Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Featherstone V Hunslet.Sun 24th Feb 3pm K.O.

Match Thread

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

Poll: Match Prediction (35 member(s) have cast votes)

Win, Lose or Draw

1. Voted Featherstone To Win (29 votes [82.86%])

Percentage of vote: 82.86%

2. Hunslet To Win (5 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

3. Draw (1 votes [2.86%])

Percentage of vote: 2.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,090 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

everyone needs to calm down a bit, you can only play what's in front of you, that applies to both teams in both halves. last season hunslet heads would have dropped, but not this. and as i said on our fb page, people were on about marchy being old and fat and past it, but by heck he could teach us a lot about attitude, 100% nothing less. oh, and i thought hunslets scrum half was excellent today,
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#62 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:28 AM

I think some of the posts on here do appear a little aragant. Yes we missed chances but the determination of the Hunslet defense had a hand in some of those missed chanced, especially when chasing down Kain and Hardman.

We have seen that with Barrow and Hunslet teams are not going to lie down this year and I personnaly enjoy the challange. It's better than watching teams having a go than seeing a 70 point hammering every home game.

I think Lingard has already pointed that our defense was really poor when Finn departed. This is a bit worrying.
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#63 Simon Hall

Simon Hall
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

i think it was more to do with the rhino's rejects stepping on the gas after half time

Do you mean like Ben Kaye, Kyle Briggs & Darryl Powell type rejects or the players Hunslet have on dual-reg who Leeds actually see a future in?

Printing & Graphic Design - Nationwide
Leaflets | Flyers | Matchday Programmes | Business Cards | Letterheads | Brochures | Posters | plus much, much more!
T: 01904 765334 | E: info@alldesignandprint.co.uk

Official Matchday Magazine print & design partner to York City Knights, Hunslet Hawks & Dewsbury Rams

alldesignandprint.co.uk

#64 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

Think these Hunslet fans need to look up our recent history, 2006 we were 'taken over' by a group called 'Friends of Featherstone'. The FoF have spent years of hard work recruiting the right people, not just on the playing front. So far, its all clicked... people have wanted to join us because of the hard work put in by others before them.

So to say our club doesnt work hard is an absolute joke. The hard work came first, the sponsorship and investment came later. Good luck to Hunslet because iy seems like youre in the same place we were in 2006.

Cummins Out.

#65 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

I thought Rovers problem wasn't taking the foot off the gas, it was more like over playing every set. 100mph stuff instead of controlled rugby as in the first half led to chance after chance being bombed. With ten minutes left it was 7 tries to one and could and should have been a lot better than that, I think they became so frustrated with themselves they were just waiting for the hooter towards the end. Credit to Hunslet though, they never stopped trying. Must say I hate to see them with all those Rhinos players in their team, just doesn't seem right for such a great club.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#66 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

Do you mean like Ben Kaye, Kyle Briggs & Darryl Powell type rejects or the players Hunslet have on dual-reg who Leeds actually see a future in?

Ah, you mean players who Fev have 'control' over whether they are selected or not each week, who's training regimes fit in with the aims of the coach/club, as opposed to players who's availability is decided on the whim of persons from a different club who's aims are almost certainly not the same as the Hunslet club.

#67 maccca-6-

maccca-6-
  • Coach
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

Ah, you mean players who Fev have 'control' over whether they are selected or not each week, who's training regimes fit in with the aims of the coach/club, as opposed to players who's availability is decided on the whim of persons from a different club who's aims are almost certainly not the same as the Hunslet club.

I like how you avoided answering the question regarding your "leeds rejects". Come on what's your reply??
hunslet hawks champions 2010

#68 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

If I may I interject. ..
No-one gave fev owt here. In 2004/5 we were in admin and relegated to the bum end of the leagues. The club was on it's botty when tony kenny got mark campbell involved. The ckub has grafted it's @r se off to attract new money. Money from sponsors and investors. They didn't just show up saying here's a big wad!!!!
Mark campbell and his bod, the ceo and marketing manager are astute enough to fetch in money we were once only dreaming of.
The club has worked its nads off to pick itself up!!!

Plus having the backing and support of dedicated volunteers.

#69 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

everyone needs to calm down a bit, you can only play what's in front of you, that applies to both teams in both halves. last season hunslet heads would have dropped, but not this. and as i said on our fb page, people were on about marchy being old and fat and past it, but by heck he could teach us a lot about attitude, 100% nothing less. oh, and i thought hunslets scrum half was excellent today,

Who would that be,OR?.

