Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Castleford Tigers CEO Steve Ferres resigns

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#21 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

Not necessarily; the wording doesn't make it clear if they are actually opposed to his plans, or they simply don't have the resources to put them into effect. I expect things will be made clearer in the next few days.

Interesting though that they've put the statement on their own website, without any response from the club. If the club were going to dispute his points, would they have done that?

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#22 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

Basically he thinks Cas and wakey should merge.

Think it was a bit tongue in cheek, knowing it would provoke a reaction!

Bearing in mind before that he said he was going to dust off his CV and send it to Cas for the CEO job! He then said one of the first jobs as CEo would be to merge Cas and Wakey! :ph34r:

#23 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

Im completely against forcing a merger between any of the WMDC clubs but if Cas are in as bad a shape as I'm hearing they look destined for administration/liquidation and that would be a travesty for RL as a whole. Wakefield isnt Manchester and finding a Koukash will be very difficult, Castleford are not Wakefield and they equally might find it hard to uncover a Glover even.

so Cas have no money, future looks bleak but they have a SL franchise and a ground to sell.
Fev have money, want a SL franchise which theyll have a job on to get, have a stadium which is being brought up to standard.

I hate mergers as I said but the planets are aligning on this one.

#24 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

Im completely against forcing a merger between any of the WMDC clubs but if Cas are in as bad a shape as I'm hearing they look destined for administration/liquidation and that would be a travesty for RL as a whole. Wakefield isnt Manchester and finding a Koukash will be very difficult, Castleford are not Wakefield and they equally might find it hard to uncover a Glover even.

so Cas have no money, future looks bleak but they have a SL franchise and a ground to sell.
Fev have money, want a SL franchise which theyll have a job on to get, have a stadium which is being brought up to standard.

I hate mergers as I said but the planets are aligning on this one.

Why are they aligning a merger?

Could one club simply not replace the other if that scenario played out? (which I hope it doesn't)

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

#25 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

Could one club simply not replace the other if that scenario played out? (which I hope it doesn't)

And, of course, Wakey don't have a new ground yet. If us and Cas did merge it could mean bye bye Wildcats.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#26 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

Why a merger?

I imagine it's the very last thing on Cas fans minds

#27 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,879 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

It seems a shame when Castleford have just beaten Leeds in front of 9,000 and Fev are upgrading the ground and have just had two 2,000 plus attendances.

Hopefully there is an investor out there. Salford's situation looked terminal and then came the hour, came the man.

#28 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,471 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

Steve Ferres has resigned so there's a merger ?

:blink:

How did that happen ?
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#29 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

Steve Ferres has resigned so there's a merger ?

:blink:

How did that happen ?

Same way that it was thought that Sheffield & Huddersfield would make a good combination. :lol:

Please view my photos.

#30 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,471 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

Same way that it was thought that Sheffield & Huddersfield would make a good combination. :lol:

Ah yes ! And Steve Ferres had resigned from Sheffield only six years earlier ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#31 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

And, of course, Wakey don't have a new ground yet. If us and Cas did merge it could mean bye bye Wildcats.

it certainly could Terry,
Wakefield, I suspect, could do enough to demonstrate that the new stadium is happening and theyre doing very well in all other departments, I also doubt that in this hypethetical scenario that the RFL would see both of the experienced SL clubs from WMDC drop out of the top league.

To set the record straight here, I'm not saying that a merger IS happening, I'm merely speculating that the conditions might be such that it becomes a stronger option, you know encouraging debate, speculating the stuff message boards are made for.

Edited by OMEGA, 19 February 2013 - 04:08 PM.

#32 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,863 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

Oh my goodness Mr. Mullaney, talking about mergers down "Calder" way in a positive fashion!!

Surely you weren't part of the "Merging on the ridiculous" pitch invasion campaign seventeen years ago for it to come to this?

It will NEVER work.

As for your mean post about how Wakey could be left out in the cold how could you??

