Excuses

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

I wasn't able to make the game yesterday due to family commitments but I cannot believe the amount of excuses being made about the referee, forward passes, sin-binnings etc. Surely 42-4 tells it's own story? Is this just sour grapes from York fans or were they miraculously THAT hard done by?!!

#2 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

Sadly Chairman it's the norm these days. rather than look towards the failings of their own teams, supporters look elsewhere for excuses. One guy on the York forum reckons it was closer to 24-16! A Swinton supporter reckons they should have had a bonus point against Sheffield despite conceding 40+ points in the second half.
How often do we see supporters getting their excuses in early even before they have played? Every referee has a grudge against almost every team in the division, and even worse, the controller of referees controls their every decision to ensure the results he wants, like a rugby version of the Matrix!

Ironically, when watching matches on Premier Sports, it's amazing how fair handed, and usually correct, the referees are.

Edited by distantdog, 18 February 2013 - 08:54 PM.

#3 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:01 PM

I dont know y york fans complained at the sinbinning as the captain was told no more infringments. So when brown argued with the refs decsion that was enough for the ref to sin bin him. Also wander when gareth ellis will turn out for york the dual reg isnt supposed to be to get so called superstars or isit :-)

#4 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 890 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:52 PM

the ref had a decent game and to be fair he were helped many times in the game by his touchies and that dont always happen. he pulled us for a couple a forward pass,s same as york, second half he tried to make a game of it and let a few things go yorks way but they couldent keep up with the pace and fitness of batley so had to lay on and mess about at the play a the ball hence all the extra sets they gave away, if the game hadent been slowed down so much in the first half we would have put another 20+ on the scoreboard and the way we played yesterday we could a turned any team. were well drilled and play as a team were as york couldent read what was happening and threw the teddy out far too much, how many times did brisco break and dident get support as he had pace to burn. i would bet york would play a better game without any dr player in the mix.

#5 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,652 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:43 AM

I've often noticed how much better the refereeing is in games where I don't care who wins. :rolleyes:
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#6 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

As Silverback has said, I also thought the ref was ok. York had problems trying the control our forward momentum and resorted to holding down which he frequently penalised, until eventually he warned the captain about it. He maybe missed some forward passes but pulled us back from a couple of scores and the touch judges also adjudged that two further scores were offside from the kicks, these were marginal decisions also and could have gone either way.

York obviously suffered from the injuries they sustained but, to me, it looked as if their fitness levels were not up to ours and this meant they were overrun up front. On the occasions they did get the ball out wide they looked quite nippy but these occasions were few and far between.

#7 Philius T Wilderbeest

Philius T Wilderbeest
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

One post amused me greatly. Basically, it listed every single 'what if' that would have led to a closer scoreline - and possibly even a York win. Practically the only thing missing from this list was the possibility that if a meteorite had landed on the pitch in the 20th minute - destroying the stadium and wiping out players and fans alike, then York would have been in receipt of a bonus point.

#8 bulldogtrev

bulldogtrev
  • Coach
  • 411 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:12 PM

Here is a few excuses from the past from other sports. It is not just York Supporters who look for excuses when there team does not play as expected. I am sure there are some other examples from Rugby League but I can not think of any at the moment.

Lee Chapman once blamed missing a sitter in front of goal on Hunslet rugby club having churned up the pitch at Elland Road. However Hunslet where not playing there at that point.

Ronnie O'Sullivan claimed the reason he missed an easy red was......he was put off by a telly tubby in the crowd!

When Newcastle United drew at Stevenage in the FA cup in 1998, A furious Kenny Dalglish said that the "balls were too bouncy!"

Edited by bulldogtrev, 19 February 2013 - 08:15 PM.

"Anyone who does not watch rugby league is not a real person."

-John Singleton,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users