Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Shoulder charge banned (merged threads)

RFL media release

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#41 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

So does this mean the end of the shoulder barge, where two players running in the same direction can use their shoulders to barge the opponent off his running line?
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#42 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

so it gets banned 4 days before the wcc game thus giving melbourne a massive lift and forcing leeds to change there tackling drills at short notice .
why did they even need a short notice video conference about it they shoud have waited until there next regular meeting in june

Are they likely to incorporate shoulder charges in their tackling drills?

rldfsignature.jpg

#43 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 666 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

If banning shoulder charges is giving Melbourne a massive lift their players must be in a terribly awful state coming into this match. If Leeds are so dependent on shoulder charges I would be very worried for them. Though shoulder charges or not will in reality change very little.

#44 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

Is there any other sport in the world where a competition in one country can change its rules, and then the "international governing body" decide to discuss such a rule change, a couple of months after said competition has already made the change?..

If the RFL are serious about stopping dangerous tackles to the head, which they clearly are not, all they have to do is dish out some proper sentences to the offenders, and they'll soon see a change.

We'll still see swinging arms and players using the head in a tackle and such like, all because the RFL haven't got the nuts to dish out appropriate bans.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#45 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,141 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

Is there any other sport in the world where a competition in one country can change its rules, and then the "international governing body" decide to discuss such a rule change, a couple of months after said competition has already made the change?

I believe that in ice hockey the NHL makes up its own rules which may or may not follow what the rest of the world does.

People who know more than me might confirm that.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#46 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

I believe that in ice hockey the NHL makes up its own rules which may or may not follow what the rest of the world does.

People who know more than me might confirm that.

Not sure about that but I do know from my more general exposure to US sport that the NHL isn't afraid to make new rules or amend existing ones "on the fly" (to use an ice hockey term) and have even done so during the play-offs in recent years. The general opinion on their discussion shows (Pardon The Interruption and the like) is that this is a good rather than bad thing and they receive plaudits for it. They (the NHL) recognise that ice hockey (like rugby league) is an evolving sport witnessing breakthroughs in player fitness/stamina etc. and that what fit the bill 10 or even 5 years ago rule-wise doesn't necessarily now.

Would be interested to know how many of the shoulder charge advocates actually play/played the game. It's easy to scream for maximum carnage for our own gratification from the sidelines isn't it?

#47 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,421 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

So does this mean the end of the shoulder barge, where two players running in the same direction can use their shoulders to barge the opponent off his running line?

Only if an English player does it to an Australian when Tony Archer is officiating. ;)

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#48 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,077 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

Presumably that is still allowable because it can't be classed as a tackle. If it was classed as a tackle, it would never have been allowed in the first place as it would constitute tackling a man who did not have the ball.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#49 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,077 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

does it?

can you back that up with some facts, statistics and scientific data

Apparently the ARLC have some. As dhw says, the mechanics of the shoulder barge action means that the collision-momentum of both tackler and tacklee is focussed to impact on a smaller part of their bodies than would be the case if the tackler had raised his arms and, by doing so, flattened the point of his shoulders to effect a conventional tackle.
I think that it's also harder to jump into making a conventional tackle than into a shoulder charge.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#50 BulldogBurt

BulldogBurt
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

Shoulder charge now banned by RFL effective this weekend onwards

"To all Match Officials

The RFL Board of Directors have today agreed to the Law change that will
mean that the shoulder charge will not be a legal tackle in all RFL games
with immediate effect.

Anyone making a tackle must now do so using the arms or hands. Failure to do
this will result in a penalty being awarded. This applies to "hits" on the
ball carrier, hits on a player who has passed the ball, "hitting on
suspicion" and challenges on the kicker.

I have also attached the Referee Policy with guidelines on the shoulder
charge and the an updated version of the Laws of the Game.

While I appreciate that all this is very short notice I am confident that
you will be able to manage the situation this weekend with your usual
professional approach.

Stuart

Stuart Cummings

Match Officials Director"

I received the above email a couple of minutes ago

#51 BulldogBurt

BulldogBurt
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

No, this was specifically addressed as part of the above communication and is still deemed ok.

#52 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

<snip>

I presume the email didn't end with small print, something like "this email is confidential and privileged and intended only for the stated addressee(s)"?!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#53 BulldogBurt

BulldogBurt
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

I presume the email didn't end with small print, something like "this email is confidential and privileged and intended only for the stated addressee(s)"?!

No, it was a circular from NWC containing the email above, it's hardly going to be a secret is it?? Jesus wept...

#54 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

No, it was a circular from NWC containing the email above, it's hardly going to be a secret is it?? Jesus wept...

;) I'm only pulling thy leg. I hope someone has told the coaches!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#55 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

So what's the ruling for trying to bump someone into touch in the act of scoring a try? Penalty try?

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#56 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,421 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

Sam Burgess, sitting on the fence, there.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#57 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

St Helens’ Jon Wilkin, chairman of League 13, said: “We balloted 305 players and not one player came back and said they were in favour of it being banned.”

Haha!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#58 BulldogBurt

BulldogBurt
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

;) I'm only pulling thy leg. I hope someone has told the coaches!

Apologies, difficult to tell on here hence why I don't post a lot! I am a junior coach so I'd hope they told the important ones first!

#59 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,062 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

St Helens’ Jon Wilkin, chairman of League 13, said: “We balloted 305 players and not one player came back and said they were in favour of it being banned.”

Haha!

I wonder what the question was, when it was asked, when the ballot was closed and if it was a secret ballot.

or else it was , " eh up sithee.. You OK wi' shoulder charge?" " depends how much it is."

Edited by JohnM, 20 February 2013 - 05:08 PM.

#60 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

Shoulder charge now banned by RFL effective this weekend onwards

"To all Match Officials

The RFL Board of Directors have today agreed to the Law change that will
mean that the shoulder charge will not be a legal tackle in all RFL games
with immediate effect.

Anyone making a tackle must now do so using the arms or hands. Failure to do
this will result in a penalty being awarded. This applies to "hits" on the
ball carrier, hits on a player who has passed the ball, "hitting on
suspicion" and challenges on the kicker.

I have also attached the Referee Policy with guidelines on the shoulder
charge and the an updated version of the Laws of the Game.

While I appreciate that all this is very short notice I am confident that
you will be able to manage the situation this weekend with your usual
professional approach.

Stuart Cummings
Match Officials Director"

I received the above email a couple of minutes ago

This will result in an absolute pantomime!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users