#70 Rarefrith

Rarefrith
  • Coach
  • 548 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

If I may I interject. ..
No-one gave fev owt here. In 2004/5 we were in admin and relegated to the bum end of the leagues. The club was on it's botty when tony kenny got mark campbell involved. The ckub has grafted it's @r se off to attract new money. Money from sponsors and investors. They didn't just show up saying here's a big wad!!!!
Mark campbell and his bod, the ceo and marketing manager are astute enough to fetch in money we were once only dreaming of.
The club has worked its nads off to pick itself up!!!

Spot on comment Robin

In regards to yesterday, hopefully we will start to become more ruthless but we have got the be happy with 4 wins from 4. I thought Hellewell looked like a weak link when he came on at centre, got exposed numerous times in the last ten minutes.

I do also think some of our fans on here are coming across as arrogant, even heard people moaning yesterday that we were winning too easy. Unbelievable!

#71 ROVERS83

ROVERS83
  • Coach
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

i personally dont care how we win as long as we do win-if thats arrogant then so be it , we probably have the best squad in the league so we have every right to sing our charges praises , 4 from 4 and we aint firing on all cylinders , god help the team that we play when we do
is there life beyond fev--- andy thorpe

#72 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

Spot on comment Robin

In regards to yesterday, hopefully we will start to become more ruthless but we have got the be happy with 4 wins from 4. I thought Hellewell looked like a weak link when he came on at centre, got exposed numerous times in the last ten minutes.

I do also think some of our fans on here are coming across as arrogant, even heard people moaning yesterday that we were winning too easy. Unbelievable!

I cant see there ever be such a thing as an 'easy win', youll always have to work hard somewhere to get a big win, but bever easy.

Cummins Out.

#73 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

I think that the last 3 games have shown what happens when you are not at your absolute best. Hunslet are no push-overs, and having that extra bit of class doesn't mean you can ease off.
One thing I picked up on yesterday was the poor handling out on the left wing. Tommy Saxton should have had a hatful, but the ball either went behind him or he had to stop or jump to catch it rather than on the run. I don't know whether it was a poor pass every time? Maybe Tommy was too far forward on some occasions and only the video will show this up, but it needs tweaking.But at least we're creating more chances on Tommy's wing, maybe Briggsy has finally learned to play down the left, because he had a cracker yesterday?

#74 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,090 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

Who would that be,OR?.

if you have to ask, then it's not you Bob ;)
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#75 K.Loxton

K.Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

Did you fev fans watch the same game, before the game when everyone was calling you big headed I was all for sticking up for you, but the comments in hear are just a joke.

Hunslet gifted you 4/5 tries in the first half with individual errors, granted some of these errors were down to good pressure from yourselves but others were just bad reads by defenders. 2nd half Hunslet cut out these errors and actually got 50% of the ball, first half you had about 70% of the ball, hence coming back into the game.

P.s.
You won the penalty count.

Hunslet were slowing our PTB right down, got several cheap shots in and Fev missing 5-6 great chances all contributed to what happened late on due to pure frustration!!!! And yes we did win the penalty count 8-6 but it's the penalties the ref doesn't give that matter sometimes ;);)

I wouldn't be too bothered if we lost the 2nd half every week as long as we take the 3 points :):):)
No matter what the result, always a true Fev fan.
"COME ON LADS MAKE US PROUD"

#76 noname6

noname6
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

Hunslet were slowing our PTB right down, got several cheap shots in and Fev missing 5-6 great chances all contributed to what happened late on due to pure frustration!!!! And yes we did win the penalty count 8-6 but it's the penalties the ref doesn't give that matter sometimes ;) ;)

I wouldn't be too bothered if we lost the 2nd half every week as long as we take the 3 points :) :) :)

you having a laugh talking about slowing the play the ball down, you got away with lying on for 6/7 seconds every tackle and the amount of second efforts you put in was ridiculous but then again that's the main difference between the teams, you guys were smart enough to realise that the ref wasn't giving penalties for it, were as hunslet players didn't so were getting bashed around the ruck.

as for the penalty count, hunslet got 4 on the bounce in the last 10 minutes and was 8-1 at that point.

#77 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

you having a laugh talking about slowing the play the ball down, you got away with lying on for 6/7 seconds every tackle and the amount of second efforts you put in was ridiculous but then again that's the main difference between the teams, you guys were smart enough to realise that the ref wasn't giving penalties for it, were as hunslet players didn't so were getting bashed around the ruck.

as for the penalty count, hunslet got 4 on the bounce in the last 10 minutes and was 8-1 at that point.

