Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Castleford Tigers CEO Steve Ferres resigns

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#41 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

Terry,

I beleive Fev should have the chance to bid for a franchise and should be judged on their merits, if that happened they could quite easily win a franchise and be in SL. Unfortunately I don't think it suits the powers that be to have 2 SL clubs from WMDC and if one should go (Cas or Wakey) I dont think theyll be in a rush to give Fev a franchise whether they deserve it or not.

Hyperthetically, If Wakefield get into Newmarket and continue to grow then maybe just maybe the RFL SLE whoever would consider another WMDC club if it were extremely strong.
Lets be honest if the RFL ESL get their way there wont be any WMDC clubs in SL in 20 or 30 years time, having said that the way theyre going there might not be a RL or SL by then.

When I say the planets are aligning Im not referring to Cas & Fev but rather to the brewing of a perfect storm which might be throwing up a scenario where Caas & Fev might be mutually served by a merger. As I said its purely conjecture and speculating for the purpose of a debate on a message board nothing more

But if the RFL have no intention of giving Fev a Licence then surely they'd have said so by now. There's every confidence from within the club that we have a great chance of securing SL status next time around. I understand the Club has had substantial dialogue with the RFL along the journey which has taken the club it's present strong position. Time will tell I suppose.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#42 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

Cas are a joke of a club who shouldnt be in SL. They offer nothing and cant afford to be in it. The board keep coming out with rubbish like a new stadium, moving forward etc to make it look like things are going well to cover up the major problems at the club. RW and the board for me, are killing Cas, but are too stubborn and arrogant to admit it. The future of Cas right now looks bad. The fans deserve better as do the players and Coaching staff. Lets see some honesty from the Cas board and atleast admit they have problems and not just ignore them.

#43 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,463 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

But if the RFL have no intention of giving Fev a Licence then surely they'd have said so by now.

Why ? :huh:

Why wouldn't they simply go through the established process next year ?
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#44 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

Statement: Jack Fulton, Chairman

In response to this morning’s announcement of chief executive Steve Ferres’ resignation, Castleford Tigers chairman Jack Fulton has issued the following statement:

“I would like to thank Steve for his efforts during his time at the club and wish him well for the future.

“For over 20 years I have supported this club financially to a substantial amount with the aim of keeping it going as a Super League club ready for the day when it can support itself. While disappointed by Steve’s resignation, this position remains unchanged. We look to the future and a real opportunity now exists for somebody new to come into the chief executive’s role and drive the club forward.”

The club invites applicants to apply for the job. CVs are to be sent with a covering letter to the club for attention of Jack Fulton, Chairman.

The optimist in me reads that as saying nothing to worry about, I'll keep funding the club and we'll replace Steve. The cynic reads it as I'll pay what I can and nothing is going to change as I don't want to move aside for new ideas and investment.

Time will tell which is right.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#45 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

Why ? :huh:

Why wouldn't they simply go through the established process next year ?

That's basically what I'm saying Richard. There is a process to go through which is available to all with set criteria which Rovers are meeting just now. Omega is saying that Rovers will struggle to get a licence purely because of established clubs already in the WMDC area. My point is that through the channels of dialogue which have taken place between the club and RFL, Rovers will surely have a good idea as to their chances in this respect.

#46 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

Cas are one of the (thankfully) ever diminishing group of SL clubs who have a board who are simply not up to the demands of running a modern professional rugby league club. Steve Ferres isn't exactly what you'd call a completer/finisher, he's been at Wakey, Cas, York & Sheffield? at least, so I wouldn't read too much into him quitting, but Cas are a shambles off the pitch and really need some new blood in the boardroom to get the club back on track.

If they fail to do so, you can see Fev replacing Cas at the next licencing round.

#47 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,869 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

Cas are one of the (thankfully) ever diminishing group of SL clubs who have a board who are simply not up to the demands of running a modern professional rugby league club. Steve Ferres isn't exactly what you'd call a completer/finisher, he's been at Wakey, Cas, York & Sheffield? at least, so I wouldn't read too much into him quitting, but Cas are a shambles off the pitch and really need some new blood in the boardroom to get the club back on track.

