Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

In praise of Sky’s new “pen pics”

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

Just wanted to say that I really like the new Sky presentation of the team line-ups at the start of their coverage. Doubtless the stuffy traditionalists will baulk at the fact the players are in their casual duds rather than kits or smarter attire but I think it’s a really neat idea. RL lads are undoubtedly fine physical specimens and just putting a small head shot up there didn’t sell them or the game in the way it deserves. This really does. It’s one for the ladies and gay guys I guess and should also turn heads among casual viewers down the pub. Me and my missus have had a good laugh rating the gear and trying to work out the player’s personalities from what they’re wearing. There’s a few too many open-necked garish designer T-shirts for both of our liking but then if I had an upper torso like an RL lad I’d probably show it off as well! So far we both like Lance Hohaia’s Kurt Cobain-esque “thrift store” long-sleeved T-shirt best and reckon he might be into his indie rock. The Pat Nevin of Super League maybe? Our own Corey Paterson had a weird Ian Brown/"gangster rap" hybrid look on his so guessing he's an interesting character. In general it’s just good to get a little extra insight into these players and raise their profile and IMHO it’s a great idea. I hope Sky stick with it. RL is a sexy sport deserving of sexy presentation basically and I think this is really good and a bit overdue.

Big thumbs up for the new try scorer pics too (spinning/juggling the ball etc.), which are good fun and again should help raise the players’ profile. It’s all fairly obvious stuff but presentation really does go a long way in a congested sport TV market.

Thoughts for or against and who do we like as best/worst dressed bloke in Super League?

Edited by DeadShotKeen, 19 February 2013 - 12:51 PM.

#2 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

You didn't watch Warrington v Catalans then, all newly kitted out.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#3 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,729 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

I can see this being a popular thread.

Some of these Super League players are popping some whack tags though, for sure.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#4 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

You didn't watch Warrington v Catalans then, all newly kitted out.

Yeah I did, assumed maybe Catalan only had kitted ones or something? We've already seen Wire's casual duds of course.

Have they dropped it already then? Any official line on this? Would be good if they mixed it up both ways.

#5 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

i think SKY have tried something new to the production of the programme, and while a good idea, i think its been executed poorly. The Pen pics of players in their casual attire i think looks tacky, so i'm not a fan at all.. though i did notice in one of the recent SKY games, i think the Wigan warrington game, that had changed the pen pics to include players in their kits. which for me is much better. Though that being said the shots they had of the warrington players must have been done in haste and not in the proper environment as the colour contrast on their kits was terrible (no doubt shot outside without any proper lighting), with the yellow in their kit looking like a horrible green..

it really doesn't take much to get these kind of graphics right, just a decent graphic designer and a professional photographic set-up thats had some thought go into it. so for me its all down to a lack of professionalism from the SKY team.

As a designer myself these kinds of things really bug me.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#6 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,420 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

TRL never afriad to tackle the important issues head on. ;)

I don't like 'em.

The players look scruffy.

They are pro rugby players.

They should look like 'em.

Kit on and scowling.

A Fev Blog

#7 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

I think the Premiership (and their budget) have it right. Although it isn't too difficult to replicate.

Still, I'll wait for what the ladies and gay guys have to say. It's aimed at them after all, apparently.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#8 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

Premiership/Premier League, footy anyway.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#9 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

TRL never afriad to tackle the important issues head on. ;)

I don't like 'em.

The players look scruffy.

They are pro rugby players.

They should look like 'em.

Kit on and scowling.

But don't forget you only got a head shot (often years old and in the wrong kit!) alongside the rest of the backs/forwards on a pitch backdrop last year. So whether you like the casual gear "concept" or not it has to be an improvement, no?

They're probably not aimed at the RL purist, which is kind of the point. My missus likes them. We're a dull bunch on here really truth be told, aren't we? It's a bit of fun.

#10 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

i think SKY have tried something new to the production of the programme, and while a good idea, i think its been executed poorly.

Good post on the whole, but it's this is the nail on the head for me. Don't mind them trying something different but poor excecution from a Sky team usually top of their game at stuff like this. Wouldn't be too surprised if they go the way of the margin meter and quietly dropped before long
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#11 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,729 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

Matty Blythe's try celebration footage was the least enthusiastic. Damien Blanch's was irritating the second time around.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#12 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,420 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

But don't forget you only got a head shot (often years old and in the wrong kit!) alongside the rest of the backs/forwards on a pitch backdrop last year. So whether you like the casual gear "concept" or not it has to be an improvement, no?

They're probably not aimed at the RL purist, which is kind of the point. My missus likes them. We're a dull bunch on here really truth be told, aren't we? It's a bit of fun.

Aye lad. Hence my light-hearted response. ;)

They don't work for me. Ill get the missus to watch 'em on this weekend (so long as it's not Cas) and get her views. Hold your breath TRL........

A Fev Blog

#13 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

Ill get the missus to watch 'em on this weekend (so long as it's not Cas) and get her views. Hold your breath TRL........

Until Saturday? Sod off.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#14 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

How many times do you think the guy filming the try scorer footage said to them "try spinning the ball on you finger or something". Again, a good idea, but poorly executed. White background, completely inconsistent with the look and feel of all the other graphics in the super league branding.

All the players in the pen pics and tryscorer footage would have been filmed against a green screen, so any graphic could be placed behind them..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#15 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

Aye lad. Hence my light-hearted response. ;)

They don't work for me. Ill get the missus to watch 'em on this weekend (so long as it's not Cas) and get her views. Hold your breath TRL........

Who/what is "TRL"? Do I dare ask? :unsure:

#16 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,420 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

Until Saturday? Sod off.

It was a big ask I guess.

Her view could be pertinent though........

A Fev Blog

#17 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,420 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

Who/what is "TRL"? Do I dare ask? :unsure:

It's kind of like you know, err..... us. The forum. Total Rugby League.

A Fev Blog

#18 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

Her view could be pertinent though........

Should've gone to Specsavers.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#19 brooza

brooza
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

I'm not keen on the casual clothes, personally I think it should have been the club's casual clothes (not sure on different clubs' range of polos/tees etc, but I know Leeds have a wide range, though London barely have any, so possibly not feasible)

Would like to see an extension of the Extraordinary Rugby colouring in the try celebrations rather then the pure white, just seems too jarring.

Overall though, pretty happy with it. Didn't like it at first but it's grown on me (turning point being Ryan Hall's video in the first game!). I just hope the wingers/high scorers have plenty of different videos recorded
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#20 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,420 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

Should've gone to Specsavers.

She might need to after looking at some of those gruesome mugs and tattoo-sleeves.

A Fev Blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users