Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Shoulder charge banned (merged threads)

RFL media release

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#1 Blotto

Blotto
  • Coach
  • 577 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:15 AM

Playing into the hands of Union?

http://www.nrl.com/r...98/default.aspx

Sod Hall rear end lickers will be following suit listen out for slurping tongues!

Edited by John Drake, 21 February 2013 - 12:19 PM.
thread title amended to avoid this becoming a troll-beacon

If you like old type radio comedy/drama's etc listen to http://pumpkinfm.com/

#2 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:19 AM

http://www.nrl.com/r...98/default.aspx

Sod Hall rear end lickers will be following suit listen out for slurping tongues!

That's the most disturbing line I've ever read on here.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#3 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,278 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:00 AM

That's the most disturbing line I've ever read on here.

I'm just devestated to learn that we've got rid of the play-the-ball, added two extra players, put in line outs and insisted that none of our players are trained in the art of 'catching a football' and must instead learn about 'dark arts', subtle nuancies and the biscuit game.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#4 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:00 AM

the ARLC,NRL or now the RLIF still have'nt told us what constitutes a "shoulder charge"

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#5 Blotto

Blotto
  • Coach
  • 577 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:06 AM

the ARLC,NRL or now the RLIF still have'nt told us what constitutes a "shoulder charge"

To overcome this the Sports Administrators have allowed sneering at your opponent instead, but if the opponent burst into tears the perpertrator is yellow carded!
If you like old type radio comedy/drama's etc listen to http://pumpkinfm.com/

#6 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,278 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:10 AM

Yes, apart from this bit of the new rules they are being totally silent.

The definition of an illegal shoulder charge is: “Where a defender, without attempting to tackle, grabs or holds the ball-carrier (or any opposing player) using the arms or hands, makes direct physical contact using the shoulder or the upper arm (tucked into the side)”
- Severus, July 2012

#7 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:21 AM

you got a link to that???

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#8 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,451 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

I think the shoulder charge should be banned because it causes an extra risk of injury to both the tackler and the tackled player. That overrides any concerns about whether or not we are following RU's lead by banning it.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#9 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,089 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:46 AM

Tbh there have been a couple of challenges already this year which have made it more difficult to argue against a ban.

#10 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:47 AM

The World Cup is months away and the Aussies are already stacking the deck in there favour.

#11 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,089 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

The World Cup is months away and the Aussies are already stacking the deck in there favour.

i suggest we ban it in sl.

If it is banned internatiinally we are only screwing ourselves by being stubborn.

#12 brooza

brooza
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

Tbh there have been a couple of challenges already this year which have made it more difficult to argue against a ban.

And they've all been shots to the head. Which are already banned.
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#13 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,278 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

i suggest we ban it in sl.

If it is banned internatiinally we are only screwing ourselves by being stubborn.

But where will we get our moral superiority and non-whinging reasons for defeat from then?
- Severus, July 2012

#14 brooza

brooza
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

But where will we get our moral superiority and non-whinging reasons for defeat from then?

All the drugs that they're all on
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#15 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,089 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

And they've all been shots to the head. Which are already banned.

But the issue is that a shoulder charge going wrong is much worse than a 'normal' tackle going wrong in general.

The hit on O'Brien at the weekend didn't really look high - initial impact looked shoulder to shoulder and the whiplash effect caused him to be knocked out - this isn;t great. Add this to the two players knocked out with purely illegal shoulder charges in the head and there is a real issue here waiting to happen.

#16 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

So what happens if a player does a shoulder charge? Penalty or penalty and a card?

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#17 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,278 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

So what happens if a player does a shoulder charge? Penalty or penalty and a card?

What was it in the All Stars game? Just a penalty?
- Severus, July 2012

#18 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

you got a link to that???

Just to be clear, the definition gingerjon gave is not new. It has been in the ARL rule book for many years because it was already banned there for under 18s.

You can find last season's version laws on the NRL web site.

#19 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

What was it in the All Stars game? Just a penalty?

Mmmunno. I didn't watch it.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#20 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

I think it’s now pretty much indefensible to retain the charge. I suspect the RFL’s only real reason for steering their own course was the slightly childish desire of not wanting to face criticism for following the bigger and better NRL’s lead. There was sports science behind the NRL’s decision and the first few rounds of SL have seen some dubious hits, as did the first few rounds last year. For once Stevo has it right on his Sky page – we want to be encouraging more kids to take up RL and bigger, harder and more dubious clatters to their upper torso are not really the best way to go about that. Yes we all like a big hit but there are still legal ways to do that and ultimately it has to be about putting the safety of our lads above the blood lust of the spectators.

In general I think refs are being too lenient on dangerous tackles just now. I keep seeing numerous cases of legs being raised above the perpendicular in every game but have yet to see one sin binning. That’s a slightly different argument as it’s about implementation of adequate rulings rather than poor rulings themselves but I’m personally a bit worried about the general direction the game is taking and fear that it’ll take a bad injury before we reassess the macho tough guy stance coming out of RFL headquarters of late. Sincerely hope I’m wrong.