If they fail to do so, you can see Fev replacing Cas at the next licencing round.

Good post - totally agree
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#48 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

Not looking good, I said 12 months ago Catleford had problems and got slammed....... A traditional old club needing new direction, funding and a bit of luck..... So hope they get saved, some of the old time players still remind me of the great old days of the 80's &90's

Beardmore bros, John Joyner, big Kevin ward I thought they were ace, steadman, Blackmore, st.john ellis, Jamie Sandie just a few of the top of my head.

Best wishes and good luck.

#49 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

It's a funny old game some times. 2 years ago Wakey were on the brink and Cas had their stadium approved and were all guns ahead to build it. Wakey looked like going out of business, while Cas were looking like becoming competition challengers.

Fast forward to now, Wakey are a model club with a great competitive side, crowds are up and a stadium guaranteed. Conversely Cas stadium is on the rocks, the team s struggling and the future looks bleak. But it shows how fortunes can change quickly in he game. I wouldn't write off Cas yet. However, long-tem, I can't see more than 1 team from the Wakey region being successful.

Those saying Fev should replace them, think about the comp as a whole. If Fev came in, they would be a struggler in the long and short term. I can't ever see them challenging for top honours. Their catchment area is simply too small, and they lack the resources and infrastructure to challenge. Why bring in a side that won't add to the competition? IMO, the region is already served by Wakey.

At least with Widnes and Catalans (when they were admitted to SL) you knew it was likely to be successful in the long-term as hey had the resources, infrastructure and catchment areas to do it. These clubs are now yielding results.

Getting back to the main point, the aim of SL is to be a competitive, strong league where any team can win it. Despite its problems, the competition isnt far off achieving this. Thus I believe any new clubs who come into the comp, should have the potential to challenge. Cas (in its current form) and Fev do not have this.

All IMO
Posted Image

Posted Image

#50 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

Thus I believe any new clubs who come into the comp, should have the potential to challenge. Cas (in its current form) and Fev do not have this.

All IMO

You're quite entitled to your opinion, even if it is wrong. :P

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#51 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

It's a funny old game some times. 2 years ago Wakey were on the brink and Cas had their stadium approved and were all guns ahead to build it. Wakey looked like going out of business, while Cas were looking like becoming competition challengers.

Fast forward to now, Wakey are a model club with a great competitive side, crowds are up and a stadium guaranteed. Conversely Cas stadium is on the rocks, the team s struggling and the future looks bleak. But it shows how fortunes can change quickly in he game. I wouldn't write off Cas yet. However, long-tem, I can't see more than 1 team from the Wakey region being successful.

Those saying Fev should replace them, think about the comp as a whole. If Fev came in, they would be a struggler in the long and short term. I can't ever see them challenging for top honours. Their catchment area is simply too small, and they lack the resources and infrastructure to challenge. Why bring in a side that won't add to the competition? IMO, the region is already served by Wakey.

At least with Widnes and Catalans (when they were admitted to SL) you knew it was likely to be successful in the long-term as hey had the resources, infrastructure and catchment areas to do it. These clubs are now yielding results.

Getting back to the main point, the aim of SL is to be a competitive, strong league where any team can win it. Despite its problems, the competition isnt far off achieving this. Thus I believe any new clubs who come into the comp, should have the potential to challenge. Cas (in its current form) and Fev do not have this.

All IMO

ha ha ha ha what results are widnes yielding and how far are we off any team in the league winning the title, you couldn't be further from the truth

#52 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:10 PM

Goldcoaster are you after a job at the RFL If you think any team can beat anyone you must be watching the championship because S/L is no where near that

As for Cas clubs have ups and downs lets see what happens

#53 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:15 PM

ha ha ha ha what results are widnes yielding and how far are we off any team in the league winning the title, you couldn't be further from the truth

Perhaps not at his moment. Right now I believe Leeds, Wigan, Saints, Warrington, Catalans, Huddersfield and Hull FC are all title challengers. 5 years ago, only Leeds, Saints, Bradford and Wigan were. In the next 3 years, I believe Bradford, Widnes, Wakey and Salford can also become consistent challenges. That would make 11 of 14 teams being challengers for the title.

