Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rovers Support

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#141 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,477 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

Tribalism is at the very foundation of team sports. That one might support more than one tribe is also true, e.g your amateur team, your club team, your international team or even the whole game of RL as opposed to RU.

Sport is a civilised replacement for war and battle and tribalism is at the very crux of it. You can call is " Silly" if you like but it is what it is.

so what ifyou don't feel tis 'tribalism', but enjoy thsport a great deal, even wit a passion? What should be don about such people?

sport is no such thing
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#142 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,477 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

No.

no what?
Keeping it local

#143 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,477 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:10 PM

Apologise for what. You claim to be a Hunslet fan by the user of the Parksider label but then you wax lyrical about all the Rhinos memorabilia festooning your bedroom. This is not only confusing but makes the use of the Parksider nom de plume disingenuous. To demonstrate your new found love at Headingley, on which you have commented many times, then you should probably change your user name so that all other posters are well aware of your allegiance and are not confused into thinking that if cut in half, you would be amber, white and flame rather than blue and yellow.

I go to Headingley a fair bit. I live a shortish bus ride away. I also watch Hnslet when I can. I used to be a volunteer there and am a member of the working mens' club at the top of the rod

I enjoy both experiences thoroughly. The Rhinos are a fine club and there are some great people there, and that goes for the Hawks

Does this make me a heretic, especially since I supporetd Fev for 50 years?

By the way it's myrtle white and flame, and I doubt whether parksider has Rhinos memorabilia festooning his bedroom, but then he might I supose-my guess it's his children who do this.

People can do what they like in the pursuance of their legal pleasures and that includes enjoying sport. The idea that people hav to wear labels and conform to some stupid unwriten law to qualify as a 'fan' is absolutely pathetic.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 01 March 2013 - 04:13 PM.

Keeping it local

#144 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:27 PM

so what ifyou don't feel tis 'tribalism', but enjoy thsport a great deal, even wit a passion? What should be don about such people?

sport is no such thing

Says you.

#145 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,294 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:30 PM

I'm L'Angelo.

#146 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

I go to Headingley a fair bit. I live a shortish bus ride away. I also watch Hnslet when I can. I used to be a volunteer there and am a member of the working mens' club at the top of the rod

I enjoy both experiences thoroughly. The Rhinos are a fine club and there are some great people there, and that goes for the Hawks

Does this make me a heretic, especially since I supporetd Fev for 50 years?

By the way it's myrtle white and flame, and I doubt whether parksider has Rhinos memorabilia festooning his bedroom, but then he might I supose-my guess it's his children who do this.

People can do what they like in the pursuance of their legal pleasures and that includes enjoying sport. The idea that people hav to wear labels and conform to some stupid unwriten law to qualify as a 'fan' is absolutely pathetic.

Firstly, no body was atlking to you.

Secondly. Parksider revealed the contents of his bedroom. Do keep up. That last pargraph bears no resemblance to any points raised in this discussion.

#147 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,477 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

Firstly, no body was atlking to you.

Secondly. Parksider revealed the contents of his bedroom. Do keep up. That last pargraph bears no resemblance to any points raised in this discussion.

you were posting on a public forum, anyone can contribute within the rules. I suggest you use the private message facility if you don't want people to respond.

Perhaps Parksider can clear up the issue: and in any case so what? Who the hell are you to make a judgement on what people have in their bedrooms.
Keeping it local

#148 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,477 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

Says you.

well spotted
Keeping it local

#149 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:31 PM

you were posting on a public forum, anyone can contribute within the rules. I suggest you use the private message facility if you don't want people to respond.

Perhaps Parksider can clear up the issue: and in any case so what? Who the hell are you to make a judgement on what people have in their bedrooms.

I'm not making a judgement. have you been drinking?

#150 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,477 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:48 PM

I'm not making a judgement. have you been drinking?

keighley
keighley
Assistant Coach
  • Coach
  • Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
  • 2,229 posts

Posted Today, 03:38 PM

Posted ImageThe Parksider, on 01 March 2013 - 12:55 AM, said:

Am I?

You'd best apologise please.

Apologise for what. You claim to be a Hunslet fan by the user of the Parksider label but then you wax lyrical about all the Rhinos memorabilia festooning your bedroom. This is not only confusing but makes the use of the Parksider nom de plume disingenuous. To demonstrate your new found love at Headingley, on which you have commented many times, then you should probably change your user name so that all other posters are well aware of your allegiance and are not confused into thinking that if cut in half, you would be amber, white and flame rather than blue and yellow.

looks pretty judgemental to me
Keeping it local

#151 Cake Tiger

Cake Tiger
  • Coach
  • 729 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:06 PM

It's not like you fellas to derail a thread :o

I can hear the mods jangling their keys

Edited by Cake Tiger, 01 March 2013 - 11:10 PM.

#152 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,326 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:29 AM

MR. KEIGHLEY SAID..........

I gave Lobby gobbler a blast of sarcasm. He was playing his childish "Yah boo your a turncoat" card because that's how debates go in keyboard land. If some people on here are losing one they get childish and personal. You know how it goes because your doing it now :lol:

I'm 57, do you really think I go to bed with a signed poster of Kevin Sinfield on the ceiling?? There IS one in the house but it's for the wife to look at :lol: (no seriously there is a piccy of Sinfield taken with my lad in my lads room).

I only have Hunslet memorabilia. All the programmes from Parkside from 1959 to 1973 bound, and my prize possession which was the brass plaque from the old pavilion from when they pulled Parkside down. It's mounted on mahogany - my dad cut and polished it all up. Great memories of my dad who's dead now and who took me to Parkside in 1966 becuause he said I was too young to go to Leeds with the older lads off our north Leeds estate, even though it was a bus ride away and my mates older brother would look after us. You see I'm a Loiner, born and bred. So is my son,he lives even closer to Headingley than I did.

