Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hemel Stags 22-42 Gateshead Thunder

Gateshead Thunder Hemel Stags

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,291 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

Best I get onto Hemel and demand my season ticket money and membership back as they are
going to be so uncompetitive
Lets at least wait till the season starts ............................EH.

I didn't say that they would be uncompetitive because they aren't the only new side joining. I just expect there to be a big contrast between old sides and new sides. It will take a few seasons to bridge the gap.

#22 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 465 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

If Hemel and the All Golds get off to bad starts I can just picture the general moaning and nashing of teeth amongst the heartland brigade - what a waste of time,it'll never catch on etc etc. This sport is so parochial is does........my..........head..............in
I was there for the friendly against Gateshead,enjoyed it and am really looking forward to the season. If Hemel finish 8th or 9th then so be it, onwards and upwards. They've got far more going for them long term than many championship heartland clubs, success will happen but nobody at the club is under any illusions that it'll be instant. The Stags are off to Oxford next weekend, that'll be interesting to see how they get on against last years Oldham team ;-)
Was impressed by Thunder's travelling army of 5 or so. Very vocal, great great fans who did their club credit.

#23 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,343 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

Its also true. To get beat by a team which consistantly inished bottom of the division, by 20 points indicates it could be a long season for the newcomers. Aterall, we reglarly see likes of Thunder knocked out of Challenge Cup by amature opposition, whichsays it al really.

How regularly does this happen?

What is this year's Thunder side like compared to last year's?

The fact that there are 3 new sides at least means that they should have a number of competitive fixtures. In fact, I consider this to be a competitive fixture - 20 points is nothing in RL.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#24 Quinskolar

Quinskolar
  • Coach
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

Championship One is going to be fascinating. NWC have recruited well, Oldham and Rochdale will surely be up there and the Skolars are very confident. Add in a revitalised Gateshead and the free-spending 'wildcard' Oxford, that is a good mix for the play-offs, South Wales could also make the play-offs. Hemel will be fine, they are building from the roots up and will get stronger, with some dual reg players. UGAG will have plenty of players (they run 6 teams) and will be a path-way for players from the South west.

#25 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,817 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

Championship One is going to be fascinating. NWC have recruited well, Oldham and Rochdale will surely be up there and the Skolars are very confident. Add in a revitalised Gateshead and the free-spending 'wildcard' Oxford, that is a good mix for the play-offs, South Wales could also make the play-offs. Hemel will be fine, they are building from the roots up and will get stronger, with some dual reg players. UGAG will have plenty of players (they run 6 teams) and will be a path-way for players from the South west.

I have to admit I'm more interested in this division than I have been for a long time. I think it helps that there are four teams - Oxford, All Golds, South Wales and Hemel within relatively easy reach of Bristol (Hemel is a bit of a trek but less of a trip than heading up North to watch games). It should also be pretty competitive, with a few tight contests. I'm looking forward to heading to see the All Golds in the NRC in a week or two.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#26 THUNDERNEWS

THUNDERNEWS
  • Coach
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

we reglarly see likes of Thunder knocked out of Challenge Cup by amature opposition, whichsays it al really.

Just for reference, here's where Thunder were knocked out in each year:

2001 - Whitehaven Rnd 4
2002 - Featherstone Rnd 3
2003 - Union Treiziste Catalane Rnd 3
2004 - Limoux Rnd 3
2005 - Union Treiziste Catalane Rnd 3
2006 - London Skolars Rnd 3
2007 - Salford Rnd 4
2008 - Pia XIII Rnd 3
2009 - St Helens Quarter Final
2010 - York City Knights Rnd 3
2011 - Harlequins Rnd 4
2012 - Swinton Rnd 4
GATESHEAD THUNDER
www.ThunderRugby.com

2011 The Co-operative Championships Community Programme of the Year
2009 Carnegie Challenge Cup Quarter Finalists
2008 The Co-operative National League 2 Champions

TWITTER - @ThunderRugby
EMAIL - info@ThunderRugby.com

#27 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:00 PM

Four teams beaten by amateurs since 2005. Workington, Dewsbury, Doncaster and London Skolars. What cup have you been watching?

#28 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:13 AM

I have to admit I'm more interested in this division than I have been for a long time. I think it helps that there are four teams - Oxford, All Golds, South Wales and Hemel within relatively easy reach of Bristol (Hemel is a bit of a trek but less of a trip than heading up North to watch games). It should also be pretty competitive, with a few tight contests. I'm looking forward to heading to see the All Golds in the NRC in a week or two.

Is there a few of you who travel to watch RL ?

#29 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,291 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

What is this year's Thunder side like compared to last year's?

The fact that there are 3 new sides at least means that they should have a number of competitive fixtures. In fact, I consider this to be a competitive fixture - 20 points is nothing in RL.

It was competitive but Gateshead themselves have not been competitive in CC1 since they went bust and reformed. I'm hoping that this is because Gateshead have improved because otherwise the whole division could be lopsided with a lot of blow-outs.

#30 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,291 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

If Hemel and the All Golds get off to bad starts I can just picture the general moaning and nashing of teeth amongst the heartland brigade - what a waste of time,it'll never catch on etc etc. This sport is so parochial is does........my..........head..............in

I'm not having a go at Hemel, who are a model club as far as I am concerned. I'm bemoaning the lack of a decent league pyramid system in British rugby league. In a perfect world, there wouldn't be huge jumps between one division and another. I don't think there is much alternative to what the RFL have done though.

#31 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

That's a litle too critical Sol for a team playing first time in a higher div.Give them time to settle and adapt.

It's a fact thou.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#32 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,817 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

Is there a few of you who travel to watch RL ?

I used to go with Phil C quite regularly, but he's busier with work so doesn't travel up North as much on weekends. I try and get to games when I can, though aside from internationals it's not as often as I'd like. Hopefully I might be reporting on some of the All Golds games this year, so will get to see them a lot. If not, I'll still go (and head to Oxford on occasions)
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#33 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

I used to go with Phil C quite regularly, but he's busier with work so doesn't travel up North as much on weekends. I try and get to games when I can, though aside from internationals it's not as often as I'd like. Hopefully I might be reporting on some of the All Golds games this year, so will get to see them a lot. If not, I'll still go (and head to Oxford on occasions)

Fair play to you mate, enjoy.

Do you ever take any newbies to the sport and if yes what is their general reaction ?