Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

World Club Challenge: Leeds Rhinos v Melbourne Storm

Rhinos media release RFL media release

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
228 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (43 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Leeds Rhinos by 13 points or more (1 votes [2.33%])

Percentage of vote: 2.33%

2. Leeds Rhinos by 7 to 12 points (4 votes [9.30%])

Percentage of vote: 9.30%

3. Voted Leeds Rhinos by 1 - 6 points (11 votes [25.58%])

Percentage of vote: 25.58%

4. Melbourne Storm by 1 - 6 points (1 votes [2.33%])

Percentage of vote: 2.33%

5. Melbourne Storm by 7 to 12 points (13 votes [30.23%])

Percentage of vote: 30.23%

6. Melbourne Storm by 13 points or more (13 votes [30.23%])

Percentage of vote: 30.23%

Vote

#221 Bitofaboogie

Bitofaboogie
  • Coach
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

Well done Storm, absolutely delighted that you won it - great result for Rugby League.

As for Leeds - on their own ground, with "The World's Best Player" in their side, along with a referee who is embarassingly biased towards them and playing against a team 13,000 miles from home that hadn't played together for 5 months and was missing 6 of their Grand Final-winning squad - it just shows how mediocre Leeds are and what a 2nd rate competition Superleague has become.

Still, Leeds lost so I'm very pleased indeed!! :D

Edited by Bitofaboogie, 24 February 2013 - 11:23 AM.

#222 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,613 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

Well done Storm, absolutely delighted that you won it - great result for Rugby League.

As for Leeds - on their own ground, with "The World's Best Player" in their side, along with a referee who is embarassingly biased towards them and playing against a team 13,000 miles from home that hadn't played together for 5 months and was missing 6 of their Grand Final-winning squad - it just shows how mediocre Leeds are and what a 2nd rate competition Superleague has become.

Ahh, welcome back for 2013.

Really enjoyed the game, I think the forum has summed it up well. Watkins was pretty impressive with ball in hand; Delaney, Ablett and Peacock all took it up very well. Agree with bobbruce about Peacock in the last twenty minutes - too many offloads when it wasn't on.

Melbourne played well but I don't get excited watching them. They do a lot of things very impressively though, not least in defence. Still, Leeds engineered enough breaks to have won the game, they just didn't execute. Melbourne took their chances better and their final try was quite brilliant.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#223 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,919 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

Leeds suffered on two fronts
1. Fullback - I cant believe Watkins is their best backup fullback. He was constantly put of position in defence and often in attack.
2. Rob Burrows takes a pass he'd take 99/100 times and its a very very different game

That's what I think. Burrow scores, Leeds tails are up and Melbourne are playing catchup. I thought Thaler was reasonable. He missed several high tackles by Melbourne plus the ball punched out of the Leeds player's grasp where he awarded a knock-on could have been a Leeds score. My lad - who hates Leeds saw it differently - he thought Thaler biased towards Leeds - just goes to show.
Peacock as always was awesome - god knows how they'll replace him.

Edited by Trojan, 24 February 2013 - 01:06 PM.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#224 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

I don't think Thaler could have done anymore to help Leeds. He pinged Melbourne for a grapple tackle but pretty much every one of Abletts tackled involved his hand all over the faces and necks.

#225 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

I'm no Leeds fan but don't see how it was a great result for RL. More reasons for Aussies to dismiss anything not Aussie is not good news for the game.

And five months is stretching it somewhat.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#226 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,080 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

I'm no Leeds fan but don't see how it was a great result for RL. More reasons for Aussies to dismiss anything not Aussie is not good news for the game.

And five months is stretching it somewhat.

We've had the sensible analysis,now it's the turn of the trolls.
Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#227 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

For starters Sinfield isn't the worlds best player, people know that. Melbourne had the 3 best players in the world in their side.

Thaler wasn't as bad as you're making out, he missed decisions for both sides.

5 months is stretching it plus they've been playing together in a training camp for the last ten days and have had pre season. You don't see people on the first game of the season saying 'we lost as we haven't played together for the last few months.'

Leeds were missing 5 of their Grand Final winning squad also you're forgetting.

So a side with the three best players in the world playing for them who dominated the best league in the world could only beat a mediocre side from a second rate competition who were missing nearly a third of their squad by four points. That doesn't sound very impressive by Melbourne, I don't even know why they were celebrating the win.

#228 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

There are quite a few comments about te ref being pro Leeds ,but did anyone comment about the ref in 2010 at E R when Silverwood appered to be very biased against Melbourne.Nice to see you back BITOFAHICK

Edited by fieldofclothofgold, 24 February 2013 - 02:54 PM.

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#229 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

Aaaaaand locked.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic