Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Castleford Tigers CEO Steve Ferres resigns

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#61 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,952 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:03 AM

I'm not worried at all Parky, just the opposite if you read my posting in its true context. Neither do I have any worries about Feisal Nahaboo. Cas could do with him right now but they had their chance and blew it. His disillusionment with the Tigers is perhaps much more understandable given the departure of Steve Ferres and the content of his farewell statement.

Sorry Terry, and I know you'll disagree with this but we could not "do with Feisal" right now I can assure you. Feisal "gives" nothing, rather helps out and wants a big return on his investment
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#62 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,951 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:11 AM

Sorry Terry, and I know you'll disagree with this but we could not "do with Feisal" right now I can assure you. Feisal "gives" nothing, rather helps out and wants a big return on his investment

that may well have been the position at cas... I wouldn't know.
But it doesn't appear to be the case at fev. Money up front is always a good sign and if he's wanting a big return (and I've heard nowt whatsoever that suggests that), fev is the wrong place to be!
So far, feisal's relationship wi fev appears very positive!
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#63 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

Those saying Fev should replace them, think about the comp as a whole. If Fev came in, they would be a struggler in the long and short term. I can't ever see them challenging for top honours. Their catchment area is simply too small, and they lack the resources and infrastructure to challenge. Why bring in a side that won't add to the competition? IMO, the region is already served by Wakey.

At least with Widnes and Catalans (when they were admitted to SL) you knew it was likely to be successful in the long-term as hey had the resources, infrastructure and catchment areas to do it. These clubs are now yielding results.

Getting back to the main point, the aim of SL is to be a competitive, strong league where any team can win it. Despite its problems, the competition isnt far off achieving this. Thus I believe any new clubs who come into the comp, should have the potential to challenge. Cas (in its current form) and Fev do not have this.

All IMO

Wide of the mark YET AGAIN.

We have the same catchment area as Cas!

We have investors and more investors lined up!

We have a board and coach who dont want to make up the numbers.

Your posts sbout our club are ignorant at best.

Cummins Out.

#64 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

How are St Helens currently fitting into that template?

im not saying stop now it won't change of course clubs will finish lower or higher than they currently are, although I don't think saints will finish top six to be honest they seem to be going through a transitional period. But the table seems to be taking a familiar look with the teams at the bottom.

#65 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

Cas and Fev should merge, half the ###### threads do anyway.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#66 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

Cas are one of the (thankfully) ever diminishing group of SL clubs who have a board who are simply not up to the demands of running a modern professional rugby league club. Steve Ferres isn't exactly what you'd call a completer/finisher, he's been at Wakey, Cas, York & Sheffield? at least ....

Steve Ferres has never been in an administrative post at Sheffield. He was assistant coach until 1993.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#67 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

So what was he asking Cas for Kenny? I keep hearing this type of thing about the bloke but no one has ever come up with any solid evidence. He has already put money into Rovers with no strings and makes it clear that more is available should Daryl need to strengthen. Why would he come out with the following if he wasn't sincerely behind the club http://www.featherst...le.php?id=10550

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 20 February 2013 - 11:29 AM.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#68 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

Publicity junkie ? :mellow: :huh:

#69 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,431 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

Faisal wanted allegedly the information from all the members and sponsors at Fax so he could contact them with his Probiz hat on. He also wanted to take control at Fax. Allegedly the Fax board were unhappy with this and said "no!" and he left Fax for Cas. Why he left Cas is unknown but it wouldnt surprise me if the reason why I heard he left Fax are similar to the reasons he left Cas. Faisal seems never to stay around that long at clubs. Maybe Fev is different and I hope he puts some cash Fevs way and I am really pleased they are spending it on the ground and Youth areas and not just throwing it away like so many clubs have or are doing.

#70 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

What bothers me about Feisal is that he has more pies than fingers.

How can he say he's 100% committed to Rovers when his firm also backs 13* other sporting entities ?

I'm very happy he's not sponsoring us. Not that he hasn't been sniffing round, apparently.

*Well it was 13 last time I looked.

#71 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

Is that why he got involved at Wigan? :D

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#72 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

Faisal wanted allegedly the information from all the members and sponsors at Fax so he could contact them with his Probiz hat on. He also wanted to take control at Fax. Allegedly the Fax board were unhappy with this and said "no!" and he left Fax for Cas. Why he left Cas is unknown but it wouldnt surprise me if the reason why I heard he left Fax are similar to the reasons he left Cas. Faisal seems never to stay around that long at clubs. Maybe Fev is different and I hope he puts some cash Fevs way and I am really pleased they are spending it on the ground and Youth areas and not just throwing it away like so many clubs have or are doing.

Or maybe the reasons he left Cas are similar to those of Steve Ferres. Our CEO was at Cas when Feisal was involved which begs the question... why would he bring him to Fev if he's not right for us? Doesn't make sense.

#73 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

How can he say he's 100% committed to Rovers when his firm also backs 13* other sporting entities ?

I'm very happy he's not sponsoring us. Not that he hasn't been sniffing round, apparently.

*Well it was 13 last time I looked.

Well maybe he's personally 100 % committed to Rovers? It does happen

#74 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

Well maybe he's personally 100 % committed to Rovers? It does happen

Maybe he is.

#75 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

Is that why he got involved at Wigan? :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

More than likely !!

#76 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,179 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

Those saying Fev should replace (CAS), think about the comp as a whole. If Fev came in, they would be a struggler in the long and short term. I can't ever see them challenging for top honours. Their catchment area is simply too small, and they lack the resources and infrastructure to challenge. Why bring in a side that won't add to the competition? IMO, the region is already served by Wakey.

