Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Shoulder charge banned (merged threads)

RFL media release

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#81 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,483 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

that wasnt poorly timed, it was a minute late on a player fully relaxed almost identical to scrutons on o'brien but 1 got let off n the other got 4 matches

If it's late,it's poorly timed.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#82 mmp

mmp
  • Coach
  • 382 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

All the replies and tweets from current players at my club (Low level amateur club) are against the ban.

Same for our lads...players want the shoulder charge to remain
In Bury or North Manchester? Interested in Rugby League? Check out the Rugby League in Bury web-site: http://www.pitchero....bs/burybroncos/

#83 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,134 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

Still, it's stopped people moaning about Dual Registration.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#84 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,483 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

Still, it's stopped people moaning about Dual Registration.

For the time being ;)
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#85 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

Here's an idea - let's wait and see how it pans out

oh sorry this is Rugby League.....moan, moan, moan, moan, moan, moan.....

Oh sorry, this is North Korea.

Are people not allowed to vent their frustrations at something they like enjoy taken out of the game?

This isn't like the dual-reg thing or licensing where it very much is a 'let's see how it goes' thing, this is something that fans (and players) know they like that has been taken away.

Whether you agree or not, make the point rather than just making sarkey comments about the nature of the discussion. The RFL could make the game tick and pass and your point would still be the same.

#86 Blotto

Blotto
  • Coach
  • 577 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

Knocking the Skin off a Rice Pudding is next in line to be Banned!!!

Apprently the makers of Pampers are thinking of becoming the next SL Sponsor!

Edited by Blotto, 20 February 2013 - 10:12 PM.

If you like old type radio comedy/drama's etc listen to http://pumpkinfm.com/

#87 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,938 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

We've almost had one fatality this season,Theo Fages stopped breathing from a poorly timed shoulder charge.Would you prefer it if someone actually died.

yes I want them to die. At least two players a game, one a side.
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#88 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

We've almost had one fatality this season,Theo Fages stopped breathing from a poorly timed shoulder charge.Would you prefer it if someone actually died.

What absolute claptrap, the only thing that statement illustrates is that few people actually know what constitutes a shoulder charge.

The attack on Fages was late, high and almost premeditated, it was not a shoulder charge.
It was an illegal challenge before today's stupid rule change and if a thug wants to enact that sort of challenge he'll do it whether a bans in place or not.

Edited by OMEGA, 20 February 2013 - 11:16 PM.

#89 Town Globetrotter

Town Globetrotter
  • Coach
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:54 PM

It's my guess that generally, those calling for the abolishment of the shoulder charge, are people who have never set foot on a rugby league field. Some current Super League coaches keep being referred to as being opposed to the shoulder charge; however I wouldn't be surprised if their viewpoints were simply based on the fact that they are not medical practitioners and thus feel unqualified to challenge the ban and/or the research performed by Aussies.

Personally I would like to examine the medical data/report. Those in favour of the ban are hiding behind "player safety" and the heralded medical data. This article by the Brisbane Times certainly raises a few eyebrows and as a sport we need to examine the medical data and the report's concluding arguments very carefully.

http://www.brisbanet...1123-29ypk.html

#90 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:12 AM

I blame the ARL, anyone got some pitchforks handy?

Edited by kioli, 21 February 2013 - 06:13 AM.

#91 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,005 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:26 AM

Oh sorry, this is North Korea.

Are people not allowed to vent their frustrations at something they like enjoy taken out of the game?

This isn't like the dual-reg thing or licensing where it very much is a 'let's see how it goes' thing, this is something that fans (and players) know they like that has been taken away.

Whether you agree or not, make the point rather than just making sarkey comments about the nature of the discussion. The RFL could make the game tick and pass and your point would still be the same.

No it's north Korea but sometimes I reckon fans of the game over there would be more open minded than people like you
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#92 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,134 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:28 AM

It's bad parenting from first the NRL, Nanny Rugby League, and now the RFL.

One or two don't play nicely so everyone has their toys taken away.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#93 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:37 AM

It's my guess that generally, those calling for the abolishment of the shoulder charge, are people who have never set foot on a rugby league field. Some current Super League coaches keep being referred to as being opposed to the shoulder charge; however I wouldn't be surprised if their viewpoints were simply based on the fact that they are not medical practitioners and thus feel unqualified to challenge the ban and/or the research performed by Aussies.

Personally I would like to examine the medical data/report. Those in favour of the ban are hiding behind "player safety" and the heralded medical data. This article by the Brisbane Times certainly raises a few eyebrows and as a sport we need to examine the medical data and the report's concluding arguments very carefully.

http://www.brisbanet...1123-29ypk.html

Really interesting article. Shame we don't get that kind of journalism this side of the rugby league world.

