish I had the journalistic skills to look at a fixture list and entirely make up a story based on my findings.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users