Region is the word.....

That's how the RFL saw it 1996 with the region (and other regions) being served by one club.

However if you look at it from a practical rather than a theoretical point of view the Cheshire region is already served by Warrington, Hull is already served by HullFC and east pennines is already served by Bradford.

So no need for Widnes HKR or Huddersfield either.

Without doubt if you had successful SL clubs blossoming in Gateshead, South Wales, Paris, Toulouse etc, then such as these clubs may not get into Superleague never mind dear old Featherstone Rovers.

But whilst we only have nine regions in the country where RL is strong enough to operate in at Superleague level (and I include London in that) we are short of "viable" clubs even for a 10 club league.

So the number of clubs set for SL 2015-2018 may dictate chances for clubs. If it's 14 clubs which I hope it is the first picks will be those with the fans to self sustain. After that it's those with the rich men to pay for the empty seats.

The debate is already moving to wether Faisal Nahaboo will be another Ken Davey or another Tony Larvin for very good reason and this is where Rovers survival may lie, albeit one poster has already referred to unamed "other investors". i see no point in arguing a point that will only be proved or disproved come the business plan for the application.

In terms of "resources" and the number of clubs in the area, the area recently held games at all three grounds with a total attendance of over 20,000 people. Split evenly (in theory) that is enough support for two Superleague clubs as it stands. These crowds are for clubs who are failing in SL, collapsed in SL last year and are in the Championship so who is to say two successful clubs cannot attain 10,000 crowds???

In terms of quality players the ability of the Cas/Pontefract/Featherstone area is a match for Wigan and Leeds. Wakefield's record is actually poor.

So the fan and playing resources are there for two clubs to do very well in the area. What is currently lacking is the investment in the facilities and the teams to maximise the audiense and keep the best players in the region.

If two clubs can do well in Hull, Cheshire etc then two can certainly do well in Calder......

#77 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

Region is the word.....

That's how the RFL saw it 1996 with the region (and other regions) being served by one club.

However if you look at it from a practical rather than a theoretical point of view the Cheshire region is already served by Warrington, Hull is already served by HullFC and east pennines is already served by Bradford.

So no need for Widnes HKR or Huddersfield either.

Without doubt if you had successful SL clubs blossoming in Gateshead, South Wales, Paris, Toulouse etc, then such as these clubs may not get into Superleague never mind dear old Featherstone Rovers.

But whilst we only have nine regions in the country where RL is strong enough to operate in at Superleague level (and I include London in that) we are short of "viable" clubs even for a 10 club league.

So the number of clubs set for SL 2015-2018 may dictate chances for clubs. If it's 14 clubs which I hope it is the first picks will be those with the fans to self sustain. After that it's those with the rich men to pay for the empty seats.

The debate is already moving to wether Faisal Nahaboo will be another Ken Davey or another Tony Larvin for very good reason and this is where Rovers survival may lie, albeit one poster has already referred to unamed "other investors". i see no point in arguing a point that will only be proved or disproved come the business plan for the application.

In terms of "resources" and the number of clubs in the area, the area recently held games at all three grounds with a total attendance of over 20,000 people. Split evenly (in theory) that is enough support for two Superleague clubs as it stands. These crowds are for clubs who are failing in SL, collapsed in SL last year and are in the Championship so who is to say two successful clubs cannot attain 10,000 crowds???

In terms of quality players the ability of the Cas/Pontefract/Featherstone area is a match for Wigan and Leeds. Wakefield's record is actually poor.

So the fan and playing resources are there for two clubs to do very well in the area. What is currently lacking is the investment in the facilities and the teams to maximise the audiense and keep the best players in the region.

If two clubs can do well in Hull, Cheshire etc then two can certainly do well in Calder......

Excellent post

#78 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,016 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

Saints are doing just fine. They're exactly where we want them. I don't think it's a ridiculous assertion by any means to argue that we'll soon have 11 competitive teams, simply by virtue of their all spending up to the cap. There may be more than that even. It will take years for teams to gel or go off the boil, but we could see a good SL.
It's pretty clear what Cas need - a sugar daddy like pretty much all the other teams in the league.

#79 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 749 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

So CEO goes and then the merge brigade comes out.

If it would be such a good idea for team to merge then why not take it all the way. Merge everyone into two teams because following the other pro merge arguments the two teams would get 30K+ crowds every game, they would be massively rich as all the boards of the previous clubs would be on board. The teams would be full of players from its en-catchment area.
The season could work play 8 times home and 8 times away against the other team in a league to give a 16 game league.
The top 2 teams then go into a playoff.
Loser of the first playoff game gets a 2nd go, winner gets to choose its opposition in club-call.

Think merging is a stupid idea yet?

Edited by Li0nhead, 21 February 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#80 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

So CEO goes and then the merge brigade comes out.

If it would be such a good idea for team to merge then why not take it all the way. Merge everyone into two teams because following the other pro merge arguments the two teams would get 30K+ crowds every game, they would be massively rich as all the boards of the previous clubs would be on board. The teams would be full of players from its en-catchment area.
The season could work play 8 times home and 8 times away against the other team in a league to give a 16 game league.
The top 2 teams then go into a playoff.
Loser of the first playoff game gets a 2nd go, winner gets to choose its opposition in club-call.

Think merging is a stupid idea yet?

I could see that working - provided there was dual registration. B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users