#94 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

The Shoulder Charge
· Shoulder Charge – is where a defender, without attempting to tackle, grab or hold the ball-carrier (or any opposing player) using the arms or hands, makes direct physical contact with the shoulder or the upper arm (tucked into the side).

· Match Officials should look for hip rotation from the defender and the tucking of the arm into the side. If contact is made with and opponent with or without the ball then a penalty should be awarded. If contact is made with the head of an opponent then the player should be dismissed from the field of play.

· A player should always attempt to tackle using the arms or hands and therefore any player who uses a shoulder charge on a supporting player or a kicker should be treated in the same way as someone who shoulder charges a ball carrier.

· If two players are running side by side, near to and towards the ball, it is permissible for one to make contact with the other with the shoulder.

http://www.yorkshire...charge-outlawed

Thanks for this. The original definition sounded a bit limited to me. The hits I approve of are those like one our new lad Corey Paterson put on a Widnes lad at the weekend where he came up to the ball carrier square on and smashed him chest-to-chest. There was no use of the shoulder but at the same time no real use of the arms or hands either (save to say his arms were available to wrap the player up if needed). I’d be reluctant to see those hits outlawed (Adrian Morley was a master of these in his NRL days too) as they take great skill and courage to carry out and by their nature are less dangerous than shoulder charges as there’s little risk of collision with the head. It’s a good “rib rattler” for me but by the sound of the initial definition this type of hit would also be outlawed, although this suggests maybe it’s OK.

Can anyone clarify this? Grey area?

#95 clement

clement
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

Heres an artists impression of the meeting at RFL hq when the shoulder charge was banned.

Attached Files

Edited by clement, 21 February 2013 - 09:48 AM.

#96 clement

clement
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

And heres my amateur teams new kit,just need a sponsor now.Anyone got any appropriate ideas for a company we could contact?

Attached Files

#97 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

No it's north Korea but sometimes I reckon fans of the game over there would be more open minded than people like you

Still no substance then?

What exactly is there to be open-minded about? This isn't a new rule, this isn't something that needs to be trialed to see how it goes. This is something that has been removed. It cannot improve the game as a spectacle as there is nothing new, at best it will not be particularly noticeable. So what am I being open minded about, the prospect that I won't notice it's gone?

There is obviously a genuine grievance here. I've already pointed out that the most watched Rugby League videos are dominated by shoulder charges. The Burgess hit on Fuifui is the most watched British RL video with 850,000 views. We are now saying that what he did is illegal and cannot be repeated. Do you honestly think that had Burgess give him a legal hit with the arms it would have had the same impact and been a Youtube success?

To put it into further perspective, the NRL produces compilations of tries of the week and hits of the week. Hits of the week are dominated by shoulder charges. This in itself is acceptance of the appeal of the shoulder charge. They don't have 'good tackles of the week,' or 'kicks of the week.' They focus on the big hit, because they know that it is popular.

I can understand the medical aspect although I don't agree with it. However, I don't understand the attempted playing down of the SC, as if it is a minor part of the game. There might not be many of them per game but there aren't many goals in a game of Football.

I certainly don't understand the idea that people can't be peeved about it or those that use arguments that would be the same if they banned tackling or scoring tries.

Edited by Maximus Decimus, 21 February 2013 - 10:03 AM.

#98 brooza

brooza
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

A poorly timed high shot
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#99 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

A poorly timed high shot

Exactly, there are just as dangerous aspects of the game. Spear tackles or head high tackles for instance, do we never see them in the game despite their being banned?

Rugby League is a rough, tough game and that is the appeal for many. Some people would love to think that the appeal is all about the skill and the tries but the reality is far from that. People are attracted to the game because it is a hard game that most fans couldn't play. The big hit and shoulder charge is a big part of this. We shouldn't be afraid to say this as if it is somehow barbaric.

If you start focusing on player safety in this way, the inevitable conclusion is that we will end up with a much watered down and much less appealing version of RL. There are always going to be injuries in RL and unfortunately some of them will be serious. It's the nature of the beast and one of the risks RL players take. If we eliminate this we will end up with a sport that isn't RL. It will be tick and pass and even then there would still be the odd serious injury.

What happens if we have two broken necks this year from spear tackles and other serious injuries from high shots? Will we change the rules so that you cannot tackle around the legs and cannot tackles around the chest? Or we will we do what we should have done here. Punish the poorly executed examples severely.

A good analogy would be with boxing. Yes, people enjoy the boxing skills but they also like it because it is two men trying to knock each other. They could make it much safer and effectively make it amateur boxing but it would lose a lot of its appeal.

#100 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,134 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

I'm not sure if I'll actually miss it that much to be honest.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users