The "New found love of Headingley" crack is you just assuming whatever will fit your argument or personal attack. I first fell in love with Headingley after I saw Alex Murphy play for Leigh there around 1970. By then I had a paper round and could do both Hunslet and Leeds with my mates. In around 1972 Leeds drew Bramley in the cup and we went there on the bus - an exciting "away" trip and I adopted my third club, and fell in love with Bramley.

After that I got a job and a car and used to go all over with both Hunslet and Leeds mates and fell in love with the game in general.
I never fell in love with Leeds as a team but the big games were fantastic and are more so today, I am of course always going to Leeds because it's my lads first love. I'm his dad and I take him.

I'm not sure I need to explain myself to you, given your bad manners and nonsensical rant, but I thought I would. What I write probably won't gel with you or Lobby anyway because it doesn't fit your definition of a "True" and "Loyal" fan.

You know the sort of people that are the backbone of Rugby League unlike turncoat #### like me :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by The Parksider, 02 March 2013 - 07:44 AM.

#153 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:18 PM

I gave Lobby gobbler a blast of sarcasm. He was playing his childish "Yah boo your a turncoat" card because that's how debates go in keyboard land. If some people on here are losing one they get childish and personal. You know how it goes because your doing it now :lol:

I'm 57, do you really think I go to bed with a signed poster of Kevin Sinfield on the ceiling?? There IS one in the house but it's for the wife to look at :lol: (no seriously there is a piccy of Sinfield taken with my lad in my lads room).

I only have Hunslet memorabilia. All the programmes from Parkside from 1959 to 1973 bound, and my prize possession which was the brass plaque from the old pavilion from when they pulled Parkside down. It's mounted on mahogany - my dad cut and polished it all up. Great memories of my dad who's dead now and who took me to Parkside in 1966 becuause he said I was too young to go to Leeds with the older lads off our north Leeds estate, even though it was a bus ride away and my mates older brother would look after us. You see I'm a Loiner, born and bred. So is my son,he lives even closer to Headingley than I did.

The "New found love of Headingley" crack is you just assuming whatever will fit your argument or personal attack. I first fell in love with Headingley after I saw Alex Murphy play for Leigh there around 1970. By then I had a paper round and could do both Hunslet and Leeds with my mates. In around 1972 Leeds drew Bramley in the cup and we went there on the bus - an exciting "away" trip and I adopted my third club, and fell in love with Bramley.

After that I got a job and a car and used to go all over with both Hunslet and Leeds mates and fell in love with the game in general.
I never fell in love with Leeds as a team but the big games were fantastic and are more so today, I am of course always going to Leeds because it's my lads first love. I'm his dad and I take him.

I'm not sure I need to explain myself to you, given your bad manners and nonsensical rant, but I thought I would. What I write probably won't gel with you or Lobby anyway because it doesn't fit your definition of a "True" and "Loyal" fan.

You know the sort of people that are the backbone of Rugby League unlike turncoat #### like me :lol: :lol: :lol:

Parksider,

You have every right to be a Leeds supporter. I understand you were once a Hunslet supporter. You may still have a secondary allegiance to Hunslet but it seems to me that it is now more to the historical context of Hunslet rather than to the present set up at the club.

I am not calling you a turncoat. You have every right to swap over to Leeds. The point I was making, quite minor really, was that to keep using the Parksider user name gives other readers of this board the idea that you are primarily a Hunslet supporter and might be expected to post from that perspective, whereas, you are now, in fact, a Rhinos follower and most definitely come from a SL orientated view point that might be expected from that.

I am certainly not calling you ####. You are obviously an intelligent person, who has a great love fro RL, as, I hope, I am. It's just that we very much disagree about the way the game is going. I won't and don't apologise for that.

#154 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

This is great !!
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#155 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,326 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

Parksider,

You have every right to be a Leeds supporter. I understand you were once a Hunslet supporter. You may still have a secondary allegiance to Hunslet but it seems to me that it is now more to the historical context of Hunslet rather than to the present set up at the club.

I am not calling you a turncoat. You have every right to swap over to Leeds. The point I was making, quite minor really, was that to keep using the Parksider user name gives other readers of this board the idea that you are primarily a Hunslet supporter and might be expected to post from that perspective, whereas, you are now, in fact, a Rhinos follower and most definitely come from a SL orientated view point that might be expected from that.

I am certainly not calling you ####. You are obviously an intelligent person, who has a great love fro RL, as, I hope, I am. It's just that we very much disagree about the way the game is going. I won't and don't apologise for that.

You just don't get it do you.

You are now saying I have a "secondary" alligience to Hunslet. Your completely wrong. They're my club

You say I have "swapped over" to Leeds. Your completely wrong. I have gone regularly to Headingley for 43 years

You say I'm a Rhinos "follower". Your wrong again. My lad is the Rhinos fan.

You say I have an "SL orientated view" completely wrong again. I have followed the game at all levels for 47 years and counting.

You need to stop making personal judgements on people from your keyboard.

Stick to the debate.

Edited by The Parksider, 02 March 2013 - 02:29 PM.

#156 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,326 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:28 PM

This is great !!

Go away please, this is a private conversation :lol:

#157 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:34 PM

Go away please, this is a private conversation :lol:

Only a few billion people can see it. :lol:
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#158 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,326 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:37 PM

Only a few billion people can see it. :lol:

:o Cheeky devils they shouldn't be looking

#159 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

:o Cheeky devils they shouldn't be looking

If this gets a few billion interested in RL then we have achieved for the game something all the top echelon of the games administration have failed to do.