Rovers Support

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#101 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

I've not met many that have switched alliegance, I do know of many who have come into the game to support it as a fan on the terrace who have been from traditional areas of Leeds where Hunslet and Bramley used to get their support base from. Instead of choosing to go to the small local club, they have been attracted to go watch Leeds instead.

That repeats across the north and may explain why championship crowds continue to decline.

As for "errors of their ways" nobody makes an "error" by choosing who they want to support. There are of course plenty on here who would pass laws to prevent anyone watching any club other than their local one.

Anyone who changes allegiance to an arch rival, was never really a fan of the club they swapped from

#102 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

In the semi pro era when Leeds, Saints and Wire all got similar crowds. If their crowds have doubled, or trebled since then, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to work out that Fevs crowds in the modern era would be much more than they got in the 80s

Perhaps we'll see in a couple of years' time.

Good luck with that budget.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#103 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,130 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

Anyone who changes allegiance to an arch rival, was never really a fan of the club they swapped from

Trojan did: from wakefield to Fev:

edit-who's to say what a 'fan' is? people take whatever theyw ant from their experience of the sport. Nobody has anythng to prove.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 26 February 2013 - 02:09 PM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#104 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

Anyone who can't see pro sport for what it is, and thinks it's some sort of religion needs to grow up.

#105 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

In the semi pro era when Leeds, Saints and Wire all got similar crowds. If their crowds have doubled, or trebled since then, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to work out that Fevs crowds in the modern era would be much more.......

Oddly in the old first division towards the end Leeds/Saints/Wire averaged 8,400.

Featherstone averaged 3,700.

Oddly Salford and Widnes, smaller clubs like Featherstone last year averaged 50% better crowds than they had in the first division.

So any rocket scientist worth his salt would look at the stats, apply 50% to Rovers 3,700 and deduce the club would likely get around 5,500 in Superleague.

That's a sensible reasonable and logical figure.

#106 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

Trojan did: from wakefield to Fev:

edit-who's to say what a 'fan' is? people take whatever theyw ant from their experience of the sport. Nobody has anythng to prove.

NF

Cummins Out.

#107 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

Oddly in the old first division towards the end Leeds/Saints/Wire averaged 8,400.

Featherstone averaged 3,700.

Oddly Salford and Widnes, smaller clubs like Featherstone last year averaged 50% better crowds than they had in the first division.

So any rocket scientist worth his salt would look at the stats, apply 50% to Rovers 3,700 and deduce the club would likely get around 5,500 in Superleague.

That's a sensible reasonable and logical figure.

We were talking about the early 80s though or did you conveniently leave that bit out? Wire and Saints were not well supported when Fev were a top first div team and you know it

Fev were nowhere near a top team near the end of the old first division.

#108 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

We were talking about the early 80s though or did you conveniently leave that bit out? Wire and Saints were not well supported when Fev were a top first div team and you know it

Fev were nowhere near a top team near the end of the old first division.

Fine.

1981-2

Warrington 4000
Saints 5000
Featherstone 3000

But before you get excited

Hull 13,000
HKR 9,000

Fev came 11th in the Ist division at it's end but went to the cup semis.
It doesn't follow that crowds today are three times bigger than they were in the old first division early eighties.

Your theories on crowds don't hold water and are clumsy guesses.

As I say a promoted Rovers would likely get an increase in crowds like Salford or Widnes.

I say 5,500 if they compete OK.

Now you tell me what you think they will get?

#109 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:11 PM

I think you're about right with 5000 ish Parky. Not enought to survive on without a benefactor. But not a bad place to start building from.

As an aside, there was always a collective giggle from the section of the crowd we stood in when the attendance figure was announced back in eighties / winter era nineties. Clearly there is no proof, but I'd stake my mortgage on the official figures being on the low side of reality.

Edited by Ponterover, 26 February 2013 - 11:14 PM.

#110 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:31 PM

1. I think you're about right with 5000 ish Parky. Not enough to survive on without a benefactor. But not a bad place to start building from.

2. As an aside, there was always a collective giggle from the section of the crowd we stood in when the attendance figure was announced back in eighties / winter era nineties. Clearly there is no proof, but I'd stake my mortgage on the official figures being on the low side of reality.

1. When we covered this before the concensus was over 5,000 to start with. We also agreed Fev would need Mr. N's continued financial support but no different to several clubs.

2. Well lets hope the great attendances your getting now are not fiddled with!

#111 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,130 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:50 PM

NF

Sorry I don't understand
Keeping it local

#112 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:37 AM

Sorry I don't understand

Dont worry, NF = Non Fanatic... twas a play on what you said in the previous post.