Calm down the games over we won end of whether we were good. Bad or the ref was good or bad etc. the 3 points are on the board and that's all that matters. But you were never going to win the game I thought after the first 10 mins our class shone in abundance in the first half and whether we eased off or bombed chances or whatever we were always in control of the game from 10 mins into it all way through to the end even though you scored them late try's. I'm very confident that if the game was closer come the last 10 mins you wouldn't have scored them late try's 😉.

#78 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

On the duel reg argument, if teams want to do it fair enough, but in my opinion it will only harm the team, long term. I remember when we had Hardaker on loan, we were at the mercy of Leeds and in the end most of the fans wished him luck but were glad when he finally went permanently to Leeds. The team settled down, we were fortunate to get the services of Ben Cockayne who was unattached and the rest of the season is history.

The worrying thing for me is two fold;
A) A team can be too reliant on a battery of DR players and a huge vacuum can be left at a minute's notice should the players be recalled but that's the risk you take. However, this has a secondary effect that you boys at Hunslet are beginning to see the start of, namely the disillusionment of first team bread and butter players, lads may not be Super League standard but give their all for the club.

Look at Joe Mclocklan a great honest professional, travelling from Hull for training and matchday only to see Liam Hood drafted in on DR or loan or whatever and I believe this must have had a bearing on him not re-signing.

Liam Welham ( the same guy who has lost a set of teeth, broken his nose and has had dentures embedded in his skull, as well has giving his m.o.m champagne to an elderly lady in the terrace) same coming over from Hull, sees Jimmy Keinhorst in his spot, what's that going to do for Liam's morale?

A good solid pro like Jimmy Houston, " Errr sorry James ... Er Kylie's playing today, can theee carry't watter?"

Lee Mapals, I met Lee , smashing lad, lot of time for him, worked hard to get a second chance in game, solid pro. What chance Lee getting a look in now Jamel Chisholm's arrived ?

And finally Mr. Reliable, steady hardworking pro Stuart Kain, "thanks but no thanks Stu we've got Jimmy now."
That's what gets me about the DR system, lads just going to the wall on the whim of a team's system.

Edited by Andrew Vause, 25 February 2013 - 07:58 PM.

#79 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

What a ridiculous argument. You forgot to include Kainy by the way, Leeds Academy like Kaye and Briggs. You may as well chuck in Ryan Sheridan as well. Who's amp by the way? Was he the guy with electric pace? I don't think he's in the CURRENT squad. I'll get my coat and leave puns like that to you Col.

Edited by Andrew Vause, 25 February 2013 - 08:11 PM.

#80 noname6

noname6
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

On the duel reg argument, if teams want to do it fair enough, but in my opinion it will only harm the team, long term. I remember when we had Hardaker on loan, we were at the mercy of Leeds and in the end most of the fans wished him luck but were glad when he finally went permanently to Leeds. The team settled down, we were fortunate to get the services of Ben Cockayne who was unattached and the rest of the season is history.

The worrying thing for me is two fold;
A) A team can be too reliant on a battery of DR players and a huge vacuum can be left at a minute's notice should the players be recalled but that's the risk you take. However, this has a secondary effect that you boys at Hunslet are beginning to see the start of, namely the disillusionment of first team bread and butter players, lads may not be Super League standard but give their all for the club.

Look at Joe Mclocklan a great honest professional, travelling from Hull for training and matchday only to see Liam Hood drafted in on DR or loan or whatever and I believe this must have had a bearing on him not re-signing.

Liam Welham ( the same guy who has lost a set of teeth, broken his nose and has had dentures embedded in his skull, as well has giving his m.o.m champagne to an elderly lady in the terrace) same coming over from Hull, sees Jimmy Keinhorst in his spot, what's that going to do for Liam's morale?

A good solid pro like Jimmy Houston, " Errr sorry James ... Er Kylie's playing today, can theee carry't watter?"

Lee Mapals, I met Lee , smashing lad, lot of time for him, worked hard to get a second chance in game, solid pro. What chance Lee getting a look in now Jamel Chisholm's arrived ?

And finally Mr. Reliable, steady hardworking pro Stuart Kain, "thanks but no thanks Stu we've got Jimmy now."
That's what gets me about the DR system, lads just going to the wall on the whim of a team's system.

would that be
Mclocklan who turned down a offer well before DR
Welham who is injury
Houston who's played every game
Mapels who is seeming behind brickwood, pryce & bush
Kain who has played 2 games and lost his spot to injury

must try harder