Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rovers Support

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#61 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

It was further back than the dawn of $uperleague. About 1993.

I was only young back then... thats a good enough defense for being wrong innit?

Didnt a Keighley director from the time kick off about how it was used?

Cummins Out.

#62 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,126 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

you could well be right. However, there are a number of Fans at Halifax who are happy competing for trophies in the Championship rather than playing in SL. I don't get that mentality myself but I don't think Faxs crowds would reduce by much if they did say the couldn't afford SL.

going back to this time last year and featherstone fans said exactly the same about widnes being granted a license, they would rather watch a winning team than a team getting battered every week...................short memories in the village methinks???
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#63 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

going back to this time last year and featherstone fans said exactly the same about widnes being granted a license, they would rather watch a winning team than a team getting battered every week...................short memories in the village methinks???

Not really, the situation has changed a bit.

I would rather see us winning stuff than getting battered in SL every week.

But we've now got a situation where we can spend full cap for 3 years, so one would hope that we'll be more than competitive.

#64 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

But we've now got a situation where we can spend full cap for 3 years, so one would hope that we'll be more than competitive.

Assembling a squad of 25 (or so) brand new full time players is more difficult that just waving your fully flat-capped wallet.

Just saying.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#65 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,173 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

In August 1994 the Rugby Football League published its 'Framing The Future' document which called for a soccer style Premier League and club mergers. '

The report stated that there were too many clubs in too small an area for the game to be marketed properly :o

And that was the mantra Maurice Lyndsay adopted, and to try to "include" as many fans in "Superleague" as possible he tabled the mergers, which went down like a lead baloon. What fans wanted was to keep their club as it was and be in Superleague.

So it was down to the clubs to fight it out for the SL places.

It's been a long long fight that has lasted 17 years to date and will last longer. Some clubs have won their battle like Saints, Wigan and Leeds, several others have lost it like Bramley Rochdale and Hunslet the main fighting at the moment is centered on Fev and Cas. On other fronts SL winners are making sure their neigbours are dead by sticking them with DR.

#66 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

Slightly off topic, I once took may lad and his mate to Post Office Road to watch the Saints. Having pestered for something to eat and drink, they then went into the ground early. On reaching the turnstile to pay I was flabbergasted to see that the club had put up the admission price on the morning of the match. I was told this was not unusual when the top sides visited. I ended up borrowing some money from a fellow supporter. :rolleyes:

#67 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

Slightly off topic, I once took may lad and his mate to Post Office Road to watch the Saints. Having pestered for something to eat and drink, they then went into the ground early. On reaching the turnstile to pay I was flabbergasted to see that the club had put up the admission price on the morning of the match. I was told this was not unusual when the top sides visited. I ended up borrowing some money from a fellow supporter. :rolleyes:

Never known that happen in 30 odd years of going to POR, are you sure?

#68 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,951 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

ive been going since 1973 and I've never ever known that to happen.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#69 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

I was a director at Featherstone Rovers for 28 years from 1974 to 2002 and I can categorically state that it never happened during those years. Which year are we talking about here?

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 21 February 2013 - 05:47 PM.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#70 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

I was told this was not unusual when the top sides visited.

Why was it put up for Saints, then ? :rolleyes:
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#71 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

Absolutely.

#72 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

I was a director at Featherstone Rovers for 28 years from 1974 to 2002 and I can categorically state that it never happened during those years. Which year are we talking about here?

Late Eighties, early Nineties. I checked the cost of admission before departing, only to find it more on arrival. I recall someone saying that the club had put the price up.

#73 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

Wait till you have a shared gate.........

#74 MADREDNIGE

MADREDNIGE
  • Coach
  • 124 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

nor me in going 40 years,not calling you a liar but it seems very unusual.

#75 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

Late Eighties, early Nineties. I checked the cost of admission before departing, only to find it more on arrival. I recall someone saying that the club had put the price up.

Not a chance, I think you've got it wrong somewhere along the line. Never heard that one before and make no mistake the Fev regulars would have strung us up if we'd pulled a trick like that.

#76 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

Not a chance, I think you've got it wrong somewhere along the line. Never heard that one before and make no mistake the Fev regulars would have strung us up if we'd pulled a trick like that.

I can only say how it happened. If the wrong information had been given then so be it. I did look in the local press as well as contacting Featherstone.

#77 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:51 PM

#refundforsaintbillinge

Cummins Out.

#78 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:42 AM

#refundforsaintbillinge

It was very amusing at the time and slightly embarrassing. I do recall the admission price being written of thin card and placed above the entrance where the Saints fans were going in. This did seem strange! Furthermore, I had to borrow the princely sum of 50p. :D

I did once get caught up in a skirmish at Post Office Road, from where a kind steward let my lad and I go and sit in the stand...and I know that the Saints had their troublemakers. Anyhow, that's it apart from enjoying my visits to Post Office Road.

Apologies from me if I have been out of order putting the post up, but it's something that lives on in the mind.

#79 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:23 AM

For the second week running Rovers home support substantially beats a SL club. Last week London, this week Salford. The away following for both Barrow and Hunslet were practically non existent which makes this even more satisfying. Well done Rovers, there's a good feel about the place. Next home game is on TV against Keighley and the target is 3000.

#80 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,173 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:20 AM

For the second week running Rovers home support substantially beats a SL club. Last week London, this week Salford. The away

No Terry you don't have to beat SL attendances, you have to average 2,500 and your well on the way.

Do take strong note that attendances are often affected by winning and losing, so you need to keep winning and take that into SL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users