Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

World Club Challenge: Leeds Rhinos v Melbourne Storm

Rhinos media release RFL media release

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
228 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (43 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Leeds Rhinos by 13 points or more (1 votes [2.33%])

Percentage of vote: 2.33%

2. Leeds Rhinos by 7 to 12 points (4 votes [9.30%])

Percentage of vote: 9.30%

3. Voted Leeds Rhinos by 1 - 6 points (11 votes [25.58%])

Percentage of vote: 25.58%

4. Melbourne Storm by 1 - 6 points (1 votes [2.33%])

Percentage of vote: 2.33%

5. Melbourne Storm by 7 to 12 points (13 votes [30.23%])

Percentage of vote: 30.23%

6. Melbourne Storm by 13 points or more (13 votes [30.23%])

Percentage of vote: 30.23%

Vote

#181 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

Great game and Leeds competed well against a fabulous RL side. Had to smile at the end of the game when I saw Feisal on the podium wearing his Fev scarf. Good man!
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#182 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

The big issue is that England will not get the 50:50 calls in the WC. Thaler is so biased towards Leeds it is almost comical.

#183 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

I did not watch the game so all I know is that the English side lost whilst playing on their home ground, to an Aussie team in their pre-season. not good news.

Hopefully our national team will reverse the result, although we all know there wont be a single forward pass given against the green and golds

If you didn't watch it perhaps it's best to not comment. I usually like your posts but this one is just pathetic
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#184 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

What a great game! Managed to find a bar in Madrid that was showing it, added bonus they had no sound so no E&S. without the commentary I found I got loads more out of the game. It looked really fast on TV.

Also, I hope this yr people just talk about a great game of RL and not Aussies don't take it seriously, English team at home blah blah blah. It was just a great game of RL!

And how good was Peacock!? Thought he was immense. I'd have him back in WC on that form!

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#185 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

Decent game. Storm weren't at their best but then neither were Leeds. However, given all the advantages in their favour I think they will be more than disappointed withe the final result.

Big moments were Burrow's drop ball and Jessie Bromwich's walk in.

Eddie is just embarrassing on any international occasion. Immature isn't the word. Taunting Phil Gould over the airwaves 12000 miles away without the right to reply - who the F:/k is Eddie Hemmings? Never even played the game.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#186 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

That was as high class rugby you'll ever see

And you really believe that? It was a good game for 60 minutes, both teams were tired in the last 20 which was poor.

#187 Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein
  • Coach
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

How good was Harris the Storm second row. Incredible performance for a debutant imo

#188 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,373 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:00 PM

And you really believe that? It was a good game for 60 minutes, both teams were tired in the last 20 which was poor.

Disagree, the last 20 opened up and made it exciting......Storm were holding on at that point and Leeds could have poached it.......it was a great game to watch because, at first Storm were immense - Leeds could not gain any ground, it was a massive territorial battle that Storm were winning comfortably...... then later in the 1st half Leeds were starting to gain a few extra yards in every tackle and showed sparks of penetrating the line, particularly on the flanks. 8-8 at HT was about right......Storm devastated Leeds in the first 10mins of the 2nd half and the rest of the game was about Leeds trying to play catch up

#189 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 596 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:16 PM

Agree,not a classic by any means,1 team a month into their season,the other in pre-season mode,proves nothing either way,bit like the Charity Shied in football.
Having said that Jamie Peacock was head and shoulders above anyone on the pitch,sadly though the Golden Boot proved thats all he his as his defence cost two trys

#190 Blotto

Blotto
  • Coach
  • 576 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:39 AM

Storms overall discipline was the key to winning in this game, Sinfields post match interview moaning about their missed chances, belies the fact Storm ignored all their missed opportunities and some poor officiating and got on with trying to win the game, which they did very competently and got the result. I thought Leeds game plan in the first was to play it the way Storm do instead of playing to their own strengths , they may not have won doing it that way but i think they would have frightend Storm a bit more!

Edited by Blotto, 23 February 2013 - 12:39 AM.

If you like old type radio comedy/drama's etc listen to http://pumpkinfm.com/

#191 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,606 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:38 AM

I think it will be interesting to see how the Australian media report the game. I think the best team won, but not by anywhere near as many as they thought they would.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#192 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:13 AM

I think it will be interesting to see how the Australian media report the game. I think the best team won, but not by anywhere near as many as they thought they would.

