Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

World Club Challenge: Leeds Rhinos v Melbourne Storm

Rhinos media release RFL media release

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
228 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (43 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Leeds Rhinos by 13 points or more (1 votes [2.33%])

Percentage of vote: 2.33%

2. Leeds Rhinos by 7 to 12 points (4 votes [9.30%])

Percentage of vote: 9.30%

3. Voted Leeds Rhinos by 1 - 6 points (11 votes [25.58%])

Percentage of vote: 25.58%

4. Melbourne Storm by 1 - 6 points (1 votes [2.33%])

Percentage of vote: 2.33%

5. Melbourne Storm by 7 to 12 points (13 votes [30.23%])

Percentage of vote: 30.23%

6. Melbourne Storm by 13 points or more (13 votes [30.23%])

Percentage of vote: 30.23%

Vote

#41 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,426 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

Melbourne Storms home ground holds 30,000k they would not have charged too much.
Its slightly more modern too.
http://images.theage...STORM-420x0.jpg

Pointless playing it in Australia,the WCC means nothing,remember. ;)

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 19 February 2013 - 12:46 PM.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#42 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

Was it not last years WCC? Sure that sold out too!

21,062 in 2012

#43 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

Pointless playing it in Australia,the WCC means nothing,remember. ;)

Well it is pointless played in England in Australia's pre season.
Play it in Melbourne on the Storms week of their Bye and I suggest it may be perceived as a game that is not all one way traffic for the last 18 years.

#44 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,426 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

Well it is pointless played in England in Australia's pre season.
Play it in Melbourne on the Storms week of their Bye and I suggest it may be perceived as a game that is not all one way traffic for the last 18 years.

But you've said it's a meaningless game at anytime,why the change of heart.

#45 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

Remember when Great Britain played the Kangaroos in the NRL season in Oz in a one off match, how did they feel and did they ever do it again?
I remember the media reports from England it was almost a mass hanging because of the Cricket Score.
Play the game in alternate countries at a time that is fair to both teams and the game would be a lot bigger than it is today.
The fact its all biased to the English teams makes it a laughing stock in Australia where it has barely had any coverage at all for a decade.

#46 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

But you've said it's a meaningless game at anytime,why the change of heart.

Did I say that?
Its meaningless in the format it has been in for years.
If it was played at a time that worked for both teams when both teams had most of the players and Coach that won their respective Leagues it would mean a lot more than it does now.

Look at last Year Manly were ripped apart with the way Des Hasler left the Club, he was instrumental in Manly success for several years.
Its not the same team when a Coach like Hasler leaves in a bunch of fireworks.

Edited by AndyCapp, 19 February 2013 - 12:59 PM.

#47 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,426 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

Remember when Great Britain played the Kangaroos in the NRL season in Oz in a one off match, how did they feel and did they ever do it again?
I remember the media reports from England it was almost a mass hanging because of the Cricket Score.
Play the game in alternate countries at a time that is fair to both teams and the game would be a lot bigger than it is today.
The fact its all biased to the English teams makes it a laughing stock in Australia where it has barely had any coverage at all for a decade.

Super League teams have offered to play the game in Australia and it's always been turned down.
Anyway,a Leeds win but only just.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 19 February 2013 - 12:59 PM.

#48 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

Was it not last years WCC? Sure that sold out too!

It was about 400 or so off capacity, but that wasn't domestic ;)

We have had a fair few 18/19k crowds since 2009 but no 20k attendances in the League

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#49 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,766 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

Slightly related - I was going through the old stuff on the video recorder's hard drive last night and turned up highlights of the very entertaining WCC between Leeds and Canterbury from a few years back.

A few early/pre-season rusty moments (Leeds' first try especially), but also several incidences of excellent Rugby too. Anything as enjoyable to watch as that, and I'll be happy! :)

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#50 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

McGuires dummy and go try has always stuck in my head from that game. Brilliant piece of individual skill.

#51 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,766 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

McGuires dummy and go try has always stuck in my head from that game. Brilliant piece of individual skill.

Interestingly, the highlights were from the BBC and were quite extensive, but they omitted the bit early where Barrie Mac came charging onto the ball and Tony Grimaldi attempted to tackle him. And the bit just afterward, where you could see Grimaldi's eyes revolving in different directions as cartoon bluebirds flew around his head.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#52 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

Slightly related - I was going through the old stuff on the video recorder's hard drive last night and turned up highlights of the very entertaining WCC between Leeds and Canterbury from a few years back.

A few early/pre-season rusty moments (Leeds' first try especially), but also several incidences of excellent Rugby too. Anything as enjoyable to watch as that, and I'll be happy! :)

I remember that game too - particularly for two colossal shoulder charges by a young Sonny Bill Williams on Marcus Bai and Ryan Bailey that are among the most spectacular things I've ever seen. If anyone can post those on here, then I'd be grateful... It is odd to think that we'll never see that kind of impact on a rugby league field again.

#53 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

There's a website where a guy called woodyaaaaa or something like that has uploaded extended highlights of that game. They could be on there. I'm sure the Bai one is anyway.

Edited by Harrigan, 19 February 2013 - 01:42 PM.

#54 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,426 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

Ref: B Thaler Vid Ref: P Bentham Touch J: G Stokes Touch J: J Child Reserve: R Silverwood Time K: I McGregor M Com: P Crashley

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 19 February 2013 - 01:52 PM.

#55 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

There's a website where a guy called woodyaaaaa or something like that has uploaded extended highlights of that game. They could be on there. I'm sure the Bai one is anyway.

Thanks! I'll have a look...

#56 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

What about McGuire at full-back?

Bet I know were you got that one from
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#57 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

Really looking forward to this one.

Come on Leeds! :o

#58 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

All tickets sold for 2013 World Club Challenge

The 2013 World Club Challenge will be played out in front of a capacity crowd at Headingley Carnegie Stadium on Friday night after the last remaining tickets for the showdown between Super League champions Leeds Rhinos and NRL Grand Final winners Melbourne Storm were sold.
All 20,400 tickets were snapped up as fans flocked to secure their place for the fixture between the two most successful Rugby League clubs of the modern era.
“It’s going to be a night to remember for every Rugby League supporter and I’m sure the atmosphere at Headingley Carnegie Stadium will be one that everyone at the game will remember for a long time to come,” said RFL Chief Executive Nigel Wood.
“I would like to congratulate everyone concerned for their efforts in selling every single ticket and wish both clubs the best of luck on Friday night.
“With strong demand for tickets for the Rugby League World Cup which takes place in England and Wales at the end of the year, this news provides more evidence of the need for fans to purchase in advance to secure their seat at the biggest games.”
All the supporters who were unable to purchase a ticket for the 2013 World Club Challenge can still watch the historic action unfold as it happens live and exclusively on Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 1 HD from 7.30pm on Friday (8.00pm ko).

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#59 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,990 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

Leeds v Canterbury...

Part one

Part two

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#60 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

Bet I know were you got that one from

Nowhere. Just a thought. Why?

On Odsal Top baht 'at.