If any new teams are added, they need to be able to be like the 11 challengers, and less like the 3 also-rans. I can only see Fev bing me of he also-rans, which is why I do not favour their elevation to SL. I mean no offence t Fev fans (nor fans of Cas, London and Hull KR) it's just the way I see them in the context of the competition.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#54 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

Any club could become challengers if they had investment, there's nothing to say that in 5 yrs that some current investors have moved on and a lot of the clubs you have listed are just also rans again. But I don't think in 3 yrs there will be 11 clubs challenging for the title

#55 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:42 PM

Perhaps not at his moment. Right now I believe Leeds, Wigan, Saints, Warrington, Catalans, Huddersfield and Hull FC are all title challengers. 5 years ago, only Leeds, Saints, Bradford and Wigan were. In the next 3 years, I believe Bradford, Widnes, Wakey and Salford can also become consistent challenges. That would make 11 of 14 teams being challengers for the title.

If any new teams are added, they need to be able to be like the 11 challengers, and less like the 3 also-rans. I can only see Fev bing me of he also-rans, which is why I do not favour their elevation to SL. I mean no offence t Fev fans (nor fans of Cas, London and Hull KR) it's just the way I see them in the context of the competition.

even after 3 games the league table has already taken shape and probably won't be much different come the end of the season, the same teams towards the bottom and the same towards the top. Your optimistic outlook just isn't going to ever happen, although hope your right.

#56 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,861 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:04 PM

That's basically what I'm saying Richard. There is a process to go through which is available to all with set criteria which Rovers are meeting just now. Omega is saying that Rovers will struggle to get a licence purely because of established clubs already in the WMDC area. My point is that through the channels of dialogue which have taken place between the club and RFL, Rovers will surely have a good idea as to their chances in this respect.

Oh dear another post from "Worried of Featherstone".

14 clubs is a great number and I hope they keep it. When licenses come round how many serious applications will there be?

Not that that matters the rule is the RFL/SLE WILL give a place to a CC club who meets criteria.

That's Fev by a mile as it stands.

You can't rule out some sort of massive change in policy but as time goes on you can't envisage this happening so close to the next licensing decision.

What we have agreed in debating matters is Fev would struggle without a benefactors and you yourself named Mr. Nahaboo.

I'd stick to worrying about him rather than the RFL. If he'll guarantee a full cap spend available your as good as any club.

#57 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,861 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:04 PM

Double post

Edited by The Parksider, 19 February 2013 - 11:05 PM.

#58 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:53 PM

Oh dear another post from "Worried of Featherstone".

14 clubs is a great number and I hope they keep it. When licenses come round how many serious applications will there be?

Not that that matters the rule is the RFL/SLE WILL give a place to a CC club who meets criteria.

That's Fev by a mile as it stands.

You can't rule out some sort of massive change in policy but as time goes on you can't envisage this happening so close to the next licensing decision.

What we have agreed in debating matters is Fev would struggle without a benefactors and you yourself named Mr. Nahaboo.

I'd stick to worrying about him rather than the RFL. If he'll guarantee a full cap spend available your as good as any club.

I'm not worried at all Parky, just the opposite if you read my posting in its true context. Neither do I have any worries about Feisal Nahaboo. Cas could do with him right now but they had their chance and blew it. His disillusionment with the Tigers is perhaps much more understandable given the departure of Steve Ferres and the content of his farewell statement.

#59 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:56 PM

So you don't think a Featherstone Rovers club spending full cap would be able to challenge? Why is that?

#60 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:33 AM

even after 3 games the league table has already taken shape and probably won't be much different come the end of the season, the same teams towards the bottom and the same towards the top. Your optimistic outlook just isn't going to ever happen, although hope your right.

How are St Helens currently fitting into that template?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users