Most of the media are taking the same report of this game.
http://www.courierma...x-1226583990745

The NRL does not start for another two weeks
The Storm did well to be as fluid as they were so early in the season with everything in favour of Leeds.

Edited by AndyCapp, 23 February 2013 - 05:23 AM.

#193 St.Clarence.

St.Clarence.
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:16 AM

Sinfield was average tonight,

Sinfield wasn't even average,apart from the conversions he did nothing.A performance like that just goes to prove Aussies journalists are right about the so called 'Best player in the world'
He's not a patch om Smith,Slater or Cronk and that's just from the Storm

#194 davewd

davewd
  • Facebook
  • 83 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:25 AM

I have never seen Slater looking so bloated around his face as he been ill?

#195 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:39 AM

Sinfield wasn't even average,apart from the conversions he did nothing.A performance like that just goes to prove Aussies journalists are right about the so called 'Best player in the world'
He's not a patch om Smith,Slater or Cronk and that's just from the Storm

I thought the reports were that he was motivated for a big one to prove the Aussies knockers wrong.

Maybe the commentators had it right when they said the Storm dressed a player in a Shirt with Sinfields name on the back and Gold Boots and targeted him. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Not sure how that works in reality but the past their use by date (by about 2 decades) commentators thought it sounded good.
Sounds like a script from a Benny Hill speeded up gag, daadeedaaddaadaa daaaa :lol:

Edited by AndyCapp, 23 February 2013 - 07:41 AM.

#196 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

Disagree, the last 20 opened up and made it exciting......Storm were holding on at that point and Leeds could have poached it.......it was a great game to watch because, at first Storm were immense - Leeds could not gain any ground, it was a massive territorial battle that Storm were winning comfortably...... then later in the 1st half Leeds were starting to gain a few extra yards in every tackle and showed sparks of penetrating the line, particularly on the flanks. 8-8 at HT was about right......Storm devastated Leeds in the first 10mins of the 2nd half and the rest of the game was about Leeds trying to play catch up

Exactly. Completely agree with this.

I thought Sinfield had a decent game, just not his 'mid - late season' form, like the Grand Final last year, however, I felt really sorry for the young kid in Leeds squad. Some terrible mistakes due to inexperience at SL level.
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#197 Fax1978

Fax1978
  • Coach
  • 568 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

Have to say I was extremely impressed by Ward to say he was giving away approx 2 stone in weight in comparison to the next smallest forward he ran hard, tackled excellently and showed a few touches of pace and handling skills was an accomplished performance from one so young.

My main disappointment was Widdop really, who's praises I have sung having watched him many times in the NRL. He was decidedly ordinary saw little of the ball, was skinned by Watkins, and made at least 4 handling errors. This was his chance to show the British fans what a good player he is right at the start of the Wc year I feel that with Finches recruitment another game like that and he will find himself an understudy on the bench.

#198 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

Finch was going to be "something" and it never happened.
Every NRL Club he went to they moved him on.
He is back at the Storm but only as a part timer.
Did he get any game time yesterday?

#199 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

I dont mind Hemmings but he was being a tool there. Im not sure why he thinks outlawed means red card. High tackles are outlawed but not automatically red cards.

Off track somewhat but, I watched Barrow V Batley P/sports Thursday and could not help but compare the commentary team with that at Sky. There was not ONE reference throughout to a : swinging arm, head high shot, out on their feet ; etc etc etc........................ And what a pleasant commentary it was. These two at Sky have become so bloody predictable with their comments that it is almost possible to repeat their next statements: even before they make them!!

I believe also that this is one of the reasons that I do prefer to watch the NRL as well, where the commentary is mostly pretty enjoyable and certainly far far less predictable.

#200 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

The Storm were rusty
Leeds gave it a good shot but were never in front.
The Storm blew Leeds away in the first 10 minutes of each half.
Leeds got the rub of the Green several times.
Leeds scored a Try from an obvious forward pass.
The Storm had a Try disallowed from a pass that looked at worse line ball.

It was a fair result, all good.

Edited by AndyCapp, 23 February 2013 - 11:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users