Cummins Out.

#113 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:54 AM

Anyone who can't see pro sport for what it is, and thinks it's some sort of religion needs to grow up.

Sorry Parky but I do take offense to this.

I went to friends funeral the other day where Fev Rovers was a kind of religion to her. The turn out to say goodbye was just fantastic and I think that we all acted very 'groan up'.

If you think that making a pro sport club a kind of religion is not groan up then frankly I would rather not grow up. Better being a child than showing no loyalty in my opinion.

"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#114 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

Sorry Parky but I do take offense to this.

Well I apologise then Ian.

We can all be whatever we want to be fan wise, but nobody should criticise how we choose to support the game as individuals.

So we await the mother of all apologies from Lobbygobbler

And I suggest that if for example someone comes on here from Hull, born and bred, telling us they now go watch Warrington because they win things and the Hull clubs don't, then we will respect them.

Apologies again.

#115 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

Well I apologise then Ian.

We can all be whatever we want to be fan wise, but nobody should criticise how we choose to support the game as individuals.

So we await the mother of all apologies from Lobbygobbler

And I suggest that if for example someone comes on here from Hull, born and bred, telling us they now go watch Warrington because they win things and the Hull clubs don't, then we will respect them.

Apologies again.

I apreciate the apology and also apreciate the fact you no longer have me on ignore. So just to make things right I apologise again for any historic offense I have caused you.

In terms of glory supporters you are completely right they have a right to watch whoever they want. However I don't see an issue with good honest banter. I have many mates who are Man United fans and they get a good ribbing from me about being glory supporters. This is not offensive though in my opinion. They have a right to travel over to the wrong side of the penines to watch a succesful football team, I choose to watch ususally unsuccesfull clubs in my region. They gloat about success I gloat about being loyal and passionate about where I am from.

Everyone is different hence the reason I have many debates with you and other forum members.
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#116 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,130 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

I apreciate the apology and also apreciate the fact you no longer have me on ignore. So just to make things right I apologise again for any historic offense I have caused you.

In terms of glory supporters you are completely right they have a right to watch whoever they want. However I don't see an issue with good honest banter. I have many mates who are Man United fans and they get a good ribbing from me about being glory supporters. This is not offensive though in my opinion. They have a right to travel over to the wrong side of the penines to watch a succesful football team, I choose to watch ususally unsuccesfull clubs in my region. They gloat about success I gloat about being loyal and passionate about where I am from.

Everyone is different hence the reason I have many debates with you and other forum members.

great post Ian
Keeping it local

#117 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

Fine.

1981-2

Warrington 4000
Saints 5000
Featherstone 3000

But before you get excited

Hull 13,000
HKR 9,000

Fev came 11th in the Ist division at it's end but went to the cup semis.
It doesn't follow that crowds today are three times bigger than they were in the old first division early eighties.

Your theories on crowds don't hold water and are clumsy guesses.

As I say a promoted Rovers would likely get an increase in crowds like Salford or Widnes.

I say 5,500 if they compete OK.

Now you tell me what you think they will get?

If Wire got 4k and Fev got 3k in 1981/82, then you might expect a top Fev team in an improved stadium to get 75% of Wires current average gates (I''m assuming this is about 11k). That would be approx 8k

#118 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

If Wire got 4k and Fev got 3k in 1981/82, then you might expect a top Fev team in an improved stadium to get 75% of Wires current average gates (I''m assuming this is about 11k). That would be approx 8k

Itd be nice, but its not an exact science.

Think IF we went up, we could get 5k minimum... but I wouldn't moan if we got 8k

Cummins Out.

#119 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

my own story is well documented over the years on this forum, i was born and bred in the centre of sthelens, played for saints colts team before injury wrecked my career, and have lived in the borough all my life, but i have been a widnes supporter since 1964, i started watching them after my old fella took me to watch them play bradford (yes much to my chagrin i am half yorkie) and was dazzled by the sight of vinty karalius and jim measures. in all that time i have watched other teams as well as a spectator, but my heart has always been black and white.................much the same with the majority of the fev fans like me you have stayed with the club through the good times and the abyssmal times, and i am sure you will continue to do so in the future..................onwards and upwards lads.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#120 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

approx 8k

OK so your going for Featherstones crowds to zoom from 2000 in 2012......

...........to a quadrupled 8,000 in 2015 in SL :lol:

So why didn't Widnes's crowds go to 15,000 from 3750 when they got in Superleague???

Why didn't HKR's crowds shoot up to 13,000 when they went up??

How about Leigh - why didn't they get 8,700 instead of 4,700 when they went up???

Boy has your logic and reasoning been found wanting or what??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users