Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

World Club Challenge: Leeds Rhinos v Melbourne Storm

Rhinos media release RFL media release

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
228 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (43 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Leeds Rhinos by 13 points or more (1 votes [2.33%])

Percentage of vote: 2.33%

2. Leeds Rhinos by 7 to 12 points (4 votes [9.30%])

Percentage of vote: 9.30%

3. Voted Leeds Rhinos by 1 - 6 points (11 votes [25.58%])

Percentage of vote: 25.58%

4. Melbourne Storm by 1 - 6 points (1 votes [2.33%])

Percentage of vote: 2.33%

5. Melbourne Storm by 7 to 12 points (13 votes [30.23%])

Percentage of vote: 30.23%

6. Melbourne Storm by 13 points or more (13 votes [30.23%])

Percentage of vote: 30.23%

Vote

#101 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

Storm by plenty

Edited by AndyCapp, 22 February 2013 - 01:04 AM.

#102 Paddsy

Paddsy
  • Players
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

Sir Kevin to show why he is the best in the world!!!

#103 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:44 AM

Martin Offiah just been interviewed about it on the radio. Managed to get England v All Blacks in. No talk about the match itself.

Biggest year in RL since 1895 apparently.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#104 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,202 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:02 AM

Martin Offiah was on the couch on BBC Breakfast TV this morning, talking about the WCC plus rugby league in general. He actually sounded articulate for once!

#105 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

Really looking forward to this one! Genuinely not bothered who wins, I'm just hoping for a blockbuster
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#106 High Peak Rhino

High Peak Rhino
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

Looking forward to a match being played in nice cold and crisp conditions just like the old days.
I didn't manage to get to Headingley at all last year so really looking forward to this.

#107 Grinner

Grinner
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

Martin Offiah just been interviewed about it on the radio. Managed to get England v All Blacks in. No talk about the match itself.

Biggest year in RL since 1895 apparently.

Heard the interview too, think that's a bit unfair on Offiah, he was going through a list of big sporting events of 2012, then listed the big RL events of 2013. He wasn't really asked about the WCC as game, but did deal with other british clubs winning it, and the history of the fixture, tehn moved on to the World Cup. Basically he sounded articulate and knowledgable for the Radio 4 audience that wouldn't know much about the sport itself, talking about the actaul game would really have been lost on most of the listeners.

#108 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

Heard the interview too, think that's a bit unfair on Offiah, he was going through a list of big sporting events of 2012, then listed the big RL events of 2013. He wasn't really asked about the WCC as game, but did deal with other british clubs winning it, and the history of the fixture, tehn moved on to the World Cup. Basically he sounded articulate and knowledgable for the Radio 4 audience that wouldn't know much about the sport itself, talking about the actaul game would really have been lost on most of the listeners.

Fair points, perhaps I was falling into the paranioa trap - it usually gets sprung when RU gets a mention in a RL piece.

On a slightly wider note the bit in bold really needs challenge. This is pretty much the exact stance taken by the BBC in broadcasting and schedulting the Super League show. To paraphrase - It's a northern sport and people in the south dont understand it and won't be interested. Radio 4, wonderful as it is, has a far higher concentration of listeners in the south than the north. A wishy washy general RL spout by Offiah would, for me, have been better served with some insight into the match itself. After all that's the event on tonight.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#109 High Peak Rhino

High Peak Rhino
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

Fair points, perhaps I was falling into the paranioa trap - it usually gets sprung when RU gets a mention in a RL piece.

On a slightly wider note the bit in bold really needs challenge. This is pretty much the exact stance taken by the BBC in broadcasting and schedulting the Super League show. To paraphrase - It's a northern sport and people in the south dont understand it and won't be interested. Radio 4, wonderful as it is, has a far higher concentration of listeners in the south than the north. A wishy washy general RL spout by Offiah would, for me, have been better served with some insight into the match itself. After all that's the event on tonight.

Offiah was 5Live a little later on and concentrated much more on tonights game than anything else.

#110 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

I remember it wasn't that long ago that many in the sport used to be quite apprehensive about the WCC. Around the time of Saints defeats of 38-0 and 44-12, it always felt like we were putting the reputation of our league on the line and when we got hammered it basically proved how far behind we were.

I think it says a lot about how our league has moved forward that you don't hear these opinions so much anymore. Personally I'm not deluded, I know the odds are stacked in British clubs favour but I also know that we're almost guaranteed a high-quality tight game. Sometimes we concentrate too much on the negatives around the sport and not things like this where we regularly compete with the best NRL clubs.

If we were to move it to Australia mid-season then yes I think many apprehensions would return, but for the moment I'm looking forward to a high-intensity game in front of a packed crowd with hopefully some magical moments!

#111 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

Debut's for Grubber and Steed tonight also..!

http://www.rlwc2013....er-and-steed-to

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#112 MattSantos

MattSantos
  • Coach
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

Any live streams? Overseas and on my iphone!

#113 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,096 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

Rhinos: Watkins, Vickery, Ablett, Moon, Hall, Sinfield, McGuire, Leuluai, Burrow, Peacock, Ward, Delaney, Jones-Buchanan
subs: Kirke, Clarkson, McShane, Achurch

Melbourne: Slater, Waqa, Chambers, O'Neill, Fonua, Widdop, Cronk, J Bromwich, Smith, Norrie, Harris, Hoffman, Hinchcliffe
subs: Ryles, Setu, Vave, Moors
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#114 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

Crikey, Jon Wells is rivalling Daniel Day-Lewis.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#115 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,373 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

Lol at eddie and stevo talking about how big the storm players are...."Yes well the australians do tend to...err...work out more than we do"

#116 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

Stevo's tie! :blink:

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#117 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,373 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

For the one and only time this season I'll say "gwan leeeds! Good luck and tear the ###### out of 'em!!!". :)

#118 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

For the one and only time this season I'll say "gwan leeeds! Good luck and tear the ###### out of 'em!!!". :)

same ere!

#119 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,373 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:12 PM

Ublucky mcguire...nice to see them out their 20

#120 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,164 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:13 PM