#33 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

Why is it when something goes wrong at one of the 'wakefield district clubs people talk about mergers??? Cas seem to have directors that want change but at their pace with no money to back it. Looking from the outside I reckon they should put the club up for sale and let somebody else run the club. The potential is huge! It's a rugby town through and through, run properly they could get 11,000 crowds every home game and have 17 local players in the team...
Posted Image

#34 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

Why is it when something goes wrong at one of the 'wakefield district clubs people talk about mergers??? Cas seem to have directors that want change but at their pace with no money to back it. Looking from the outside I reckon they should put the club up for sale and let somebody else run the club. The potential is huge! It's a rugby town through and through, run properly they could get 11,000 crowds every home game and have 17 local players in the team...

Thats idealistic nonsense!

Castleford as a business are in no shape whatsoever to be put up on the market as a going concern, there are too many charges against their assetts, there are too many Directors loans to be repaid. Unless a deal could be struck with the Tigers creditors, Bank, JF, RW and others it would cost millions to just buy the club lock stock and barrell, then theres the years it would take to rebuild the income streams just to break even. Sport is not a profit making business so it would have to be a hugely wealthy businessman who was'nt bothered about laying out a 7 figure sum and having no real prospect of ever seeing his money again.

#35 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

Maybe the RFL stopped paying his wages?

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#36 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,651 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

1. A CEO resigns
2. The whole of rugby is speculative meltdown

FACT: Maybe we should be really innovative and wait for some facts?

#37 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

1. A CEO resigns
2. The whole of rugby is speculative meltdown

FACT: Maybe we should be really innovative and wait for some facts?

I think the point is with castleford you wont get any facts!!!
Posted Image

#38 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

Oh my goodness Mr. Mullaney, talking about mergers down "Calder" way in a positive fashion!!

Surely you weren't part of the "Merging on the ridiculous" pitch invasion campaign seventeen years ago for it to come to this?

It will NEVER work.

As for your mean post about how Wakey could be left out in the cold how could you??

Hang on Parky, I didn't start this nor am I ever likely to condone any sort of merger for any RL club. There was a suggestion that the planets ie Fev & Cas are aligning. Merely pointing out to Omega that its only a few months ago that Wakey were on their backside and could be again if Newmarket doesn't come off.

I fail to see Omega's reasoning that Fev would struggle to get a SL licence. What more do they have to prove I'd have to ask? Provided the crowds continue their current trend, as Far as I can see the club ticks every required box, unlike certain SL incumbents.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#39 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

Statement: Jack Fulton, Chairman

In response to this morning’s announcement of chief executive Steve Ferres’ resignation, Castleford Tigers chairman Jack Fulton has issued the following statement:

“I would like to thank Steve for his efforts during his time at the club and wish him well for the future.

“For over 20 years I have supported this club financially to a substantial amount with the aim of keeping it going as a Super League club ready for the day when it can support itself. While disappointed by Steve’s resignation, this position remains unchanged. We look to the future and a real opportunity now exists for somebody new to come into the chief executive’s role and drive the club forward.”

The club invites applicants to apply for the job. CVs are to be sent with a covering letter to the club for attention of Jack Fulton, Chairman.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#40 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

Hang on Parky, I didn't start this nor am I ever likely to condone any sort of merger for any RL club. There was a suggestion that the planets ie Fev & Cas are aligning. Merely pointing out to Omega that its only a few months ago that Wakey were on their backside and could be again if Newmarket doesn't come off.

I fail to see Omega's reasoning that Fev would struggle to get a SL licence. What more do they have to prove I'd have to ask? Provided the crowds continue their current trend, as Far as I can see the club ticks every required box, unlike certain SL incumbents.

Terry,

I beleive Fev should have the chance to bid for a franchise and should be judged on their merits, if that happened they could quite easily win a franchise and be in SL. Unfortunately I don't think it suits the powers that be to have 2 SL clubs from WMDC and if one should go (Cas or Wakey) I dont think theyll be in a rush to give Fev a franchise whether they deserve it or not.

Hyperthetically, If Wakefield get into Newmarket and continue to grow then maybe just maybe the RFL SLE whoever would consider another WMDC club if it were extremely strong.
Lets be honest if the RFL ESL get their way there wont be any WMDC clubs in SL in 20 or 30 years time, having said that the way theyre going there might not be a RL or SL by then.

When I say the planets are aligning Im not referring to Cas & Fev but rather to the brewing of a perfect storm which might be throwing up a scenario where Caas & Fev might be mutually served by a merger. As I said its purely conjecture and speculating for the purpose of a debate on a message board nothing more

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users